• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1228 Base Difference?

Register to hide this ad
The 1st one is a base supplied by the USA importer- United Audio.
The 2nd photo reveals a base supplied by Dual, itself.

Bases were supplied by U.A., Dual, Noresco (Canadian importer), and possibly others. Dual made some nice bases [and some dogs], with hidden storage for accessories.
Most bases that U.A. made were not as good as from other suppliers. They did have one or two attractive bases, but charged enough, to make them scarce.

The bean-counters at U.A were pricks. Many Dual models that they imported were lacking the chassis anti-resonance plates, because it cost more $$$$$ to ship the extra weight [lead] from Germany to Mount Vernon, N.Y..

Make your own base, and make it as dense as possible. Base construction dramatically affects how much rumble the turntable makes.

Seth
Forever Analog
 
Don't I know it. I got the cheapo PlastiCrap base on mine and it dampens not one single footfall. I had to put the whole shebang on foam rubber pieces. This might make a heck of a winter DIY project:)!
Tom
 
Thanks
The one I have from UA makes the TT look smaller. I think both bases look good.

But the one from Dual has the better looking dust cover on it. The one on mine looks like crap.


Seth, the 1228 you helped me fix is still operating flawlessly. It gets about equal playing time with my Pioneer. Can`t make up my mind on which one I like best.

TankDonovan
 
I like the 2nd one - "1228 - same as the 1229"

I guess truth in advertising doesn't matter anymore.

Another thing about the UA bases - the insert that actually held the turntable was 1/4" thick tempered masonite - held up reasonably well - about the start of the 1218 run, they went to 3/16" regular masonite. If it doesn't fatigue with age, they tear out in transit over internet purchases. BUT, thanks to the provided Dual templates, I've programmed a CNC router to make replacement 1/4" tempered ones - the old bases are easy to knock apart (and yes, Seth - I do use a hammer - matter of fact, the two watch repair men that I know use them as well) because the old glue has dried out. An easy change to make. Now, your Dual is level again, and much more stable.
 
How about an 8 lb. mallet.

That professionally restored Dual 1228 has aerosal WD-40 written all over the underside of the chassis.
And, it is the Euro model, without R.C.A. jacks.

Seth
Forever Analog
 
Last edited:
Hey, Seth? Are those prices out of line for 1228's in that good a condition, $385 for the US model, and $300 for the Euro model? Are they really that good and worth that much?
Tom
 
OvenMaster,
Check out Adapt-a-Dual`s past auctions. He seems to get real good prices for his "restored" Duals.
 
By nature, eBay sellers try to achieve high selling prices.
As they say, "There is a sucker born every minute."

With a good base, these smaller units can be quieted down. But for that amount of cash..............

Sell your 1218/1228, and get a 1219/1229/1229Q, with money left over for a new stylus, oak for a new base, and tweaking/damping material.

The smaller model has several plastic arm parts. The arm is also short- more tracking error.
The motor is only 4-pole. The three full-size units have multi/overlapping pole windings. Maytag used that same powerful motor in their clothes washers.

Seth
Forever Analog
 
My girlfriend's Dual 1225 is suprisingly quiet. Much quieter than the printed specs suggest. Turntable noise only becomes an issue, after considering the reproductive abilities of the entire system. Some amps or speakers simply do not go into that range. My Fisher amp has deep bass, much more than the Scott that I previously used. The turntable's quietness now is a consideration.

Seth
Forever Analog
 
"Maytag used that same powerful motor in their clothes washers."

Headquartered 40 miles up the road from me - The lifeblood of Newton, IA. New CEO in & now on the auction block - looks like Whirlpool is gonna get 'em. Workforce down by thousands - HQ leaving, CEO's house up for sale - What did Ross Perot say - "That giant sucking sound you hear..."

Yeah - those great Maytag motors are now Samsung made in Korea - and the washers assembled in Mexico. That lonely repairman has got a lot of company with him on the bench now...

Buy a Speed Queen... Made in Ripon, WI - We bought a new set 20 years ago - been PERFECT.

Oh wait - this is about audio... The small chassis Duals are very nice - no doubt about it, but the big ones are just such a treat to listen to - I do like to "A-B" between tables and carts - for the smaller ones, the 1218 sounds better to me than the 1228's, and the 1229Q beats 'em all. The Canadian/European models have audio out cables "hard wired" in to the muting switch junction block, with RCA leads on the other end - these are NOT easily replaced - the US models have the RCA outputs on all units.

Rather have a mallet than a mullet...
 
I just replaced a Maytag dishwasher that my parents purchased in 1969.
Minimal repairs through the decades.

The Dual 1218 has a higher-mass arm.
This is why it sounds better than the Dual 1228.

I have done A/B with the Dual 1219/1229 [same arm] and the Dual 1229Q.
The Q tracks ANYTHING, because the part-carbon-fiber arm weighs nothing.
The other arm, possibly because it is more rigid [all-alloy], in my opinion, sounds better, picks up less rumble [from the same drive system], and is a looker. I use the anti-resonance-filter counterweight from my Dual 701, to quiet down the Q. The Dual 701 does just fine with the simple counterweight from the Q.

Seth
Forever Analog
 
Thanks, guys I think I`m begining to get the picture. Maybe someday I`ll find a Dual 1218. It will have to be a bargain before I buy it. I have been burnt on eBay and the prices are overly HIGH on vintage gear there anyway.

My 1228 is hooked up to a MCS 3125 receiver and a set of Fisher ST-830 speakers.

How many Duals do you own Seth?

TankDonovan
 
You are up with the roosters.

I use a Dual 1229Q and a Dual 701.
In the closet, I have a Dual 1229, Dual 701, Dual 1209, Dual 1218, and a small box of parts.

Seth
Forever Analog
 
Last edited:
NoTransistors said:
Sell your 1218/1228, and get a 1219/1229/1229Q...

The smaller model has several plastic arm parts. The arm is also short- more tracking error.
Thank God you said that, Seth. I thought I was going crazy being unable to get my shorter-arm 1257 aligned at more than one spot with a printed gauge. I can't get the cart to move further out from the pivot. This is the first time I've seen someone knowledgeable specifically mention this tracking error. Thank you!
Tom
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom