• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Destroyed Technics SU-Z600 faceplate

Ldsc2002

New Member
Hi,

I just bough a mint Technics SU-Z600 that was sadly damaged in shipping. After searching for one of these amplifiers for a long time, I finally found a mint one for a good price and decided to buy it. I know its not exactly a high-end amplifier, but I really wanted one because its the amplifier my dad had when he was my age.

IMG_0235.JPG

Is there anything I can do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Does the units still work? If no issues other than cracks in the panel, Keep an eye out on the auction site for a replacement front panel.
 
Does the units still work? If no issues other than cracks in the panel, Keep an eye out on the auction site for a replacement front panel.

I haven't connected it to speakers yet, but the unit does power on and I can hear the relay clicking. I also measured the DC Offset in case something less obvious was damaged, and it is surprisingly low for an amp of this age.

I will keep an eye out on the auction site for a replacement, but checking sold listings, it seems I might never find one for sale there.
 
Can you get some money back ?? That could help to buy a unit for parts. I think this can't be fixed. Your only choice is to buy another unit or another faceplate.
 
Can you get some money back ?? That could help to buy a unit for parts. I think this can't be fixed. Your only choice is to buy another unit or another faceplate.

I am waiting for an answer from the seller.

I found another unit locally, it doesn't work, but it looks like it's not in bad shape. Hopefully I can get it today and change the faceplate during the weekend.
 
I bought the other unit and its not in bad shape, its not as good as the first one but its better than a broken faceplate. I haven't plugged it in to see what it does, but I was told it doesn't work, I will try some basic troubleshooting with the service manual.

I might try to fix and restore the second unit using the broken faceplate, it might be an interesting project. My current idea is glueing together the broken faceplate, repainting the top cover and faceplate, and using a UV printer to print the labels on top of the new paint. I could even do something different and paint it satin black or another color.

Any suggestions if I try restoring the broken unit?
 
Any suggestions if I try restoring the broken unit?

Maybe letting go of the idea that is has to be like original? With the replacement faceplate you got one original, like you wanted right? Well, then you have another amp left (if you get it tot work) to go crazy with! Maybe built you own case? Mount it in some workbench furniture? Use only the power amp in parallel with the normal one to drive 4 large speakers? Open your mind, and be creative!
 
That’s great you were able to find a replacement so quickly.
I’d make sure to get an extremely healthy discount on the first as there’s no reason you should be responsible for the sellers poor packing.
I like the idea of refinishing the damaged faceplate and remaking the labels. If you go through with it you should post up a thread.
 
On the cheap, I've got good results printing a faceplate on photographic glossy paper and applying over the original damaged faceplate.

If budget is not an issue, I think you can do some laser cut thin aluminum faceplate and apply it on the broken faceplate. Lettering can be laser engraved at the same time.
 
Maybe letting go of the idea that is has to be like original? With the replacement faceplate you got one original, like you wanted right? Well, then you have another amp left (if you get it tot work) to go crazy with! Maybe built you own case? Mount it in some workbench furniture? Use only the power amp in parallel with the normal one to drive 4 large speakers? Open your mind, and be creative!

I considered building my own case, but for some reason I really like the look of 80s Technics components. As I will have one original amp, I am still planning on customizing the second one. I don't know if it's possible, but replacing the tone controls with something like a fluorescent spectrum analyzer (similar to the one in a SH-8046) would look awesome with a custom paint job.

That’s great you were able to find a replacement so quickly.
I’d make sure to get an extremely healthy discount on the first as there’s no reason you should be responsible for the sellers poor packing.
I like the idea of refinishing the damaged faceplate and remaking the labels. If you go through with it you should post up a thread.

I was really lucky to find a cheap replacement locally, and I am currently talking with the seller to reach an agreement. The project of restoring and refinishing a vintage amplifier is something that I have always wanted to do, and this is the perfect opportunity to do so. When I begin this project, I will certainly create a thread showing my progress!

On the cheap, I've got good results printing a faceplate on photographic glossy paper and applying over the original damaged faceplate.

If budget is not an issue, I think you can do some laser cut thin aluminum faceplate and apply it on the broken faceplate. Lettering can be laser engraved at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I chose UV printing because I have access to a printer that can recreate the original look. I will have to recreate the original faceplate on illustrator, but the result will be something that will look almost as look as the original.

I hope I can get the broken amp working, as I really like the idea of restoring it and having 2 SU-Z600. I know these are not high end amps, but I have tried many different integrated amplifiers with my Technics SB-F2MK2, and I really like how they sound together.
 
My idea is actually to print a new thin plate to glue on the repaired faceplate. UV printed or any other system. It could be even an adhesive vinyl. But I think that installing a new material will be easier and have a better finish than repairing the crackles on the original.
 
I didn't think of it, but you might want to check out David Tiptons videos on YouTube regarding restoring the damaged face. He mostly concentrates on old tube radios but does some amazing repairs of Bakelite and plastic cases that have been smashed up, in some cases quite badly. They would likely give you some good pointers on ways to go about fixing the damage.
 
Imo... I know how you feel... however hopefully you get your money back. seller sees the damage get your money back and keep it.
Another part of age is sometimes you gotta let go, one amp ain't the swan song of audio appreciation. Lot's of good stuff out there if ya can luck out.
good luck. :D
 
Hehehehe theyre no frills.... but a heart of gold....

whilst not a top liner (caps xfmr heatsink) will certainly drive speakers much better than an overhyped marantz

Keep it...

I got one from the UK (Z650) that got face panel totalled... amp works fine...

these came out in a few vaieties (Same amp core)

Technics SU-Z610 SU-Z650 SU-V66

MCS 2270 +hi cut + LED power meters +tape 2

Curtis Mathes KA270 +hi cut +tape 2

53C2A007-C584-45A4-A5F6-811E7FAF67B1.jpeg 9C644B90-9806-4DDC-B3C7-C1A44A14E061.jpeg
 
Last edited:
You said you found one that didnt work? - check Q71 Q72 on Voltage Amp daughterboard - sometimes dry joints or transistor failure.... or poor relay (dry jointed / broken coil wire connection internally)
 
The seller gave me a full refund and told me to keep the amp. I sent him a picture of how the package arrived and he said it was very evident the amp had a rough trip with FedEx and he will be opening a claim.

My idea is actually to print a new thin plate to glue on the repaired faceplate. UV printed or any other system. It could be even an adhesive vinyl. But I think that installing a new material will be easier and have a better finish than repairing the crackles on the original.

That seems like a really good idea, depending on how successful I am repairing the plastic I might just print another faceplate on a thin sheet of aluminum and glue it on top.

I didn't think of it, but you might want to check out David Tiptons videos on YouTube regarding restoring the damaged face. He mostly concentrates on old tube radios but does some amazing repairs of Bakelite and plastic cases that have been smashed up, in some cases quite badly. They would likely give you some good pointers on ways to go about fixing the damage.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check out his videos!

Hehehehe theyre no frills.... but a heart of gold....

whilst not a top liner (caps xfmr heatsink) will certainly drive speakers much better than an overhyped marantz

View attachment 2121588 View attachment 2121590

Your threads on the SVI2004 are part of the reason I bought this amplifier! Funny you mention Marantz, the SU-Z600 replaced a Marantz SR7300OSE I recently sold, and the Technics sounds much better with the SB-F2MK2 speakers I am using. The Marantz was a bright amp, and it was not a good match for the Technics speakers.

You said you found one that didnt work? - check Q71 Q72 on Voltage Amp daughterboard - sometimes dry joints or transistor failure.... or poor relay (dry jointed / broken coil wire connection internally)

Today I finally had the time to check the amplifier. I plugged it in and absolutely nothing happens. At some point in its life, someone changed the plug on the amplifier with one from a much newer Technics amp, and it doesn't quite fit. I checked the input voltage on the AC IN board, and I determined the plug is not making contact with the board, so the amp is not getting any power. I will see if I can fix it and check what you suggested.
 
I know its been a long time since I updated this thread, but I wanted to let everyone know the faceplate transplant was a success.

The original faceplate is in much worse shape than what I initially thought. When I started taking everything apart, pieces of the faceplate just kept falling off. I will still see what I can do with the second amplifier, at the very least it can be a very interesting project.
IMG_0542.JPG

This is the end result:
IMG_0544.JPG

I am surprised by how good everything looked on the inside of this amplifier, it looks as if it was barely used. The board is not scorched where it normally is on these Technics amps, and it was also surprisingly clean for a 36 years old piece of equipment.
 
Good to see all is well...

yeah some amps look clean as a whistle whilst others look like they have come from a pet groomers house that smokes like a chimney

yeah the 2nd amp you have surely could used in some form.... I’ve popped the faceless baseplate, main board n Xfmr into those lower powered all in ones that had the room.... should se the surprised looks when ppl see when a well know underpowered set is tidily driving some decent 12 inch 3 ways :D
 
Maybe it's too late to help, but if you still have the broken faceplate, might try some Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) on the pieces. It's used to solvent-weld ABS plastics and I assume the faceplate is ABS. The results I've gotten from MEK are typically better than glues. Strong smelling stuff so use in a well-ventilated environment.
 
Back
Top Bottom