• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Douk Chi-Fi clone phono preamp - EAR 834P ?

MisterDK

Addicted Member
Hey folks while researching phono pre’s I began wondering about the EAR 834P - which is apparently fairly well regarded - that is, the genuine version is fairly well regarded. Looking at fleabay, I see that Douk is offering their bootleg version of one.

Anyone here using one of Douk’s EAR 834P clones?

Opinions of it besides just “Chinese Junk”?
 
Register to hide this ad
Now why again 'Chinese junk'? These were really big ships that sailed the west coast of America and Africa long before Europeans arrived in their tiny ships.

Douk Audio just sells diverse audio products that are usually well made and sound very good at prices that make it reachable for beginners on a low budget. I bought several of their products. All very high quality.

Their tube products are easily modified. So if there's something you don't like it's easy to change out. Like coupling caps. In the 834 clone they're very accessible. That said, of all the products I bought from them I never had any major troubles. Unlike other Chinese brands (like Yaqin always something wrong with them but easy to fix), or my first tube amp (eq to €2000 then) from the UK.

I take it you are talking about the model with the copper adhesive strip over the front that covers up the fact that it's a blatant EAR 834 reproduction. It comes in 2 varieties, MM only and MM/MC with chargeable battery and mystery pods for MC pre-pre. IMHO the cheaper Mm only is more desirable since I have an excellent SUT AND low impedance MC's. In the original those pods are SUT's but in this clone I think they are some opamps fed on battery power with some charging mechanism I can't figure out (why they do it that way). This should work well too, especially on the likes of DL103, Hana EL, DV karat 17D.., Gold Note etc with high-ish impedance. Some people believe firmly in MC-headamps. I don't like the ones I've heard so far. To each his own.

I wanted to buy one for some time but I already have several phono-amps. And it's not rock bottom cheap. But I bet it's really good as is. And even better with some NOS PiO caps and better NOS tubes.

And there are other clones around with the same board, MM only, that look on par technically only not in the knockoff enclosure. And they cost about half. And use good components too.
 
Now why again 'Chinese junk'? These were really big ships that sailed the west coast of America and Africa long before Europeans arrived in their tiny ships.

I remember back in the 70’s as a kid when I would often hear the phrase “Jap Crap”. Well look how that worked out!!!

Chinese products are getting better and better by the year. The unfortunate thing is they will soon no longer be as competitively priced as they are now.
 
Now why again 'Chinese junk'? These were really big ships that sailed the west coast of America and Africa long before Europeans arrived in their tiny ships.

Douk Audio just sells diverse audio products that are usually well made and sound very good at prices that make it reachable for beginners on a low budget. I bought several of their products. All very high quality.

Their tube products are easily modified. So if there's something you don't like it's easy to change out. Like coupling caps. In the 834 clone they're very accessible. That said, of all the products I bought from them I never had any major troubles. Unlike other Chinese brands (like Yaqin always something wrong with them but easy to fix), or my first tube amp (eq to €2000 then) from the UK.

I take it you are talking about the model with the copper adhesive strip over the front that covers up the fact that it's a blatant EAR 834 reproduction. It comes in 2 varieties, MM only and MM/MC with chargeable battery and mystery pods for MC pre-pre. IMHO the cheaper Mm only is more desirable since I have an excellent SUT AND low impedance MC's. In the original those pods are SUT's but in this clone I think they are some opamps fed on battery power with some charging mechanism I can't figure out (why they do it that way). This should work well too, especially on the likes of DL103, Hana EL, DV karat 17D.., Gold Note etc with high-ish impedance. Some people believe firmly in MC-headamps. I don't like the ones I've heard so far. To each his own.

I wanted to buy one for some time but I already have several phono-amps. And it's not rock bottom cheap. But I bet it's really good as is. And even better with some NOS PiO caps and better NOS tubes.

And there are other clones around with the same board, MM only, that look on par technically only not in the knockoff enclosure. And they cost about half. And use good components too.

You mind giving folks a link to the ones that look to be well constructed? I am curious which ones those would be, and what their other products are.

Cheers
Mister Pig
 
You mind giving folks a link to the ones that look to be well constructed? I am curious which ones those would be, and what their other products are.

Cheers
Mister Pig
@Jeep
I will second that request. I rarely get rid of things so picking up paperweights on the cheap is a suitable path for me.....especially if the paperweight performs as a proper phono pre
 
...I take it you are talking about the model with the copper adhesive strip over the front that covers up the fact that it's a blatant EAR 834 reproduction. It comes in 2 varieties, MM only and MM/MC with chargeable battery and mystery pods for MC pre-pre. IMHO the cheaper Mm only is more desirable since I have an excellent SUT AND low impedance MC's. In the original those pods are SUT's but in this clone I think they are some opamps fed on battery power with some charging mechanism I can't figure out (why they do it that way). This should work well too, especially on the likes of DL103, Hana EL, DV karat 17D.., Gold Note etc with high-ish impedance. Some people believe firmly in MC-headamps. I don't like the ones I've heard so far. To each his own.

