• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does anybody remember when Alternative went off the air right across North America?

So what I initially thought of as "alternative" was stuff like The Church, Bourgeois Tag, Psychedelic Furs, Eurithmics, early INXS, early U2, and maybe the B-52's.

Even back then I thought that was horribly open "category".
 
Nah. You may be too old to remember doing things for the hell of it.

I remember doing things for the hell of it. But that is not how business is (or ever was) run. It is about the money. This goes back before Henry Ford and Andrew Carnegie, and they were masters at making a dollar.
 
I don't know what alternative music is, I think it was first used with bands like Wham and Frankie Goes To Hollywood, bands that were not quite new-wave or pop before they broke. Over the last 30 years it's been applied to everything but mostly more basic music.

Locally here we have at least two stations flying the banner, the most famous is 89.3 The Current which is an NPR Station. They don't call it alternative anymore (sometimes the DJ's do), it's now known as independent music. 20 years ago they were breaking bands left and right, not so much now-a-days, some of it is pretty out there and hard to listen to for more than an hour.

As others have said, music as we know it died around the late 90's with radio deregulation, most mainstream alternative stations were bought up and merged with all the other local stations, competition was killed and non-competing formats were established. The largest buyer of stations, Clear Channel, also managed or owned most concert venues so guess what music they played the most? Metallica is coming to your town next year, is it a coincidence that they are played every 6th song?

The radio business model has changed, stations aren't valued or popular for breaking bands or news scoops anymore.
 
So what I initially thought of as "alternative" was stuff like The Church, Bourgeois Tag, Psychedelic Furs, Eurithmics, early INXS, early U2, and maybe the B-52's.

Even back then I thought that was horribly open "category".

I don't know what alternative music is, I think it was first used with bands like Wham and Frankie Goes To Hollywood, bands that were not quite new-wave or pop before they broke. Over the last 30 years it's been applied to everything but mostly more basic music.

Locally here we have at least two stations flying the banner, the most famous is 89.3 The Current which is an NPR Station. They don't call it alternative anymore (sometimes the DJ's do), it's now known as independent music. 20 years ago they were breaking bands left and right, not so much now-a-days, some of it is pretty out there and hard to listen to for more than an hour.

As others have said, music as we know it died around the late 90's with radio deregulation, most mainstream alternative stations were bought up and merged with all the other local stations, competition was killed and non-competing formats were established. The largest buyer of stations, Clear Channel, also managed or owned most concert venues so guess what music they played the most? Metallica is coming to your town next year, is it a coincidence that they are played every 6th song?

The radio business model has changed, stations aren't valued or popular for breaking bands or news scoops anymore.
No wrong answer, really, but to my mind the aforementioned artists where conceived either before the "alternative" label and/or just don't fit with what I see it as. I see it more as a marketing label for what was music that had a broad appeal, but was a little grittier and harder than the prevailing sounds that came before it (hair metal and other less edgy styles) so that it was an "alternative" to that. Artists that were a little quirkier than what was then on mainstream radio, but weren't the kind of heavy, stadium type rock of the grunge bands and stuff like Primus were considered more "indie rock" or "college radio" type music. I think of the idea of "alternative" as something that had its roots in agressive punk rock sounds, but was more palatable to a mainstream audience. I see it as a kind of commercialized version of the heavier, more underground music that came before it.
 
Last edited:
We still have an FM station in the ABQ area that play nothing but alternative, from the 90's stuff to current, and they don't have that many commercials. I listen to it when I need a Pearl Jam or Third Eye Blind fix:

KTEG (104.1 FM, "The Edge") is a radio station broadcasting an alternative rock format. Licensed to Santa Fe, New Mexico, it serves the Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Northern New Mexico metropolitan area.

104.1 Mhz was the freq of our beloved and long gone WBCN in Boston :(:confused:
 
There's a radio station in Los Angeles which is definitely "alternative" & has been that way since the 1980s at least - that's KROQ 106.7, which I believe was a groundbreaker in the format. Another "alternative" station is KYSR 98.7 which calls themselves ALT. Sort of alternative is KCBS 93.1 (identifying as JACK), which plays an unusual mix of alternative rock, pop, r&b & even classic rock. Their slogan is " We play what we want!". These are the commercial ones, but there are also the college stations as well as PBS affiliated stations. Even though these college stations are in the L.A. metro area, only one of the three that come in well plays music outside the norm - the other two play jazz and classical respectively. I can stream the other stations that don't come in well though, and those ones play stuff outside the norm also, so there's a pretty good variety on local radio, if that's what you're seeking.
 
There's a radio station in Los Angeles which is definitely "alternative" & has been that way since the 1980s at least - that's KROQ 106.7, which I believe was a groundbreaker in the format. Another "alternative" station is KYSR 98.7 which calls themselves ALT. Sort of alternative is KCBS 93.1 (identifying as JACK), which plays an unusual mix of alternative rock, pop, r&b & even classic rock. Their slogan is " We play what we want!". These are the commercial ones, but there are also the college stations as well as PBS affiliated stations. Even though these college stations are in the L.A. metro area, only one of the three that come in well plays music outside the norm - the other two play jazz and classical respectively. I can stream the other stations that don't come in well though, and those ones play stuff outside the norm also, so there's a pretty good variety on local radio, if that's what you're seeking.
USC has two "college" radio stations: KUSC, which is the university run, classical music station. KXSC (formerly KSCR) is the student run radio station -- on AM. :confused: But USC also owns has the FM license for KXSC in the SF Bay Area, and runs it as a classic music station -- simulcast with KDFC, which I guess USC also owns. /shrug

I helped out a little when the student run radio station was KSCR and had its FM license. Fun times.
 
we had a good one in daytona in the early 90s..the crow(wkro) and a good one in orlando , (wjrr)

wdiz was THE rock station at the time. it was a kick ass hard rock station.

the crow was never a big station and they couldn't compete with wjrr so they switched to classic rock and the hog was born

then wdiz was bought out and did a dual broadcast over wjrr's freq. eventually wdiz became wshe and wjrr turned to a horrible mix of top 40 type rock/hard rock/ alt.

3 kick ass stations straight into the toilet in just a couple of years time.
Thank Bill Clinton and Congress for the 1994 Telecommunications Act. It destroyed FM radio and blew up the music industry.
 
we had a good one in daytona in the early 90s..the crow(wkro) and a good one in orlando , (wjrr)

wdiz was THE rock station at the time. it was a kick ass hard rock station.

the crow was never a big station and they couldn't compete with wjrr so they switched to classic rock and the hog was born

then wdiz was bought out and did a dual broadcast over wjrr's freq. eventually wdiz became wshe and wjrr turned to a horrible mix of top 40 type rock/hard rock/ alt.

3 kick ass stations straight into the toilet in just a couple of years time.
The Orlando station wasn't Wjrr, it was WORJ, out of Mt Dora. It was a really good station.
 
Live in the FM wasteland known as the Florida Treasure Coast.

On a good night back in the 70's we used to be able to get this great station out of Ft Lauderdale with the call letters WSHE, known as SHE FM. They would often play whole album sides uninterrupted.
Yeah, the Station I listened to which Covered central Florida and the Space Coast was WORJ, they would play entire albums, and prior to playing them they would give you the titles and the time of the tracks, it was for those with good RTR's so you could tape them. They didn't have any hyped-up advertising, and very few commercials. They sounded more like the old PBS stations of the past which play hours of classical music at a time. Now they just play slanted news programs.
 
Maybe I've got this wrong but the definition of Alternative music would appear to be music that has not hit the mainstream .....yet. Most Community and Campus/Colledge radio have dedicated programs introducing new bands and little known artists. We have them up here in Canada and I know you have them down there. KEXP, Seattle comes to mind in particular. Up here one notable one is CKUA who have a network of FM repeaters covering all of Alberta.

I've gotten to know a bunch of new artists courtesy of KEXP and CKUA. Check them out they're on line.
 
88.9 Radio Milwaukee streams live and it's a pretty good station with mostly new alt and Indie with some classic rock thrown in from time to time. I like the Sound Travels program which showcases music from around the world. Youi might wish to check it out.
 
USC has two "college" radio stations: KUSC, which is the university run, classical music station. KXSC (formerly KSCR) is the student run radio station -- on AM.
I didn't realize that. KXSC must be too weak of signal to pick up from where I'm at, because I don't think I heard it when I scanned through the AM dial not that long ago just for the hell of it (something I rarely do). I'm guessing they probably stream though like the other hard to receive local college stations I've gotten that way.
 
Back
Top Bottom