• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you want to be done or do you want to continue?

I'm pretty much done with what I wanted to accomplish. I had a paticular brand name in mind when I set out on this journey. I have managed to put together some amazing systems as far as visually and sound wise for what I could afford and manage IMO.

I did not set out to have the best system in the world or better than yours just the system I had in mind and hoped it would sound good once I got it all together.
Although my expectations have been surpassed overall I know there is better out there but I had a plan and stuck too it regardless of my accomplished mediocrity.

Going forward the only thing I see that would change would be replacing a piece that is beyond repair (which has already occured) and continue to collect more music be it CD, LP, cassette, DVD and Laserdisc concerts.

If I came across a smokin' deal on a piece I don't have I wouldn't pass it up but I don't really seek those out anymore I'm pretty content these days.
 
Nearly done with the vintage system. I'll continue to experiment with the modern system, just not to the same extent that I have in the past.
 
I've been happy with the system I put together in the early 1980's. I still own all the equipment from then.

DB Systems preamp
DB Systems Power amp
1 pr KEF 104aB's
FONS CQ30 turntable
SME type 2 arm w type 3 fluid damper
Grace F9e Super
Aiwa M700 cassette deck
Yamaha tuner (can't remember model)

Since then I've retired the Cassette deck, tuner.
replaced it with Mac and iToons after transferring LP's to Digital.

Came into money and bought Crown PSA2, D150a-IOC, D75, and IC150a, and
JBL 4311's and 4312's, and another pair of KEF 104aB's.

Now days, I'm listening to DB systems pre-amp with Crown PSA2 and 1 pr of JBL 4312's.

Play room sound system is IC150a and D150a-IOC and 1 pr KEF 104aB's and the tuner.

Computer system is D75 and JBL 4311's.

As my phono cart stylus went past the 600 hours of use I have tried not to use it too much for fear of damage to LP's etc. I already found a replacement belt for the FONS.

Since I'm getting older (58+) I think my ears will wear out before the audio gear.
 
I'm pretty much done. I have a system in every room in my small house where I wanted one and had the space - five in all - and they all please me immensely. All are vintage two channel except for my living room Home Theater rig which is of course 5.1 and a mix of vintage and contemporary equipment. All have CD source capability, all but one have a turntable although my dedicated music room has two, and two have reel to reel. A few of the pieces were bought new and have been in my possession for 40 years more or less.

Do I still see gear on eBay and CraigsList that I lust after - you bet. But as I am at an age where lots of people begin to downsize and divest themselves of the stuff of a lifetime of accumulation, I have decided that I am going to keep everything and just limit future acquisitions because all of my audio gear and the pleasure of music that it provides is just too important to me to be without. My niece, who is my sole heir, will just have to figure out what to do with everything once I am gone. And please - no volunteers.
 
Last edited:
If I find something very good and very cheap, I'll buy. But I don't go thrifting much anymore. So pretty much, I'm done...
 
I think it would be a money thing with Me.
I get enough money to buy what I really really want...I'll be done.
 
:scratch2: Hmmm. Good question....

I can't ever see being done, especially since I'm trying to build the best systems I can on a quite tight budget. That means that I always know that there's better out there, and half the fun is learning enough to figure out whether pursuing that stuff is worth it for me and my system.
I also thoroughly enjoy the experience of trying new stuff. I'm sure much of that comes from my newness to all of this, and maybe that will get old after 5 years, or 15, or 25...but who knows.
I was looking at some pictures from last February when I dove headfirst into this hobby. My first system was a Technics SA-80 receiver, a set of Sansui SP-x8000 speakers and a Kyocera DA-310CX cdp. And that system was fantastic. I really loved it *then*. Now I wouldn't be happy with that at all.
I wonder if I'll ever look back on my system from now and think those same thoughts??
 
Except for swappin tubes, upgrading carts/styli and maybe a new Turntable, Im all done. Dont think I could be more satisfied with my stereo which is in my sig block.