...And there are other clones around with the same board, MM only, that look on par technically only not in the knockoff enclosure. And they cost about half. And use good components too.

Yes, the one I’m asking about is Douk’s blatant copy; the one sold on ebay, with the faceplate covered by copper tape.
However, I’m also curious about those which use a similar circuit to the EAR 834P, but are available for less - in an alternative case. I’m interested in their MM only version.

I’ll also be looking for a MC phono pre or headamp, but not considering one of Douk’s for that.
 
@Jeep
I will second that request. I rarely get rid of things so picking up paperweights on the cheap is a suitable path for me.....especially if the paperweight performs as a proper phono pre

I sent Aker mjw21a a PM asking and received his reply - hope he doesn’t mind me sharing it here:

“It's an excellent stage and gives far better results than the Little Bear T10/T11. Even better when you upgrade the coupling caps rather than just tube roll. The nice thing about the Douk Tube Phonobox is its a bit larger than the real thing making upgrades easier.“

I’m assuming that he’s referring to the copy that’s sold with copper tape covering the faceplate - maybe he’ll chime in with more detail. I’d like to know if the less costly one in alternative case uses the same PCB and power supply as the “copy”.
 
Douk audio also carries a nice 1:20 step up transformer (SUT) for relatively little money.

There are so many 834 boards, kit or soldered or complete with case and transformer. Just type in "834 phono" and make sure you look 'international', sort by price + postage and look what happens when the price goes up. You will see several options but they are always the same 2 or 3 boards. As price goes up you get a complete package, better parts, nicer box and better (shielded) transformer. It took me hours to familiarize with all the options, so I'm not just going to pick 1 at my risk of erring with a deal that'll be gone next week. Learn a man to fish etc...

So I see 3 boards: 1 green square-ish, 1 green with seperate PS board and a brown/gold that looks most like the original. Even though they are all following the same scheme. The latter has a bit more room for tweaking caps. So use the better types MKP, PiO etc. You need a pair 0.1uF and a 1uF per channel of 250V iirc. These three are often white/blue/red blocks or yellow chinese bipolars. The cheaper ones have MKT by Ero/vishay, red Wima MKS. The better ones have Wima MKP 10 or other proper bipolars. They will say so if they do. My advice would be don't go for the more expensive caps but replace them yourself with much better Russian PiO or Sprague/Gudeman/Sangamo etc. Not quite sure but I'd pick >250V.
Also important are the resistors, the better ones will sport brown 'Dale' resistors. Those aren't in the signal path so they're fine.

Better is also a round (shielded) toroidal transformer. And the power supply makes a difference but that's not my forte. So I can't recommend on that.

The tubes; take none or Chinese and pick your own favorites. Sovtek LPS, NOS Telefunken/Tesla/Philips, or premium PS-vane.

In short, above €150 I see the nice rounded alu box with the green board. L4-28
Over €200 the square black alu box with the long board and shielded tranny. L12-37
Zero Zone makes nice phono amps too. I ordered their 6n3 model but didn't get it yet.
At €350 there's the Douk EAR clone with the (imo useless) volume knob. If you ask they also sell it without the copper cover up.
 
Last edited:
I remember back in the 70’s as a kid when I would often hear the phrase “Jap Crap”. Well look how that worked out!!!

Chinese products are getting better and better by the year. The unfortunate thing is they will soon no longer be as competitively priced as they are now.
It does look like some in China are following the old Japanese business model. Make and sell a lot of cheap product, build up capital and then start making a very good product.
 
The Little Bear T10 and T11 are now a lot more money than that. Like around 150.
They look really impractical. Input/output wires have to be on the back next to the power cord for short runs and to get wires out of sight. The on/off switch needs to be on the front where you can access it.

And what I recall it needs quite a bit of work to sound good. I already have a Yaqin MS23 that I applied star ground to and rerouted the signal path, replaced all caps etc. Not the same as the EAR834 but now quite good, and quiet. I doubt the Little Bears will do it for me. I will keep wondering what the real deal will sound like.
The real 834 board with shielded toroidal transformer costs 150+p&p without tubes (shop:Along8xx that I buy from regularly). It has a solid black anodised enclosure with button on the front and plugs in the back. As it should be.
Ps: this is the same board as the one I see on the 130pg VE thread. Only a lot less work and cheaper to boot. Just changing the 0.1+0.1+1uF caps will vastly improve sound.
 
