• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

did you know your computers sound card is always default at 16 bit cd quality?

I wonder if I'm the only one that has no idea what you fellows are talking about. I honestly have no idea what a sound card is. But it does sound like something I think I may need at some point in time.

A PCB that you insert into the motherboard that decodes and amplifies digital signal to a line-level analog output...or coaxial or optical. Looks like this. (This is the one I'm drooling over at this point)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2033&cm_re=titanium_hd-_-29-102-033-_-Product
Being a PC gamer, I'm all about aftermarket modifications.
 
Last edited:
When I upgrade to win7 and buy a Creative X-fi Titanium HD, we will test that theory :D

That's something I have to check. I have the X-fi Titanium and I record a lot of cassette tapes onto my computer through a Presonus Firebox at 48Khz-24 bit. When I process the cassette recordings in Soundforge I assume the X-fi will follow whatever settings I choose in Soundforge.
Maybe not. Mmm..:scratch2: Do I have to match settings in the X-fi Control Panel? I wonder.
 
Yes, on mine it was set at 16-bit 44.1Khz... I turned it up to 24-bit 192Khz "Studio Quality". Not sure if it really makes a difference though as I'm using onboard sound...yes I know...but if I ever get a receiver with digital inputs I could always use toslink from my mobo, as it has it built in.
 
i reciently reinstalled xp and windows 7..
i have a soundblaster Audigy Zs soundcard.
after installing the drivers for the card. the default setting is maxed and that would be:24bit 192khz..
nothing had to be changed.
 
That's something I have to check. I have the X-fi Titanium and I record a lot of cassette tapes onto my computer through a Presonus Firebox at 48Khz-24 bit. When I process the cassette recordings in Soundforge I assume the X-fi will follow whatever settings I choose in Soundforge.
Maybe not. Mmm..:scratch2: Do I have to match settings in the X-fi Control Panel? I wonder.

Titanium HD.
Not Titanium or Titanium Pro.
This is the HD.
But the X-Fi control panel should follow whatever program is recording, but it should take setting priority when outputting.
 
What version of windows, pray tell? Could be a legacy issue.

-D

Well for the sake of figuring this out, I have an old Audigy SE (reliable card and well built as most older tech is) and Windows XP Professional Black Edition. Probably never heard of that I bet.

Srry for double post.
 
Well for the sake of figuring this out, I have an old Audigy SE (reliable card and well built as most older tech is) and Windows XP Professional Black Edition. Probably never heard of that I bet.

Srry for double post.

In XP you first have to tell XP which software to use with your soundcard, which will determine your driver set (I strongly recommend ASIO). Then you have to tell the software which inputs to use for recording, at bit rate and resolution. Then you have to tell the software what set of outputs to use, and what BR/Res to use.

BTW, most (not all) Audigy cards actually have 2 DAC's on board, just as a SoundBlaster Live! did. You may find (as I did on my SB Live!) that the rear channel in a 4.0 configuration sounds MUCH better. It uses a completely different DAC and set of OP Amps. Note: the rear opamps are MUCH smaller, so you'll have to turn your amp up a bit. That's ok, your amp *probably* sounds better than the main opamps on an Audigy.

Of course I'm not sure which Audigy you have, but it's worth a shot.
(and I have a copy of XPBE on the shelf next to me ;), never use it though )

But you can definitely enjoy an Audigy, you're system is as stable as possible (as long as you don't "upgrade") and it's already there, I'd call it a music server... :dunno:
 
Having just started listening to internet radio this winter I'm really amazed at how good the sq is. I use the miniature headphone jack via some adapters and run it into my vintage set up. One of those sound cards would be a good upgrade over the stock one that comes with the puter I'm thinking?
 
Having just started listening to internet radio this winter I'm really amazed at how good the sq is. I use the miniature headphone jack via some adapters and run it into my vintage set up. One of those sound cards would be a good upgrade over the stock one that comes with the puter I'm thinking?

Depeding on a couple factors, certainly. In theory, any half-decent soundcard should put out better audio than any mobo(motherboard) "integrated" one. This is only because mobo companies tend to throw the sound chips in as an after-thought (they almost always seem to be realtek or some such). With a dedicated card you should get better sound, if only through better engineering.

On that note, if your computer is a pretty plain-vanilla type deal, and is a couple years old, then a card may really make a difference. Our older emachines headphone jack(which is straight from the Mobo chips) had static and junk all over the audio, though still listenable, it was annoying. My custom (budget) rig has a newer mobo, and it has a much better audio set, even though it's a motherboard integrated one. Someday i'll add in a soundcard:yes:

There are several cheap options out there, you don't really need to spend a ton of money to get good soundcards, from all i've seen in the last couple of years.

In your case, I would recommend using the jack in the back of the computer for audio out (it may be what you are doing already) rather than the headphone jack.
 
I guess this story only applies to internal soundcards?

The external studio oriented ones I've used had the highest possibe setting as preset as far as I can remember?
 
what software are you using for that?

I'm 99% sure it is called Audio DVD Creator. I would check, but my computer crashed just before Xmas. It's a good program, it just puts music on a video DVD. You can load up a DVD with CD quality music. Or put hi-rez files(up to 24/96) on a DVD that will play on pretty much any DVD player.
 
I'm 99% sure it is called Audio DVD Creator. I would check, but my computer crashed just before Xmas. It's a good program, it just puts music on a video DVD. You can load up a DVD with CD quality music. Or put hi-rez files(up to 24/96) on a DVD that will play on pretty much any DVD player.

Ok, so it's not making a DVD-Audio disk, just standard DVD audio (boy, do the terms on this get confusing). Have you tried up-sampling any if your redbook CDs to 24/96 and taking them to DVD?
 
Ok, so it's not making a DVD-Audio disk, just standard DVD audio (boy, do the terms on this get confusing). Have you tried up-sampling any if your redbook CDs to 24/96 and taking them to DVD?

Correct. That is why it tops off at 24/96.
I haven't tried to up-sample yet. I know you can with this program, I just don't think it would make a difference.
I do have a 24 bit master copy of a friend's album that I asked for, before it went to be "mastered for CD". I also have a cover of a Bowie song they did that didn't make the cut for the finished product. It is on a CD, but I was planning on adding it up-sampled(and some other tracks) to the 24 bit DVD I made. I just need to find that CD.

There is a trial version here:
http://audio-dvd-creator.com/
I am not affiliated with the program or site.
 
Having just started listening to internet radio this winter I'm really amazed at how good the sq is. I use the miniature headphone jack via some adapters and run it into my vintage set up. One of those sound cards would be a good upgrade over the stock one that comes with the puter I'm thinking?
You could pick up an old Audigy or such for cheap! on eBay -- should make a sizable difference. Optical out to a DAC is another level, and worth the investment. Turns your comp into an excellent source. :thmbsp:
 
I guess this story only applies to internal soundcards?

The external studio oriented ones I've used had the highest possibe setting as preset as far as I can remember?


I think so too haha from what most are saying. although I did have to manually set my external firwire studio interface. best thing to do is just check all of them to make sure. :yes:
 
Well for the sake of figuring this out, I have an old Audigy SE (reliable card and well built as most older tech is) and Windows XP Professional Black Edition. Probably never heard of that I bet.

Srry for double post.

Oh...the pirated bit-torrent version.

You might want to upgrade to a legitimate copy of Windows 7 and/or a better sound card.

-D
 
The thing is that many Windows based PCs will send sound from soundcard to windows mixer which means resampling to 16/44.1

I can't say for later than XP config but this is the issue.

As I chose to use stand-alone digital professional studio HD recording equipment for the quality of sound, I haven't dealt with this issue for a long time.

But it should be possible to bypass the Windows mixer if sound card is external or has own slot.

"dolph"
 
Oh...the pirated bit-torrent version.

You might want to upgrade to a legitimate copy of Windows 7 and/or a better sound card.

-D

+1 haha...
yea the cracked ver of winxp usually doesent last too long because its vulnerable to virus attacks.. and not being able to get automatic updates sure doesent help.. :nono:

you didnt hear this from me.. but at my local library there are computer towers out in the open on top of tables for people to use.. there is also a sticker with a windows xp key on the side of the tower too. there should be no excuse for not having a legit instalation.. :lmao:
 
+1 haha...
yea the cracked ver of winxp usually doesent last too long because its vulnerable to virus attacks.....

So is that why my gaming computer (that runs black edition) is clean but my laptop (legit XP Home) has malware on it?
Your statement is backwards to my experiences..
 
Back
Top Bottom