Im all for a more "live" sound and Im pretty close to getting that. Only way to be closer is by being there. Now, its just time to Enjoy The Music.
 
I don't think I'll ever be done. The urge to acquire new (better?) gear is still there. It's just not all that important anymore. Maybe that's an indication that I'm close to being done.
 
After about 2 years in this hobby, I have a system that’s pretty decent for having been relatively inexpensive. I would love to be done with it, but …

The speakers definitely need to be up off the floor, so I need to buy or more likely make some stands. And they are old enough that they’d probably benefit from a re-cap. Plus they’re Klipsch so there’s that whole titanium diaphragm, air-core inductor, etc., can of worms just waiting to be opened.

Then there’s the pre-amp, which is okay but has one bad input that needs attention. Maybe just a bad solder joint but again it’s old enough the caps could stand to be replaced. And if I re-cap the pre-amp, I ought to re-cap the matching amp as well.

My primary source is a Sony DVD player that has a good reputation as a CDP, and whose op-amps I upgraded a while back. I’d like to try some different chips but a lot of the better ones are only available as SOIC, so maybe some Browndog adapters would be handy.

And then there’s the whole turntable thing. I don’t play LPs enough to invest heavily in one, but if I came across a nice Thorens I’d certainly be tempted, and that would mean a new cartridge, stylus and whatever else.

So, yeah, I’d like to be done with it … just can’t see it happening anytime soon, though.
 
After about 2 years in this hobby, I have a system that’s pretty decent for having been relatively inexpensive. I would love to be done with it, but …

The speakers definitely need to be up off the floor, so I need to buy or more likely make some stands. And they are old enough that they’d probably benefit from a re-cap. Plus they’re Klipsch so there’s that whole titanium diaphragm, air-core inductor, etc., can of worms just waiting to be opened.

Then there’s the pre-amp, which is okay but has one bad input that needs attention. Maybe just a bad solder joint but again it’s old enough the caps could stand to be replaced. And if I re-cap the pre-amp, I ought to re-cap the matching amp as well.

My primary source is a Sony DVD player that has a good reputation as a CDP, and whose op-amps I upgraded a while back. I’d like to try some different chips but a lot of the better ones are only available as SOIC, so maybe some Browndog adapters would be handy.

And then there’s the whole turntable thing. I don’t play LPs enough to invest heavily in one, but if I came across a nice Thorens I’d certainly be tempted, and that would mean a new cartridge, stylus and whatever else.

So, yeah, I’d like to be done with it … just can’t see it happening anytime soon, though.

Understandable since you have only been in this hobby for 2 years. Some of us are pushing 40 years plus!! :lmao:
 
It's all about the journey for me... Probably will always be looking around for interesting pieces.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
 
Lovely.....as usual.

I'm trying to figure out if you found Tom's comment offensive, but if you did, I'm not really sure why you would. www.records system looks like something I could be very happy with long term and knowing Tom's affinity for Altec's I don't think that was meant to be anything other than complimentary.
 
Why not take your Mom's advice she undoubtedly gave you gentlemen when you were wee small? If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything.
 
I'd like to be done.....

....and I was this close.....:D
Then I found a pair of Knight tube mono blocks......and saw some speakers that would match up with them nicely....and a Marantz SA14 SACD player.....sooooo.....back to our regularly scheduled programming. . :music:
 
Don't want anything, don't need anything - something would just have to fall from the sky. Like the time I found a McIntosh amp, pre-amp and tuner in a country pawn shop for 75 bucks for the set, which I promptly bought and flipped about twenty years ago (I didn't even ask to plug them in, just paid, loaded and left quickly - looked fine and worked fine). Not sure of exact model numbers but C2x pre, no blue meters SS, and MR6x tuna worth two grand easy then. Babies got new shoes.
 
Never done......

Anytime "you think" your done, there's "always" something that pull's you back in! :smoke:

One should never use the phrase......."I think I'm done". :no:

The proper phrase to use is......"I think I'm done for now". :scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom