• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DIY open baffles

TomD62

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well, like so many others I have been intrigued by the open baffle speaker concept. There are so many resources devoted to these it can be overwhelming. Thought long and hard about ordering a pair of Clayton Shaw's Caladan speakers, but they had been out of stock for months. The reviews on these are all positive, but after learning that the drivers are nothing special Parts Express offerings, I decided to go the DIY route. The design I ended up following is from La Dolce Audio (La Dolce Audio – Vacuum Tube Amplifiers, and More.). The reviews from people that actually built them is what sold me. Now the legal disclaimer, I have no affiliation with La Dolce Audio.

The baffle design:

1790026576269.png

The crossover design:

1790026622483.png
 
Register to hide this ad
For the baffle material I decided to use 1 inch thick birch countertop material. I figured 3/4 inch was too thin, but 1.5 inch would be too heavy. As it is, these are not light.

The raw 48" x 25" x 1" slabs.

1 - countertop material.JPG


Used a router to get the correct opening dimensions. The edges are straight; not sure why my iPhone makes them look jagged.

3 - both baffles routered.JPG


The cut off pieces are used for the bases.

5 - bases.jpg
 
I used Minwax stain, color "gunstock". Applied three coats of tung oil. Depending on the lighting there can be an orange tint. Wasn't thrilled with that but it has changed over time to become less orange.

15 - stained & 3 coats of Tung oil.JPG


Bass reflex cone installed before the 18 inch driver is mounted.

16 - bass reflex cone installed.JPG
 
After many months of delay, these were finally completed last week and moved up to the listening room. I have about 8 hours of SS listening and maybe 3 hours of EL34 time. I am very happy with how they sound. I have not yet tried them with the side wings installed to see what benefits, if any, occur with the bass response.

31 - in position.JPG


Morrow Audio jumpers installed between the binding posts.

35 - back.JPG
 
Nice! :thumbsup:

I like no side or not very deep, too deep especially with just a coil causes resonances (see MJK open baffle U and H frames).
 
Those look great. Can you elaborate on your thoughts on them? What do they do well? What do you feel like may be missing? What would you change?

I am mid construction of a set utilizing tge new SB Audience Nero-18OB500D 18" driver. Then i intend the install a JBL 2118J 8" and probably a ESS heil tweeter above that. However, i have a whole slew of options in the MF and HF drivers.. First pass will be a prototype platform with 1" baltic birch plywood..
 
Those look great. Can you elaborate on your thoughts on them? What do they do well? What do you feel like may be missing? What would you change?

I am mid construction of a set utilizing tge new SB Audience Nero-18OB500D 18" driver. Then i intend the install a JBL 2118J 8" and probably a ESS heil tweeter above that. However, i have a whole slew of options in the MF and HF drivers.. First pass will be a prototype platform with 1" baltic birch plywood..
The sound stage and imaging are really nice. Not as dynamic as my Forte IV's but just as clear. I am currently still in the discovery phase as I have not been moving them around yet. I would like to get a baseline and see if they need to be further apart or closer to my listening spot. Have not had a lot of time to zero these in.

So far I can't think of anything I would change. That may be different in a month from now.
 
@TomD62 fantastic work! I've been kicking around building a set just like this, so I'm very invested in your feedback. What genres do you typically listen to? It appears your related equipment is all top shelf stuff. Do you find a significant difference in the bass with SS over EL34? How is the bass compared to your Forte IV's? I've never experienced open baffle bass but hear people comment on it quite often. What is your current opinion? I'm curious to learn how placement effects bass, soundstage and imaging. Keep us up to date on your impressions as you dial them in.
 
Love this project! Thank you for including us!

I am pondering a Lii Audio FC18 with either an Aperion HE tweeter or AMT tweeter with the FC18 run full range and the twetter run through just an L-pad.

I have no clue how to choose the dimensions of the baffle.
 
@TomD62 fantastic work! I've been kicking around building a set just like this, so I'm very invested in your feedback. What genres do you typically listen to? It appears your related equipment is all top shelf stuff. Do you find a significant difference in the bass with SS over EL34? How is the bass compared to your Forte IV's? I've never experienced open baffle bass but hear people comment on it quite often. What is your current opinion? I'm curious to learn how placement effects bass, soundstage and imaging. Keep us up to date on your impressions as you dial them in.
Like you I had never heard open baffles myself but wanted to give them a try. After deciding against the Caladans the DIY route made the most sense. I will try to answer your questions as best I can with my listening experience so far.

Bass: SS versus EL34. In my room there appears to be lower bass response with the Krell versus the ST-70. This is also true with the Forte IV's. I have not yet installed the bass wings on the OB's but will after getting some more listening time with them off.

Overall opinion: So far I am very impressed with the soundstage, imaging, and quality of sound. I recently installed some NOS 6SL7GT tubes in my preamplifier and noticed an improvement right away. The noise floor was much lower. I have heard this expression used before by reviewers and now have heard it for myself, but the space between the instruments is much improved. These last two improvements were results of the new preamplifier tubes.

I listen to a variety of music from the last 60 years with the exception of modern country music. The other day I streamed Eva Cassidy Nightbird, which is a live recording. Was blown away, but that shouldn't be a surprise as she had a fantastic voice. Other recent listens included Depeche Mode (Violator), Alan Parsons Project (Eye in the Sky), Roy Buchanan (When a guitar plays the blues), Black Sabbath (Sabotage),... as examples. I do like having the L pad to adjust the tweeter; I believe the latest iteration of this ABX design does not have one.

Currently the placement of the OB's are 10 feet apart and 2 feet from the wall, which is much less that most recommend. I think they sound great but had tried them 3 feet off the wall with no difference. I will need to get some longer speaker cables before I can increase any spacing distances. Currently enjoying them as they are and will update when changes are made.
 
Last edited:
Very cool build! As for the wings, have you thought about putting them on hinges? Maybe a type thats easily removed if you want? That way you could move them in and out, or remove them for fine tuning.
 
My current design for the wings is screw on which can be easily removed. I have seen other designs with the adjustable wings which would allow for fine tuning like you say. I could probably install hinges.
 
Back
Top Bottom