• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Drive-In movie amplifiers

macyjrm

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Much of my misspent youth involved taking young ladies to one of the two drive in theaters we had in my modest home town. Mind you this was back in the early 1960's. I was recently reminiscing with an old friend about those fine old days when a question occurred to me. What was driving the several hundred small speakers that populated those old drive-ins? They had to be tube driven since solid state was still in its infancy. I've enjoyed threads on AK involving robust movie theater amps (RCA and such) but I don't recall any threads involving drive in amps which I'm assuming needed more power. Can anyone here provide some insight on this most insignificant question?
 
Register to hide this ad
My guess would be they used constant voltage sound distribution systems back in the day, perhaps a 70-volt system.

Depending on how each speaker was tapped for power, it may not take too huge of amplification to get it done.

For example, if each speaker was tapped at 0.25W or 0.5W, you could power 200 to 400 speakers with one 100W amp (or a couple smaller ones, totaling same).

I don't know what the tapping for each speaker would be for sure, but I can't imagine it would be too much more than that just to put the sound into the car.
 
The local drive-in near me had a couple of RCA 200w theater / PA amps. My friend bought them when they turned into a condominium.
I can't find any info on them online, but they each had 4 6550 tubes for output, the output transformer had a output good to 15khz and quite a bit of mechanical hum from the power transformers. Mi- something for a model #. A beast for heat and weight
 
Last edited:
Usually,Altec 1570B's. I have three of these monsters,and they all came out of drive in's. Used them in my system for a while,but between the heat,size & high-voltage,they are anything but kid or pet friendly:)
 

Attachments

Big constant voltage amps would be the logical thing. You might also see some of Bogen's higher power gear used for this kind of task. I know they had some 200 watt sound distribution amps that wouldn't have been out of place for that kind of job. I have two of the 100w amps, and they're heavy SOB's.
 
Usually,Altec 1570B's. I have three of these monsters,and they all came out of drive in's. Used them in my system for a while,but between the heat,size & high-voltage,they are anything but kid or pet friendly:)

What a beast.
 
What a beast.

I was really rather fanatical about them at the time.But my ex was terrified of them,and with good reason,so I retired them.I have often thought of restoring them,possibly with the Tom Tutay mods.For a monster commercial public address power amp,these things sound absolutely incredible! And boy,do they look cool in the dark:eek:
 
The local drive-in near me had a couple of RCA 200w theater / PA amps. My friend bought them when they turned into a condominium.
I can't find any info on them online, but they each had 4 6550 tubes for output, the output transformer had a output good to 15khz and quite a bit of mechanical hum from the power transformers. Mi- something for a model #. A beast for heat and weight

Mi sounds like the start of a RCA number,,,
 
Pics, ARTS, Pics I say.

Sorry DR,but mine are buried in storage,and are just too darned big to go digging out for a photo shoot. Here's a couple from the interweb just for drooling over:


images
upload_2016-11-28_9-4-32.jpeg
 
Thanks guys this is exactly the response I was hoping. Thanks to "I like Music" for the visuals. I'm hoping to discover an amp someday in an old venue somewhere.
 
Thanks guys this is exactly the response I was hoping. Thanks to "I like Music" for the visuals. I'm hoping to discover an amp someday in an old venue somewhere.

Long story, tried to recall as much as I could -

I pulled the gear out of a drive-in near me July 1992. I can date it that exactly too! Actually got the gear out while the bulldozer was spooling up to demo the projection booth. I literally was driving by (after seeing regular demo of a week or so) and saw the demo crew on site. I drove up to the booth and asked if I could look inside then saw it was still stuffed with electronics. Then I asked if I could have the gear and they said to be quick. I was in my wife's car and did not have my tools. The only thing in the car was a combo tool adjustable wrench w/ screwdrivers, can opener, & file that folded out of the handle like knife blades. Absolutely miserable to use. It was also mid-July with equator level humidity and I got stung several times by wasps. However, I got all the tube gear!

There were 3 systems in there that likely coincided with first system, upgrade to 2nd screen, and final switchover to solid-state. All the speaker poles had transformers in the heads so it was clearly a constant voltage system. What I believe the original sound system used were a pair of Simplex AM-1001 amps. They were still in place but not wired up. I wish I'd been able to get the rack they were in. The amps slid out like drawers and flipped over to service them. It was clear that this was the original rack they were installed in. The bolts that secured them in and these took the longest to get out.

The second screen system used a pair of Simplex AM-1026 booster amps. A pair of Century 5W-117 (I think) drove the AM-1026's. All this was on steel industrial stye shelves, not a rack. The amps were just sitting in place and easy to get out. The were also no longer wired up but left in place. Although the AM-1001 needed extensive repairs to get running again, the AM-1026s worked without issue which was pretty amazing. The Century amps however did not. The projectors were long gone and I don't know what the preamp drives were from them to the various amps.

Lastly was the final change to solid-state. There were a pair of Bogen or Dukane (can't recall) mixer amps which I left. They were rusty right through the paint even though the room itself was pretty dry. I'd guess the solid-state gear was used until the early-mid 80s. Sometime after that the drive-in switched over to wireless FM transmission. (That gear was long gone in the projection booth as were all the speakers from the poles.) I know it was wireless FM in summer 1985 as myself and a bunch of coworkers went there after work and saw Lifeforce. A few years later I married one of my coworkers and we still are. As an aside which I will only admit here, I was on my way to meet my wife for Lamaze class. I made it to the class sweaty but just in time, my wife had no inkling what I'd been up to, and my son was born a couple months later.....

All the gear except the Century amps are long gone. The AM-1001s were absolute **** for full-range use when I got them running. They were clearly designed only for the bandwidth of the 4" pole speakers. The AM-1026s were great though. Although it was tough to get over that you needed an amp to run them, they sounded fine off a Scott 299. I set up in my listening room for a bit before they went on down the road. The Century amps used the same iron as the Altec A127, one of the best 6L6 amps ever IMO. One of them had a blown output transformer (TL-217) but I got another off a roached Altec 323 amp. I like to build a set of pseudo A127s from this pile.

Simplex AM-1001


6286667346_ed87d147a0_b.jpg


Simplex AM-1026

pair-simplex-am1026-ipc-amplifiers_1_73aa6bd576ad78e772bfd83687aae008.jpg
 
Nice amps and a very cool story Soundmotor. I can identify with that frantic,heart-stopping feeling you get when you land in that ''yep,you can have (whatever),but it's gotta go RIGHT NOW'' and you've got no tools with you,sometimes no transport,and generally no one to help you. Cripes,I'm getting an upset stomach just thinking about it:(
 
Apparently, the Ballantyne Company was a major supplier of drive in movie equipment and sold projectors and sound systems. I have managed to find two of their amps over the years, but was never able to find a mate for either one. They both have 500r output transformers. I have contemplated making each one into a stereo amp; SE 845 and SE 300B. The SX-460 used 6146 output tubes which I converted to a KT88 amp by replacing the output transformer with a Dynaco Mk III clone. It is a real beast that I used in the garage with a 15" full range speaker.

The MX-24 uses PP 805s IT driven by a PP pair of 6B4 triodes that are driven by a 6J5 through an interstage transformer that also splits phase. It is a really sophisticated amp with a scary B+ of a kilo-volt.
 

Attachments

  • ballantyne 4.jpg
    ballantyne 4.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Ballantyne_amp1.jpg
    Ballantyne_amp1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 41
  • garage4.jpg
    garage4.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 41
Long before many drive-ins closed, and those that remain today converted to radio sound, where you picked up the sound over your car radio. The labor costs of repairing and replacing speakers every night from people who drove off with the speaker hanging in their window got to be too great.
 
The MX-24 uses PP 805s IT driven by a PP pair of 6B4 triodes that are driven by a 6J5 through an interstage transformer that also splits phase. It is a really sophisticated amp with a scary B+ of a kilo-volt.

Gee,and I thought my 1570B's were the big boy's on the block.When you see an amp with plate-cap rectifiers (those are 866's, aren't they?) and ceramic grommets for transformer lead breakouts,you know you're in the big league!
 
Nice amps and a very cool story Soundmotor. I can identify with that frantic,heart-stopping feeling you get when you land in that ''yep,you can have (whatever),but it's gotta go RIGHT NOW'' and you've got no tools with you,sometimes no transport,and generally no one to help you. Cripes,I'm getting an upset stomach just thinking about it:(

That is one reason why I have a toolbox in every car I own. With at least every type of screw driver, most wrench sizes, pliers, needle-noses and vise grips, wire cutters, a socket set and a hammer.

I THINK I even have an electric drill in each car. Though, I may have borrowed one of them for somewhere in the house, now...

I should also have a multi-meter in each car too...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom