• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Don't plug your subwoofer into a cheap power strip or surge protector

Yup. I keep several extention cords around. 12ga, 14ga, and 16ga.
People don't always think about the gage of the wire when buying extention cords, especially the long ones.
Typically, ignorantly lowest purchase price driven !
I was able to educate a construction framing, roofer crews on why their circler saws were burning up frequently while I was a security guard on the site from 4:00PM to 12;00AM. in 1974 in South Miami, FL. while teaching myself electronic repair
They were typically blaming various brand circler saws as not holding up.
I pointed out that 2 saws being used simultaneously while a 120 v compressor was running were drawing too much current through the 16 gage 100 ft. extension cord causing the saws to receive very low voltage causing the saw`s motor under load to draw excessive current and burn up !

I eventually befriended and finally convinced 2 fellow pot smoking roofers to purchase a 12 gage 100 ft. replacement extension cord since they were also running a compressor for their nail guns along with the circler saws !

They were dubious until I promised to buy the extension cord if it failed to end their various issues with the 120 v compressor running sucking down the extension cords endpoint line voltage slowing down the saws motor while excessively heating them up.
After around a month of no more roofer saws burning up and their nail gun`s air compressor charging back up muck quicker, the sites rough framers started noticing and I explained to them what to do about replacing their under wire gaged extension cord with a more expensive 12 gage one.
 
You really don't want 16ga for 100' cords anyway. The only 16ga cord I have is 25'.

It really depends what it's used for because the gauge, length, and current all factor into what's generally going to be OK and what might cause a material degredation of performance.

5A load on the end of that cord results in a little over 3V drop. That's not going to impact much of anything.

A 15A load would cause about 12V drop and probably would cause noticeable performance loss of a power tool or whatever (not to mention 15A slightly exceeds the nominal rating of 13A for the typical cord type @16ga@86F)

From a use case, in a relatively stationary situation a big thick cord isn't a big deal. But, if you have to move around a lot pulling that heavy cord is sorta a PITA. OTOH, given the quality of cordless tools these days, the times of dragging a cord around on the end of your drill or screw gun have largely gone the way of the Dodo bird.
 
Last edited:
It really depends what it's used for because the gauge, length, and current all factor into what's generally going to be OK and what might cause a material degredation of performance.

5A load on the end of that cord results in a little over 3V drop. That's not going to impact much of anything.

A 15A load would cause about 12V drop and probably would cause noticeable performance loss of a power tool or whatever.

From a use case, in a relatively stationary situation a big thick cord isn't a big deal. But, if you have to move around a lot pulling that heavy cord is sorta a PITA. OTOH, given the quality of cordless tools these days, the times of dragging a cord around on the end of your drill or screw gun have largely gone the way of the Dodo bird.
I agree. But since my cords are used for various things at various times, I tend to just keep 14ga and 12ga cords around. I think the green colored short 16ga cord was bought years ago for a string of Christmas lights.
I don't use extention cords for my air compressor. It's kept in a corner close to one of the only two 120v outlets in my garage thst were there when I bought the house. That was a other reason I had the 20 amp line put in.
I plan to move my compressor over to the other side of the garage and plug it into that outlet. It's a larger compressor and pulls some current at startup.
 
I agree. But since my cords are used for various things at various times, I tend to just keep 14ga and 12ga cords around. I think the green colored short 16ga cord was bought years ago for a string of Christmas lights.

Yes, that's exactly why I have some cheap, long extension cords; so I don't have to tie up the good stuff for low draw applications that tend to stay hooked up for a while. Seasonal outdoor lighting, battery maintainers for boat and my old beater truck, etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom