• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does anyone else dislike Halloween?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a fan of halloween...when i was kid?sure,but now?we lock up,shut the lights off and go out for shopping/dinner right after work...by the time we get home it's all but over...i think if you have kids and they're out,then your house is somewhat obligated to participate...i don't have kids.

things seem to be quite different today from when i was a kid...seems like not as many kids out,many that are have parents in tow,in truth kids today seem to have much less freedom[or even desire for it]than we did years ago...i would think with the way things are going we'll probably see halloween die out in the next generation or so...at least die out as we have known it
 
I strongly suggest therapy

How dare I disagree with what is such a classic "American" tradition. Maybe I should just go live in some other country where corporations being a part of the holiday and greed aren't par for the course.

It's funny to take it in a twisted direction, the media and people in large cry out against all these "handouts" in their various forms via serious political matters but find it quite acceptable if it's tradition (as in Halloween). Most of the holidays celebrated are just something different to get people to buy. Thanksgiving is time for Black Friday and trampling people out of greed for something stupid (Wow, an iPad for only $449! What a steal!). Christmas is "give me presents" time. Valentine's is "you better give me something if you care about me" time. Nevermind whatever original meaning these holiday's had. I don't really ask for anything around Christmas time before I get that "hypocritical" label, I feel lucky to have the things I do and want nothing more than to be able to keep having what I have. Many others like Memorial day seem like an insult to the veterans it is meant to honor, since most people just drink and have parties which have nothing to do with veterans whatsoever. Each year I get to hear my neighbors scream and holler as they get drunk in their backyard around Memorial day. What an honorable tribute to the veterans...

Say whatever you want about me, but I much rather the rest of the days of the year when people aren't so artificial and the given holiday isn't crammed down my throat in every commercial, sales event, and store I walk by. One of the radio stations I enjoy listening to started with non-stop Christmas music on the 1st of this month. Went ahead and removed them from my radio in the car, thanks for turning the variety alternative station into the "Have a holly jolly Christmas" station.
 
Last edited:
I'll probably get a PM from one of my moderator friends but WTF, it'll be worth it. What a bunch of freakin' grouches! A holiday is what you make of the damn thing. Go to a Memorial Day parade if you want to honor a vet on Memorial Day. Or don't go, that's what they fought for, so you can do whatever the hell you want. You don't want to hear X-mas (spelled wrong on purpose) music in November? Change the damn station...and put it back on, on Dec. 24th. Too commercial for you? Then go serve Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner at a shelter or soup kitchen. Just do something beside pissing and moaning about the damn holidays. And while your at it, stick a crowbar in your freakin' wallets and give some candy out to the little buggers on Halloween. Brighten somebody's damn day for a change instead of creating gloom and doom. There...have a nice evening now.:thmbsp:
 
I'll probably get a PM from one of my moderator friends but WTF, it'll be worth it. What a bunch of freakin' grouches! A holiday is what you make of the damn thing. Go to a Memorial Day parade if you want to honor a vet on Memorial Day. Or don't go, that's what they fought for, so you can do whatever the hell you want. You don't want to hear X-mas (spelled wrong on purpose) music in November? Change the damn station...and put it back on, on Dec. 24th. Too commercial for you? Then go serve Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner at a shelter or soup kitchen. Just do something beside pissing and moaning about the damn holidays. And while your at it, stick a crowbar in your freakin' wallets and give some candy out to the little buggers on Halloween. Brighten somebody's damn day for a change instead of creating gloom and doom. There...have a nice evening now.:thmbsp:

This ^^

No ****.
 
I'll probably get a PM from one of my moderator friends but WTF, it'll be worth it. What a bunch of freakin' grouches! A holiday is what you make of the damn thing. Go to a Memorial Day parade if you want to honor a vet on Memorial Day. Or don't go, that's what they fought for, so you can do whatever the hell you want. You don't want to hear X-mas (spelled wrong on purpose) music in November? Change the damn station...and put it back on, on Dec. 24th. Too commercial for you? Then go serve Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner at a shelter or soup kitchen. Just do something beside pissing and moaning about the damn holidays. And while your at it, stick a crowbar in your freakin' wallets and give some candy out to the little buggers on Halloween. Brighten somebody's damn day for a change instead of creating gloom and doom. There...have a nice evening now.:thmbsp:

Don't sugar coat it Ed, tell us how you really feel! :thmbsp:
 
I'll probably get a PM from one of my moderator friends but WTF, it'll be worth it. What a bunch of freakin' grouches! A holiday is what you make of the damn thing. Go to a Memorial Day parade if you want to honor a vet on Memorial Day. Or don't go, that's what they fought for, so you can do whatever the hell you want. You don't want to hear X-mas (spelled wrong on purpose) music in November? Change the damn station...and put it back on, on Dec. 24th. Too commercial for you? Then go serve Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner at a shelter or soup kitchen. Just do something beside pissing and moaning about the damn holidays. And while your at it, stick a crowbar in your freakin' wallets and give some candy out to the little buggers on Halloween. Brighten somebody's damn day for a change instead of creating gloom and doom. There...have a nice evening now.:thmbsp:

YAY Ed!!!
I hope you don't get reprimanded... I think you said what a lot of us were thinking!
billw
 
The pumpkin farmers like Halloween but I am not a pumpkin farmer.

I prefer the Christmas holiday since I grow Christmas trees.
 
When she was young I loved taking my daughter through the neighborhood trick-or-treating. Now, I love seeing the small kids come up to the door, not really understanding what's going on but they like the idea of free candy. The expressions on the young ones are great.

So those positives outweigh the negatives for me. But no doubt, there are some inconveniences and I don't like the older kids coming by later in the evening.

Terry
 
I like Halloween because it helped us to feel fine walking around in a costume and be something else for a few hours. My kids were introduced to that through Halloween and they kept going so they can wear costumes to all sorts of fun things, even give out Halloween candy in them. Today they call it Cosplay (costume play).

We call it imagination, and I like to think helping a young child to have fun with their imagination, on Halloween or any other day they want, is worth the effort. Who knows where that imagination will take them in the future?

Here's some costumes that were used at Halloween, Lessa in the wheelchair used her Captain Kirk shirt for 5 years, Trick or Treating and giving out candy, I wore my EMH uniform last week to the office and giving out candy.

attachment.php


attachment.php
attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


But I do understand if you don't want to participate. At that point, you've decided its not for you, and that's ok. Just let others have their fun too.
 
Yo OP. One night a year that kids are wandering the streets en mass. One night. And you can't get over it? That's crazy dude. Stop letting such little stuff get to you man. Chill out. I'm very ambivalent about Halloween but if other people want to have fun with it let them! Doesn't bother me.
 
Last thing I'm going to say about this, it's funny how the general attitude is you're a spoil sport if you think people should celebrate holidays for the right reasons instead of abusing them for whatever other purpose they want. If you're going to do that, make up your own holidays as often as you want about whatever you want. Sorry I have the "wrong" opinion on holiday celebration though, won't hear anymore from me about it.

I would but I might get banned.
The feeling is mutual. I have nothing to say to you that is kind, so I'm not saying a word.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom