• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

DIY record cleaning machine (RCM) consolidation and resource thread

Hi all.

I am going to convert my old turntable to an RCM and am having a question about Vacuum pump 12 volt, power and a switch
48243-5885-3.jpg
50548-11461-3.jpg
43844-4345-3.jpg


which switch should I buy and how do I connect them together, is there a wiring diagram?
 
^^^^^^Welcome to AK !

tumblr_n4gmwdPtcp1s2wio8o1_500.gif


On the first page of this thread, there is a rather exhaustive listing of homebrew RCMs designed by A/K members and others.
Within a few of these threads are schematics for power, equipment and wiring.
Scroll and click on them. I'm still in the process of creating mine using the same info.
Good luck and,...

:needpics:
 
Thanks all for help.

8xlaxx: Since I am connecting the turntable and vacuum pump on separate systems, I'm not connecting both
together. Not sure how to use that schematic then.
 
I'm planning on using a Cuisinart ice cream maker motor to power my DIY RCM, and am wondering should I use a belt drive system and have the ice cream maker turn the pulley, or should I have it directly connected to the flywheel shaft? And I'd appreciate any feedback on how others have mated the ice cream maker base unit to a pulley; the base already had the cog thing, so it would be great if I could just use that to turn the pulley instead of taking the base completely apart and doing something wrong and/or dangerous. Thanks!
 
JW, I found a Cuisinart to use as well. I'm still putting the parts together, but the plan is to use a shaft coupler. I would be interested in learning more about your plans as well.
 
JW, I found a Cuisinart to use as well. I'm still putting the parts together, but the plan is to use a shaft coupler. I would be interested in learning more about your plans as well.

I've found a Dual platter and flywheel on ebay, and am going to put those onto a wooden crate, and start out with a manual turn RCM using a record clamp. Then I'll probably have to do a belt drive with a pulley and try to figure out how to use the ice cream maker base. Lots of great ideas in the DIY RCM thread, but can't find specific info for how some have implemented the ice cream maker motor.
 
Re-reading a lot of the posts in this thread, I think I can use a shaft coupler with the ice cream maker, and bring the threaded shaft up through the platter, and use a washer and wing nut to secure the record. I don't have the ice cream maker base yet (cuisinart ICE-20), so I've been trying to find the motor diagram on line, with zero luck, to see what it looks like and what size the motor shaft might be that's connected to the plastic thing inside the base.
 
Anyone have any idea what size the motor shaft is in the Cuisinart ICE-20 ice cream maker? I'm looking to use that to turn my platter, attaching a threaded shaft via a shaft coupler, and then have a nut and washer under the platter so it will spin without touching the top of the box, then a washer and wingnut to hold the record in place. Would also appreciate other suggestions for what to use instead of a washer and wingnut on top, i.e., something that will cover the label and and secure the record. Thank you!
 
I finally took apart the Cuisinart ice cream maker model ICE-20, and I can't use it. It uses a couple rotary dials to spin, and the shaft I thought I'd be able to use to spin the platter doesn't move at all. I'm glad I only spent less than $10 on that. So now I'm going to buy a 12v 15rpm dc motor, 6mm shaft, use a 6mm to 1/4" shaft coupler, a 1/4" threaded rod, 6", mount the motor inside this wooden crate, then do some trial and error of mounting the platter to the threaded rod. I might have to implement some sort of sub-platter to stabilize and ensure nothing is coming into contact with the top of the box while spinning. Then I'm going to use a cable clamp mounted to the top of the box to hold the vacuum tube, just tight enough so it doesn't spin while operating, but loose enough so I can rotate it in the right direction so the vacuum is sufficient enough to remove all the moisture off the the vinyl. I'll be powering the motor with a 12V 2a power supply that has a wire attachment plug so I don't have to strip anything out, just attached red and blue wires to the motor pos/neg posts. I'm using a wooden crate with slats to allow for proper ventilation, and am going to cut a piece of plywood 1" larger around than the crate dimensions, and either screw it on top, or superglue four dowels and drill holes in the cover so it will just slide over them and stay secure. Or attach strips of wood around the sides so it slips around the top of the box, like a lid. I'm assuming it'll be a little bit of trial and error trying to mount the motor in the right position for the platter to sit on. I'll try to remember to report my progress and provide pictures if I can figure out how to do that in this forum.
 
Hi all.

I am going to convert my old turntable to an RCM and am having a question about Vacuum pump 12 volt, power and a switch
48243-5885-3.jpg
50548-11461-3.jpg
43844-4345-3.jpg


which switch should I buy and how do I connect them together, is there a wiring diagram?

I think I want to do this with a toggle switch. Can someone tell me how to connect it to a 12v motor with a 12v power supply? Motor wires to swtich, switch wires to 12v power supply?

Probably lead from power supply to the toggle switch, lead from the motor to the toggle switch accessory post, ground from power supply to toggle switch, ground from motor to either the power supply or the toggle switch.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
There was a guy on FB that sold the Turntable deck with motor and what not. They were really nice. No cleaning parts like vacuum or wand but his Turntables were really nice. I was going to get one but been to busy trying go find my Teac R to R
 
The toggle switch I received doesn't have the threaded shaft long enough to come up from behind the wood slat. I'm having trouble trying to find details on longer threaded shafts for 12v DPDT 6 pin toggle switches. Anyone know where I can find that info? Been looking on grainger and amazon, but that little detail doesn't seem to be in the specs anywhere. Thank you.
 
My DIY RCM is working, although I want to do a permanent PVC pipe install. The way I have the vacuum tube is held on with a cable clamp, but with the vacuum hose attached, it pulls the tube down from the back, so I have to hold the vacuum tube in place. It's operational, so that part doesn't have to be done yet, but I will want to at some point. So I'm using a 12v 15rpm worm motor, 6mm shaft coupler to the 8mm shaft of a Dual CS505-3 flywheel, which locks into place into a Dual platter. I had to mount the motor kinda mickey mouse to get the platter running level by screwing the worm motor mount to the top of the box, and adjust by turning left or right on the two different screws until it ran level. I'm able to use a screw-on type record clamp, and have a DPDT toggle switch in which to change directions. Pretty happy with it, as the tension when using the cleaning brush on the vinyl does not interfere with the spinning at all, and the vacuuming does not slow down the spinning either. I wanted to take pictures of everything along the way, but I did so much trial and error with the motor mounting and different platter options that once I got it working right I did not want to take it apart to take pictures of it.
 
For my toggle switch, I cut a hole through the wood and then mounted the switch to the metal cover plate. I then attached the metal cover plate to the wood. (And then I did this really ugly wiring job!)

1oHLLzf.jpg

KTqWNHt.jpg
 
I ended up cutting a rectangle out of the box and pushing the switch in there; fits snug, looks mickey mouse, but works great. Thinking of mounting the vacuum part more permanently with pvc pipe fittings (elbows and such); gonna think on that for a while.
 
Back
Top Bottom