• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dlk 1.5

Don was your uncle? What a great coincidence! A work acquaintance of mine just happened to mention that he has a big old pair of speakers he wants to get rid of. I asked him what kind, and he said: "dlk". I can't wait to find out more about them!
 
DLK photos

Wilke87 I stand corrected. I appreciate your input to set the record straight. Here are the pictures I have of the different looks of the DLK 1.5.
 

Attachments

  • DLK 1.5a.jpg
    DLK 1.5a.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DLK 1.5b.JPG
    DLK 1.5b.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 129
  • DLK 1.5c.JPG
    DLK 1.5c.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Round X-over.JPG
    Round X-over.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Square X-over.JPG
    Square X-over.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 115
dlk

I have a newspaper article from I think 77 or 78 explains the whole building process and that eachspeaker was tested before it left the factory, anyways I shall try to post it if any interest .
 
dlk

Here is a article from star tribune 1977, sorry article does not copy or scan well due to yellowing so just shot photos.
 

Attachments

  • dlk 1.5 009.jpg
    dlk 1.5 009.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 245
  • dlk 1.5 008.jpg
    dlk 1.5 008.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 124
  • dlk 1.5.jpg
    dlk 1.5.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 130
  • dlk 1.5 006.jpg
    dlk 1.5 006.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 154
I'm sorry to hear that your uncle has passed, but I am thankful that you are sharing his legacy with those of us who appreciate his contributions to the audio world. Thanks for posting the article! Please share with us all you can, we appreciate it! Do you have a specific date on the Star Tribune article?
 
Great article. It's pretty cool to read about this kind of stuff in the same state I grew up and live in.

Anyone know what the speaks are in the last photo? They look bigger than any of the DLK's that I have ever seen.

EDIT: I reread the article and it must be their DLK model 4.
 
Article from 1977, and yes those are the 4s in the picture and from the article they say there were only 200 of them at that time soooo how many do you think are around.I think the 4s were somewhat special order. My buddy has a set of 4s with marble tops he will not part with them , from looking myself the last couple years for 4s I have found there are a few people looking for them also...
 
Thanks for setting me straight. I had never seen the older version that MAXZ28 has, and now there are two sets on the Mpls. CL!. Anyway, maybe someone can tell me where this version of 1 1/2s fit in.:scratch2:

They have foam surrounds on the woofers.

Oh, BTW MAXZ28, draftingmonkey has posted pics of his DLK4s.
 

Attachments

  • TO45DF~1_edited.JPG
    TO45DF~1_edited.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Tom's DLK New 1.5s 005_edited.jpg
    Tom's DLK New 1.5s 005_edited.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 116
  • Tom's DLK New 1.5s 007_edited.jpg
    Tom's DLK New 1.5s 007_edited.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Tom's DLK New 1.5s 016_edited.jpg
    Tom's DLK New 1.5s 016_edited.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 122
Ok from what I can tell by looking at yours they have the earlier style cab but they have the mendota heights location ,the older ones would have a snelling address ,I shall check with my brother since he worked at the factory for a while and see if we can pin some dates down .Looks like your tweeters may of been replaced but since I have seen a few with those tweeters now they may have been factory.Also the article from 1977 mentions the mendota heights local.so this may help.
 
Sorry about getting back so late, but I was relocating to Florida. Now that I have moved in I can check the forum again. wilke87 you are the man! I really appreciate the information and I will continue to regard DLK's as some of the nicest speakers I have had the pleasure to listen to. Sorry to hear about your Uncle..He's probably listening to some 4's right now.
 
This is not about 1.5's, but I have a fried driver in a set of 1/4's that I would like to replace. Does anyone know of a suitable drop-in?
 
I am not sure about a drop in replacement but have seen a few of the 1/4 on the local minneapolis cl in the last couple months and also a few on ebay.
 
I just picked up a local pair (Mpls CL) for $50. Great set. This is what he said about these:
One pair of DLK 1 1/2 speakers.... These speakers were renewed not long ago by replacing the capacitors in the crossovers AND they have upgraded tweeters (got rid of those old CTS cone tweeters and installed new, modern soft dome tweeters - a big improvement!).

Just got them home and they sound great so far!
 

Attachments

  • 01010301150001040520080715efc6e188bc4f48e44c0059f2.jpg
    01010301150001040520080715efc6e188bc4f48e44c0059f2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 01010301020201030720080715a0f6a9e03f97ff189f0001a1.jpg
    01010301020201030720080715a0f6a9e03f97ff189f0001a1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 60
Good deal, Tinyelvis! I was also inclined to pick these up, but I passed as I prefer the older cabinet asthetics of the pair I currently have.

How do the grills look on 'em with the trim strip missing?
 
Thanks dood,
They are the hitch in an otherwise great set of speakers. Kinda beat up. I'm on the hunt for a second pair or replacement grilles.

TinyE
 
Seems to be an abundance of 1.5's here in the MPLS / STP area.....it's the DLK 3's and 4's that are sort of obscure and difficult to procure for cheap coinage. There's a CL pair of 1.5's in St Paul [ no affiliation, folks ] that look promising...you ought to check 'em out. :yes:

Is there any way to fabricate new grilles? Does your variants have the foam grilles like mine or are they cloth grills?

I've got my dumpster orphan Pioneer SX-850 mated to my DLK 1.5's and it's a killer combo.:music:
 
those are the ones I recently picked up. "North of St. Paul"
There is a set (1 1/2's) in Cottage Grove I'm hunting.....:scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom