• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do female audiophiles exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. Apparenly this discussion has already been had. Going forward, I will keep my demographic observations to myself.

I'll tell you what I loved; the CanJam. The Sennheiser HD-800s blew me away. :music: And I loved the Focal Grande Utopia. Killer, killer, killer :thmbsp:
 
Even in less than ideal conditions (B&H Photo Video retail store in Manhattan) the HD-800s are unbelievable.
 
I know of only one. My boss just happens to be female and she digs her music as well as quality gear to reproduce it.
 
WOW!!!! Some of these remarks really do sort of piss me off!! I have always enjoyed music and stereos. I became interested at age 13 and never looked back. I currently have a McIntosh 7200, mac C26 two MC 75 mono blocks a mx 110. all pushing a pair Of kappa 8 speakers and not to mention my thorens td 125, and a denon 62f. I do consider myself well versed in this area and I do not sport a Johnson
 
WOW!!!! Some of these remarks really do sort of piss me off!! I have always enjoyed music and stereos. I became interested at age 13 and never looked back. I currently have a McIntosh 7200, mac C26 two MC 75 mono blocks a mx 110. all pushing a pair Of kappa 8 speakers and not to mention my thorens td 125, and a denon 62f. I do consider myself well versed in this area and I do not sport a Johnson

Very nice rig your running. Maybe at some point in time, the human race as a whole can move past categorizing by sex, race, religion, sex, creed, station in life, etc... It is a shame.:sigh:
 
Yes I agree it is a damn shame but I will continue to enjoy this activity and will always love the music no matter how many idiots there are in this world. Thanks for the compliment on my system by the way.
 
Very nice rig your running. Maybe at some point in time, the human race as a whole can move past categorizing by sex, race, religion, sex, creed, station in life, etc... It is a shame.:sigh:


Ah, the feel good mentality.

The reality is, marketing departments and advertising agencies all over the globe spend tremendous amounts of time and money "categorizing by sex, race, religion, sex, creed, station in life, etc..." so they know who their target markets are and how to sell their products.

There was nothing wrong with me pointing out that Audio Fest was predominately made up of middle aged men. I'm guessing the National Avon Convention would be predominately made up of women. Are we so PC we can't acknowledge this?

Who cares, you might ask?

Well, I for one wish more women were into Hi-Fi, that's all. It's a fabulous hobby that should transcend the sexes in my mind. Why not? There's certainly no dearth of female musicians and songwriters out there, so why not more female HI-Fi enthusiasts? Just something to ponder.

"Johnsons" and "sausage?” Not trolling, just being silly.
:nerd:
 
My wife ain't, in fact she hates my hobby. I do however know of some that do appreciate good sound and music.
 
Some of the best audio ears I have known are women. Maybe not as much interested in the hardware side but, the end result.

When I had my stores, the one located at Smith College had a female manager and she hired mostly Smithies. As a group in equipment and system evaluation and combinations they left the best of my male employees in the dust in terms of obtaining results. As a group, their preferences were different, though. The UMass crowd went for power, even at a cost of less refined and accurate reproduction while the women it was the opposite. Most of their sales were in the 20-50 watt range. I finally let each store localize their offerings to their markets.
 
Audiophile to me is not a bad word, and I use it frequently.

From Websters, "A person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction."

Nothing elitist or politically incorrect in that.


I went to School at a very large University. My undergrad years were 1977 to 1981, right in the HEART of the late 70's HiFi solid state boom. I dated my behind off, and had parties in my apartment (I lived off campus in my Junior and Senior years) every weekend. I probably knew a thousand girls and tried to date every one of them, without success of course.

NONE of these women were into high end gear at the time. LOTS of guys were. Me and 90 percent of my friends, many of whom were taking Electrical Engineering, would debate audio to the 3rd Degree nightly while listening to Rock and Jazz. The girls would comment on how good the systems sounded, but most of them had Soundesign or similar stuff. A few had some decent Pioneer rigs, but not very many.

I think it's possible that Women can be Audiophiles, but the ladies I know today are more into hooking up their iPHones to a Bose Wave Radio than pursuing true high fidelity systems.

Like someone mentioned earlier, sure, it's possible. But just like shopping for shoes, most guys pass. Yet some like it, although it's a rarity.

Same with Amateur Radio. Sure, I've seen Female Ops, but they are not common. The bulk of it is "Guys".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom