• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does a Marantz 2240 look good with a black faceplate?

Embryos

Active Member
Hello,
I was planning on purchasing a black faceplate for my 2240, but then I thought about how it will look with the pure brown metal casing on the top and sides and that it may be strange with a pure black face.. It Doesnt sound attractive on first thought, but then again Ive never seen one. I know that I love the black faceplate look, but Im just wondering specifically about the clash with the brown. Does anybody have a pic they can share of the black and brown of their Marantz?
How do you feel about it? Do you like the look?
Please let me know and thanks again!
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a 2240 and love the original silver face. But that’s just me
I love the silver as well, but theres something about the black that looks strange and modern that I just like. But the black face and brown body? Im thinking its gonna look too strange...
 
Get it and if you don't like sell.

You do know the plastic will need to be moved right?

I've thought about getting one someday for one of the units. Just never have, do think it makes them look more Sansui in a way.
 
All the new production panels are just the aluminum panel. The black plastic will need to be taken off the silver panel and glued to the new I believe.
you are not talking about dial glass are you? I guess I just can't picture the plastic you are referring too.. is it like a plastic liner?
 
Yes, it is plastic not glass.
thanks for the heads up.. I appreciate it! that is kind of discouraging, I really don't want to mess with the clear dial glass/plastic. In my mind I was thinking it was a straight swap.. but you're right, the majority of these receivers have the dial face glued to the faceplate..
 
Also a few individuals have the case cover sand blasted and powder coated black. This looks especially nice with the black face plate. My understanding that it's not too costly to have done if you're close to a shop that does powder coating.
 
That's what I did with the 2245 I have here....powdercoated the cabinet and swapped out the faceplate for black.

blackCover.jpg
 
Also a few individuals have the case cover sand blasted and powder coated black. This looks especially nice with the black face plate. My understanding that it's not too costly to have done if you're close to a shop that does powder coating.
yes! this is what I am going to consider... I hate to completely change the original makeup of the unit, but I guess I may as well go all the way!
 
That's what I did with the 2245 I have here....powdercoated the cabinet and swapped out the faceplate for black.

View attachment 1738509
That's what I did with the 2245 I have here....powdercoated the cabinet and swapped out the faceplate for black.

View attachment 1738509
WOW !!
that is beautiful and if Im going to do it, I definitely should go the whole way with the powder coat. I know it can vary, but can you share how much it costed you? Also, did you remove the clear plastic plate from the original silver faceplate? This is something I don't want to do. I have been looking for a replacement online so I could simply install onto the black faceplate, but have not yet found one. I would definitely like the option of swapping out from black to silver easily, without having to disturb the clear plastic..
 
The cost was kind of weird. Originally, they charged me about $30 to sandblast and coat it. The next time I went for another cover, I got a different guy who wanted to charge me double that. So at this place, it depended on who you talked to. They did great work but you really have to get a firm price first. As to the tuner dial window, you're going to have to pull the bezel out yourself. It's not hard but you should be careful and go slow so you don't crack anything. You also will have to swap all the little black rubber donuts on the inside that the buttons pass through.
 
The cost was kind of weird. Originally, they charged me about $30 to sandblast and coat it. The next time I went for another cover, I got a different guy who wanted to charge me double that. So at this place, it depended on who you talked to. They did great work but you really have to get a firm price first. As to the tuner dial window, you're going to have to pull the bezel out yourself. It's not hard but you should be careful and go slow so you don't crack anything. You also will have to swap all the little black rubber donuts on the inside that the buttons pass through.
Yeah, talk about varying! I figured on average it may cost around $50. Thank you for the info on the "bezel". ( I did NOT know the proper name!!). and the donuts.. Im gonna continue lookin for a replacement bezel in the meantime..
What did you think of the look with the blackface and the original brown outer cover? Did you get to experience it? IN the pics I have found, it looks pretty ridiculous.heh
 
Never tried the black face with the woodgrain as the original was in such sad shape that I knew it would never been used anyway.
 
Here is my black 2245 completely inspired by @thxdave and his beautiful 2245. The black painted or powder coated case makes all the difference. Mine is powder coated.

IMG_3525.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom