• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Digitizing Vinyl: Recommendations?

Kong

Active Member
Good day people...

I cannot run out today and purchase anything (Christmas is not far away, and there are some family issues that may require some expenditures). But, I do want to start thinking about this.

My preferred budget is somewhere between US$200 and US$300. To some here, that’s garbage, but I’m an audiophile who cannot spend 5 digits on every component. I try to squeeze out what I can with what I can realistically spend.

Within those constraints, any recommendations? Here’s a brief rundown of my system:

• Pro-ject Xpression II turntable; Denon DL-110 MC cartridge

• Denon AV receiver with a respectable phono section (39 years old, but still humming along with few difficulties)

• Vadersteen 1c speakers

• A Nakamichi cassette deck and a Marantz CD player / recorder, but they’re irrelevant here.

Appreciate it folks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I use a Sound Devices Mixpre-3. It's a professional portable digital recorder. This unit is above your price range. But Tascam DR-07XP is in your budget. Zoom also makes some good units.

I use the tape out on the pre-amp with an RCA to 1/8" stereo pin cable.

I then go to computer to remove pops, cut into tracks, & convert to flac. If you have any questions about this process, just ask
 
Hello DT... thanks for the suggestions. I at least now have a place to start shopping.

I have good computer experience, so the digitizing, the breaking into tracks, etc., will not be a problem. But, thanks for the offer to help!
 
Hello DT... thanks for the suggestions. I at least now have a place to start shopping.

I have good computer experience, so the digitizing, the breaking into tracks, etc., will not be a problem. But, thanks for the offer to help!
Happy shopping and learning.
Software I use. Old version of Audacity (before they introduced spyware in the free app), Traders Little Helper, CdWave, and Foobar2000
 
Last edited:
Ya know, I used to have something a while back, a device from Pro-ject, that worked fine. Unfortunately, it eventually started to fail and stop working.

I like SoundStudio for digitizing. I’ve tried Audacity, and I forget why, but I was not digging it. Now that you pointed out that it includes spyware garbage, forget it. What are Traders Little Helper, CdEdit, and Foobar2000 for?
 
(...) My preferred budget is somewhere between US$200 and US$300. To some here, that’s garbage, (...)

Oh, well, some people might argue, that even a cheap Behriger UCA-202/222 would already do for the purpose of digitising records. But if you'd like to have a proper record level or respectively gain control, I'd rather suggest to go for a decent prosumer class 2 input/2 output channel model from one of the usual suspects (e.g. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 3rd or 4th gen., Universal Audio Volt 2, Tascam US-2x2HR, Motu M2, Yamaha UR22 MKIII et cetera - all of which offer more than sufficient quality for the purpose, so your intended budget isn't a problem at all...) - provided you'd like to record directly from a line-level output via USB audio interface into a computer, that is.

However, personally I prefer recording with a dedicated digital recorder (in my case the Sony PCM-M10, but the Roland R-05 is an equally good alternative...) onto flash memory card(s) to recoding with a USB audio interface directly into a computer - but either way is a viable option.

(...) But Tascam DR-07XP is in your budget. (...)

This one might require attenuators, as the maximum input level of its combined mic/line in is only -4 dBV (= ca. 0.63 V).


Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
What are Traders Little Helper, CdEdit, and Foobar2000 for?
Traders Little Helper (TLH), it's a tool to convert any file format to another, it will check to see if all tracks where separated at sector boundaries, if not it can fix the files. It can create checksum file, to verify any copy is bit perfect.

CdEdit My bad should be CdWave. This is by far the easiest tool to track a recording I've ever used. It's free with no ads. And it always tracks at the sector boundary.

Foobar2000 is primarily a player. But is filled with tools you can add. I mainly use it's tagging features. One module will read a txt file and will fill in Artist, track titles, etc.
 
The rock-bottom-cost option, as usual a subject of interest for me, is a spare desktop PC tucked next to the stereo. A cable with RCA plugs at one end and a 3.5 mini plug at the other connects my receiver to the PC. Note that a dedicated line-in jack is required on the PC; a duplex jack will not work, and for that reason, most laptops can't be used with their built-in jacks. Many branded PCs lack the dedicated line in, but quality generic-style system boards usually have one. A USB sound card should work if it has a line in.

I use Audacity on Linux. Because sitting on the floor is orthopedically inconvenient, after the capture I edit the files on my main desktop. Concerns about Audacity phoning home may be overblown, but those who are worried could run the capture without an internet connection (it doesn't need one) or use Tenacity, a fork of Audacity.
 
Last edited:
• Pro-ject Xpression II turntable; Denon DL-110 MC cartridge

• Denon AV receiver with a respectable phono section (39 years old, but still humming along with few difficulties)

• Vandersteen 1c speakers

I bet this rig sounds a treat!

You and I both know that big $$$ does not guarantee great sound.

You have chosen some classic budget winners here. Nice. :thumbsup:
 
Wow... thanks for the kind words @SONDEKNZ. I’ll tell you that maybe the only issue with my set-up is that the Vandersteens are probably too big for my small house. They need at least 3' from any wall, and they’re between 1.5-2'. (They’re also not standing on their spikes, which I’m reluctant to use because of my nicely-tiled floor — even with a coin at the base.) And, there’s little I can do about this space issue without completely rearranging my living room layout. When it comes time to get new speakers, and if I’m still in such a small space, I will look for a smaller pair. (I heard some Dalis once that blew me away. I used to have Snells (Type K), which were sooo transparent and detailed, but eventually the lower-end half of these two-way speakers began to literally tear apart.) But, the Vandersteens are Snell-like, being very detailed, though maybe a tad more delicate than my Snells, and they have a good soundstage.

As for the rest, nice recommendations all. I wanted ideas, and I got them (and none of them are outlandishly expensive).
 
Last edited:
The rock-bottom-cost option, as usual a subject of interest for me, is a spare desktop PC tucked next to the stereo. A cable with RCA plugs at one end and a 3.5 mini plug at the other connects my receiver to the PC. Note that a dedicated line-in jack is required on the PC; a duplex jack will not work, and for that reason, most laptops can't be used with their built-in jacks. Many branded PCs lack the dedicated line in, but quality generic-style system boards usually have one. A USB sound card should work if it has a line in.

I use Audacity on Linux. Because sitting on the floor is orthopedically inconvenient, after the capture I edit the files on my main desktop. Concerns about Audacity phoning home may be overblown, but those who are worried could run the capture without an internet connection (it doesn't need one) or use Tenacity, a fork of Audacity.
I bought an RCA-to-USB-C cable, but SoundStudio did not “see” the input. And, like you say, my Macbook Pro does not have a sound-in. (I know that a 3.5mm jack with three “rings” (forget what these are called) can likely do it, but I would have to look through my cables. As memory serves, this was still troublesome.)
 
It's really not rocket science to convert analog files to digital. A simple Analog to Digital converter (ADC) is all you need. Like this
Digitnow USB audio capture card.


Connect this to the tape out on a reciever or amp, as it does not have a phono stage. If you have an external phono stage, Connect it to the ADC.

Something like this is what some Turntables and the aforementioned Rega Fono Mini A2D phono stage include. Only with the Rega you get an analog phono stage 2'nd to none for the price, as part of the package.

This is important because you want the best analog signal you can get BEFORE conversion. IMO its a fine choice for a one box solution.
 
Last edited:
Wow... thanks for the kind words @SONDEKNZ. I’ll tell you that maybe the only issue with my set-up is that the Vandersteens are probably too big for my small house. They need at least 3' from any wall, and they’re between 1.5-2'. (They’re also not standing on their spikes, which I’m reluctant to use because of my nicely-tiled floor — even with a coin at the base.) And, there’s little I can do about this space issue without completely rearranging my living room layout. When it comes time to get new speakers, and if I’m still in such a small space, I will look for a smaller pair. (I heard some Dalis once that blew me away. I used to have Snells (Type K), which were sooo transparent and detailed, but eventually the lower-end half of these two-way speakers began to literally tear apart.) But, the Vandersteens are Snell-like, being very detailed, though maybe a tad more delicate than my Snells, and they have a good soundstage.

As for the rest, nice recommendations all. I wanted ideas, and I got them (and none of them are outlandishly expensive).

@Kong You have amazing loudspeakers that I have spent happy time with myself. They have quite a following, for good reason.

No doubt you have the Vandersteen 1C treble output setting turned to maximum to counter any unhelpful bass excess in your small room.

If you have not tried it, you might also get some big gains in clarity from optimising the "tilt" of the speaker - due to the Vandersteen sloped-baffle and time-aligned driver approach.

If the speaker is sitting perfectly vertical, it will be negatively impacting the time-alignment - with bass and treble reaching your ears at different times. Not good.

Have you tried tilting the speakers back so they are firing upwards a bit? This can deliver huge improvements - especially in a small room.

[Vandersteen understands this very well and even offers a tilt guide in this pdf... VANDERSTEEN 1C Manual ]

You would also be able to tame any excess bass by placing soft furnishings (pillows) or wall dampening directly between the rear of your loudspeakers and the front wall behind them. This will help dramatically in a small room.
(We do this in our own apartment!)

Hopefully the bass will become less overwhelming, giving the treble a chance to cast its spell... :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
Alot of good suggestions so far! I bought the ART USB Phono Plus from an Ebay seller a couple years back and have used it with a licensed dopy of Vinyl Studio ($20 or so), and then a tag editor program to tag and insert album art which I get off Amazon or Discogs. It works well for my needs. So far I have transferred forty plus albums.

 
Good day people...

I cannot run out today and purchase anything (Christmas is not far away, and there are some family issues that may require some expenditures). But, I do want to start thinking about this.

My preferred budget is somewhere between US$200 and US$300. To some here, that’s garbage, but I’m an audiophile who cannot spend 5 digits on every component. I try to squeeze out what I can with what I can realistically spend.

Within those constraints, any recommendations? Here’s a brief rundown of my system:

• Pro-ject Xpression II turntable; Denon DL-110 MC cartridge

• Denon AV receiver with a respectable phono section (39 years old, but still humming along with few difficulties)

• Vadersteen 1c speakers
As others have mentioned, this sounds like a very nice system. I, too, had 1C's for a few years, and while their performance was, I suppose, optimized with my AVA separates and using the weighted, spiked stands and all the proper tilt and placement guidelines, they were also good-sounding and a ton of fun just sitting on the carpet and driven by an old 25-watt NAD receiver. Without the spiked stands, they were really easy to move around, and sometimes I would have fun making speaker position changes from record to record. I used the long wall of the living room area of my small apartment, and I might separate the speakers a huge amount and angle them in more for large orchestral works, then maybe move them much closer together and point them straight ahead for a small jazz trio. Anyway, very enjoyable speakers whether painstakingly set up or just casually placed here or there as the mood strikes.
• A Nakamichi cassette deck and a Marantz CD player / recorder, but they’re irrelevant here.
I don't think I have any help for you, but I'm curious as to why the Marantz cd player/recorder is irrelevant. Can't that be used to digitize vinyl? I used a similar Sony machine to record vinyl records to cd's so I could play them in my car.
 
I don't think I have any help for you, but I'm curious as to why the Marantz cd player/recorder is irrelevant. Can't that be used to digitize vinyl? I used a similar Sony machine to record vinyl records to cd's so I could play them in my car.

Not a bad point. Of course the OP could also use that for digital recording - and then rip the resulting (Audio-)-CD-Rs/RWs with an optical drive connected to his Macbook Pro. Might even be a better idea than using one of the very cheap USB audio interfaces, such as the one linked to in post #15, as the Marantz recorder would most certainly offer a proper recording level or respectively gain control - and it might also offer better audio quality. But maybe the OP would prefer to not to be limited to 16 bit quantisation and 44.1 kHz sampling rate...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
@Kong You have amazing loudspeakers that I have spent happy time with myself. They have quite a following, for good reason.

No doubt you have the Vandersteen 1C treble output setting turned to maximum to counter any unhelpful bass excess in your small room.

If you have not tried it, you might also get some big gains in clarity from optimising the "tilt" of the speaker - due to the Vandersteen sloped-baffle and time-aligned driver approach.

If the speaker is sitting perfectly vertical, it will be negatively impacting the time-alignment - with bass and treble reaching your ears at different times. Not good.

Have you tried tilting the speakers back so they are firing upwards a bit? This can deliver huge improvements - especially in a small room.

[Vandersteen understands this very well and even offers a tilt guide in this pdf... VANDERSTEEN 1C Manual ]

You would also be able to tame any excess bass by placing soft furnishings (pillows) or wall dampening directly between the rear of your loudspeakers and the front wall behind them. This will help dramatically in a small room.
(We do this in our own apartment!)

Hopefully the bass will become less overwhelming, giving the treble a chance to cast its spell... :thumbsup:
Well, to be honest with you, I have not noticed any of these issues. I believe something is a tad off, I just cannot make out precisely what it is. But, you know what? I will read up on what you provided and maybe one afternoon, do a few experiments. Thank you!
 
Back
Top Bottom