Last edited:
It does look like some in China are following the old Japanese business model. Make and sell a lot of cheap product, build up capital and then start making a very good product.
Wasn't it: copy, improve and sell?

Chinese are investing way, way more in education than the US. They go to the best universities in the US and Europe and take all that knowledge and technology home to build their economy. Unlike the US where the educational system for the unpriviledged is becoming worse and worse. Chinese have very good strategic long term planning while in the US politicians aren't looking beyond the next elections. Looking down upon Chinese manufacturing and engineering is just arrogant and narrow minded. Soon they will surpass the US not only in size but also in quality. Maybe not in audio, but certainly in computing and communications. And in AI and robotics. Don't forget it's one of the oldest civilisations on earth. With a current calendar that is only surpassed by 1 in reckoning.

Some of their products are still a bit crude but very good quality. And very easy to tweak.
 
Wasn't it: copy, improve and sell?

Chinese are investing way, way more in education than the US. They go to the best universities in the US and Europe and take all that knowledge and technology home to build their economy. Unlike the US where the educational system for the unpriviledged is becoming worse and worse. Chinese have very good strategic long term planning while in the US politicians aren't looking beyond the next elections. Looking down upon Chinese manufacturing and engineering is just arrogant and narrow minded. Soon they will surpass the US not only in size but also in quality. Maybe not in audio, but certainly in computing and communications. And in AI and robotics. Don't forget it's one of the oldest civilisations on earth. With a current calendar that is only surpassed by 1 in reckoning.

Some of their products are still a bit crude but very good quality. And very easy to tweak.

Huge number of Chinese students in Australian universities also.

The Douk copy is pretty fantastic, however to get the best from it you need to upgrade the caps and run some rather valuable NOS caps. It actually betters the original EAR834P in the bass department and doesn't suffer the low level hum issues of the Little Bear units.

Myself and a few of my mates have found we can get an even better result modifying the cheap Realistic 42-2101A phono stage. The output caps have the biggest influence on sound. Replace with Miflex KPCU-1 for incredible results. Only issue is you need to build a bigger metal case to fit those massive caps in.
 
Huge number of Chinese students in Australian universities also.

The Douk copy is pretty fantastic, however to get the best from it you need to upgrade the caps and run some rather valuable NOS caps. It actually betters the original EAR834P in the bass department and doesn't suffer the low level hum issues of the Little Bear units.

Myself and a few of my mates have found we can get an even better result modifying the cheap Realistic 42-2101A phono stage. The output caps have the biggest influence on sound. Replace with Miflex KPCU-1 for incredible results. Only issue is you need to build a bigger metal case to fit those massive caps in.

Any internal difference between the Realistic 42-2101A and the 42-2109 ? Both look similar externally, with the exception of the latter having a grounding stud on the face, instead of the back.
 
Huge number of Chinese students in Australian universities also.

The Douk copy is pretty fantastic, however to get the best from it you need to upgrade the caps and run some rather valuable NOS caps. It actually betters the original EAR834P in the bass department and doesn't suffer the low level hum issues of the Little Bear units.

Myself and a few of my mates have found we can get an even better result modifying the cheap Realistic 42-2101A phono stage. The output caps have the biggest influence on sound. Replace with Miflex KPCU-1 for incredible results. Only issue is you need to build a bigger metal case to fit those massive caps in.
I have a couple of tube phono preamps that she Jfets for the first gain stage. Very low noise. The RS phono preamps use them as well I believe. With better caps they should sound even better.
 
There is a long thread over at DIY on the T-10 and T-11. The biggest problem with these is the US models. 110 volt primary power transformers were used. Plugging it into a 120+ outlet bumps the voltages up on the secondary windings. Not really a problem with the main B+, but it is an issue with the heater voltages. The 6.3v for the signal tubes and rectifier is over 7 volts. Changing the value of the dropping resistor for the signal tubes is simple enough. But for the rectifier you have to change the value of the two resistors present, cut a couple traces, add two more resistors and if I remember right, Float the ground. This will also help to reduce hum and extend the life of the tubes. Replacing the coupling caps with better ones helps too. But the heater voltages are the main problem.
The thread is titled " Domesticting the little bear t-11" for anyone interested.
 
Any internal difference between the Realistic 42-2101A and the 42-2109 ? Both look similar externally, with the exception of the latter having a grounding stud on the face, instead of the back.

Not sure about the 2109... We've sourced the 2101A
 
Back
Top Bottom