• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does it make sense to buy a $150 USB cable when your DAC sold for $300 in 2014

qguy

Super Member
Does it make sense to buy a $150 USB cable when your DAC sold for $300 in 2014

DAC is Musical Fidelity V90
USB cable is Audioquest Carbon
Amp is Rotel 1090
Loudspeakers : Acarian Alon IV
No Pre-amp
Source is Laptop

Another option is the Audioquest Cinnamon at $75
 
Register to hide this ad
Does it make sense to buy a $150 USB cable when your DAC sold for $300 in 2014

I dicked around with Computer audio & USB quite a bit. Something I discovered was that going to a UpTone Audio USB Regen made much more of a difference than the various USB cables I tried. (Kimber, Audioquest, some hi $$ super dooper shielded thing, one that was designed to be noise free in automotive use, the standard Belden's etc.)

It was actually pretty interesting, once I installed the USB Regen, I could not hear any difference in the various cables I used.

I have since moved away from using a laptop and USB.

BTW, Acarian Alon IV, cool speakers!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
 
Last edited:
Yes there is I see a bunch of them

Oh yes they exist, is an expensive one better than a standard cheapo, nope. I don't get into speaker or component cable debates, but USB is a different animal. Don't get me wrong, different USB protocols vary with results, but will a USB 3.1 expensive be any different than a $4 USB 3.1, no. Same thing with HDMI cables; it's been scientifically proven.
 
Last edited:
My opinion: anything above midrange in price, say $20 - $50, will yield no sonic benefit (but might look cool and give you bragging rights). Bottom of the barrel stuff (like a cable from Walgreens or the carwash) can be unreliable.
 
And above $30 may be overkill. To Hajidub’s point, paying a little more buys you reliability, more solid connections and maybe some RF shielding; not much else.
 
Last edited:
If it is a standard 1m or 2m USB 2.0 A-B cable, I usually grab a handful out of the recycling whenever the IT department at work has a cleanup.

I'm not convinced that the digital domain is the place to be spending lots of money on cables in my system.
 
I always buy the cheapest cables I can find. I will confess that I did have a cable that I use strictly for charging break. It didn't really break, but it charged REALLY slow. I didn't think that could happen but I tested it. Sure enough, though it did charge, it was at around 10% of the charging speed of other cables.

BTW, the exception to my rule is speaker wire. There it is about gauge. I get 16 gauge zip cord, not 24 gauge. When it comes to speaker wire, it's all about gauge.
 
I am a little skeptical with USB cables, but because I use all other quality cables, I dropped the $75 for the Cinnamon for my PC based system to feed the Fubar DAC.
 
Back
Top Bottom