• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Dual 1009 cuing rate question?

Dow Corning #4 doesn't work by itself; it's way too fast. That was a surprise, as I'm used to grease being stickier than fluid.

Then I tried mixing them. Grease on one layer, fluid on the other. Too slow.

Then I tried grease on one layer, and 50-50 mix of grease and fluid on the other. Bingo! 5 seconds for a one-inch drop, and it repeated exactly the same after sitting overnight.

But I used 500k fluid by accident. So there's a recipe with good initial results, but not the one I intended to try.

It's important to mix the two completely; otherwise you get patches of high and low drag as the arm falls. If I continue in this line of investigation, I'll try a mix of DC#4 and 100k fluid, applied to both layers.

Not many people are likely to have a tube of Dow Corning #4, but the exact same material is repackaged in auto parts stores as "spark plug boot release", "dielectric tune-up grease", and the like. Mixed with fluid, the grease performs two functions: (a) reduce the overall viscosity, and (b) reduce creep. The latter comes from grease's ability to maintain shape without a container.

I'll give this a few days, to confirm that the grease and fluid don't separate.

UPDATE: I cut this short because it's too complicated.

Dave
 

Attachments

  • 512va8iWplL__SY300_.jpg
    512va8iWplL__SY300_.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Trying straight 100k fluid on both layers. Eight seconds for a one-inch drop. Next morning there was a drip on the paper beneath. I will continue to monitor.
 
One more drip then it stopped. Rate is still good. I think this is it.

This doesn't mean that I disapprove of the Gunk solution above. If I wasn't tired of wiping out silicone, I'd try it.
 
Last edited:
Nope. After a few weeks it starts hanging up. Back to the drawing board! Looks like the cheapest source for Gunk GR2 is eBay. I've got a Lowes and a Home Depot five minutes from my house, and not only do they not stock it, they've never heard of it.
 
GrampaDave, after a year of use my 1009 is still working great with the product that I mentioned earlier. I don't know what the viscosity is but it works.

100k cs is not viscous enough. There should be no dripping.
 
It's a shame they didn't damp automatic lowering, but the design doesn't provide for it easily.

The 1019 has SEMI-automatic damped lowering. If you raise the arm using the cueing lever BEFORE pushing the control lever to START, the arm lowering will be damped. However if you are playing a stack of records, this only works for the first record in the stack.

Since most users of Dual 1019s (and similar units) now play records singly...not least because the rubber wedges in the Dual 10-series spindles rot and the spindles become inoperative without some clever repair...this usually is sufficient.
 
Yes, sorry for not being clear. I was wishing they had managed a slow descent always, not just Manual or "first-time auto". Since cueing was an add-on feature, I give them plenty of credit for what they achieved.

I think I have finally figured out my trouble, but it would be redundant to repost it here in spite of topic appropriateness. See my 14 Jan 2014 19:24 post in "Dual 1019 Auto/Manual Stop Issue...". I will post my final findings here, where the next guy will be looking.
 
Back
Top Bottom