• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Depth of Field

1. The 1st one makes a stronger image.
2. Yes if you tighten/crop into the image. No when you have to much image area out of focus.
3. I just take a couple. Do whatever works for you.
4. Get in closer with the lens.

Thanks for the info, and for showing the example. Very helpful. I see exactly what you mean, and I think I'm going to invest in a close-up filter. My G1X has a fixed lens, so I that's my only option for being able to focus closer.

Don't forget to use a tripod and remote or cable release when one is handy.

I have used a mini-tripod for all of my backpacking/hunting/fishing trips, and have been researching full sized ones for performance vs. value. I normally use the delayed shutter release when on the tripod, rather than a cable.

Onepixel's tighter crop is a vast improvement. My suggestion, for what it's worth, keep shooting, keep experimenting, and keep studying. Like learning an instrument, it takes time and practice. Eventually you will find what works for you, and you'll develop your own style.

Yes, the tighter crop is a big improvement. I also need to learn some post processing skills so that I can do what he did after the shot is on the computer. It's been a very fun learning curve, and you're right in that it's like an instrument. You can't really see the improvement day to day, but I know it is happening.

Personally, I rarely take a lot of shots with different settings. I usually have predetermined the f-stop and DOF. What I do is take a lot of shots from different angels. I'll go high, low, walk or zoom in or out.

This is actually gets to the core of my original question. You have a predetermined f-stop and DOF when you take a shot. I'm trying to learn to visualize in my mind what it will look like when I set the aperture to F2.8 or F3.5 or F4. I guess I just need to take a lot more shots, and maybe take notes on what settings were used so I can put together in my mind the input vs the output.

Thanks for all your help, guys, it's very much appreciated.
 
It was much harder in the film days. Now you have instant feed back. You'll learn and eventually it will become automatic. I've been doing this for 40 years. Hopefully you'll be a quicker study than me. :tongue:
 
It was much harder in the film days. Now you have instant feed back. You'll learn and eventually it will become automatic. I've been doing this for 40 years. Hopefully you'll be a quicker study than me. :tongue:

I must admit: I'm one of those lazy folks who never developed much of an interest in photography until it got easy with digital. I would buy disposable film cameras to take snapshots of trips I was on, and they'd sit for 6 months before I got around to developing them. It sure has been fun the the last 5 years or so, though. I recently joined a group on Flickr who commit to posting one shot a day for a year. It's great motivation to seek out something creative and interesting rather than waiting for it to smack you upside the head.
 
Back
Top Bottom