• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do AR 10-inch woofers need special foam?

I am sorry to say that I don't see any difference between "original" and "generic" foams. It seems that they all made in the same factory by the same specs. The only difference is that they market them differently (so price for the same foams is different too).

You are correct, there are no "original" foam replacements available...and generic foam surrounds are being passed off as such. The JBL and Boston FF replacements discussed earlier in this thread are the best available replacements for the AR 10 inch woofer

Roy
 
You are correct, there are no "original" foam replacements available...and generic foam surrounds are being passed off as such. The JBL and Boston FF replacements discussed earlier in this thread are the best available replacements for the AR 10 inch woofer

Roy

Would this information also apply to the Teledyne AR92 angled, rear-mounted foams? I'm about to dive blindly into my first refoam. Thank you.
 
I refoamed multiple speakers, including discussed here AR, Boston Acoustic, and JBL. I use regular generic foams and they are very high quality, fit perfectly, and looks identical to every other foam I saw.

Possibly a beginner, who is planning on his 1st refoam, needs a piece of mind that he's buying "specifically formulated to his speakers" foam, so he pays for piece of mind 2-3 times more.

Besides, Simply Speaker and some others promote tear off the dust cap, that I think is absolutely unacceptable refoam technique.
 
Generic foams will probably fit, look and even sound perfectly acceptable to most people. They just won't be the same as the originals. Even the best-fit suggestions probably won't be exactly the same as the originals, just closer.

Originally, foam speaker surrounds were made from ester-type polyurethane. These are the foams we have all seen become rotted and disintegrate in as little as 5-10 years in vintage speakers. Since the 90's, foams have been made from polyether, which holds up better over time. Polyether foam's physical characteristics are similar to polyurethane, but without an original woofer in like-new condition, which doesn't exist, there's no way to A/B and the best anyone can do is measure and compare.
 
I have used Rick Cobb and been very happy with his service but it is good to know there are other options available.
 
I refoamed multiple speakers, including discussed here AR, Boston Acoustic, and JBL. I use regular generic foams and they are very high quality, fit perfectly, and looks identical to every other foam I saw.

Possibly a beginner, who is planning on his 1st refoam, needs a piece of mind that he's buying "specifically formulated to his speakers" foam, so he pays for piece of mind 2-3 times more.

Besides, Simply Speaker and some others promote tear off the dust cap, that I think is absolutely unacceptable refoam technique.

If "looks" are all that matters to you, then any number of surrounds will work. Acoustic suspension woofers require very compliant surrounds, and generic foam doesn't cut it. Measurements do not lie, "golden ears" do.

The best professional re-foamers shim the voice coil. It not only centers it, but allows the cone to be set at advantageous heights for proper alignment, vertically as well as horizontally. The dust cap can be saved with proper technique.

Roy
 
Send an email to John at Msound:
msound@citlink.net
One of the best when it comes to AR surrounds.

Roy

Thanks, I'll be getting on this as soon as fixing speakers gets back near the top of my list. By that point (hopefully at the end of this month) the therapeutic act of gluing foam will be just what the doctor ordered.
 
Thanks, I'll be getting on this as soon as fixing speakers gets back near the top of my list. By that point (hopefully at the end of this month) the therapeutic act of gluing foam will be just what the doctor ordered.

YES- John at MSound is an excellent resource for foam surrond materials, information and instructions. He is my "go-to guy" when I need help.
DC
 
Back
Top Bottom