• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1229 vs 1229Q

stevensctt

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been considering a Dual 1229Q but found a 1229 in VG shape locally. Besides the "quadrophonic" capabilities of the 1229Q are there other differences between the 1229Q and 1229? Basically want to know if tonearms, bearings, motors, mechanics, etc. are the same.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a 1229 and have wondered the same thing. My guess is the difference is negligible regarding the mechanicals. I do know the Q has a silver headshell vs. black--maybe it's lighter, I don't know...
 
I have a "new" 1229Q shipping tomorrow from Bill at fixmydual.com. I went with the Q because of the tonearm wiring and there were fewer Q's made. This will be my third Dual from Bill. I currently have a 1019 and 701 and really enjoy them. I never owned them back in the old days going with the AR-XA turntables for many years. I still love anything AR but the Duals are great.
 
I have a "new" 1229Q shipping tomorrow from Bill at fixmydual.com. I went with the Q because of the tonearm wiring and there were fewer Q's made. This will be my third Dual from Bill. I currently have a 1019 and 701 and really enjoy them. I never owned them back in the old days going with the AR-XA turntables for many years. I still love anything AR but the Duals are great.

Thanks for the link. I sent them a email and may be the best way to go.

I owned a Dual 1229Q (purchased new) and somehow lost or trashed it over the years. Like to get one again for nostalgia.
 
Thanks for the link. I sent them a email and may be the best way to go.

I owned a Dual 1229Q (purchased new) and somehow lost or trashed it over the years. Like to get one again for nostalgia.

Bill's a great guy and a pleasure to do business with. You'll get a vintage turntable that's like new. Bill knows how to pack a turntable too so it will show up in perfect condition.
 
Last edited:
Paging NoTransistors.
The Q might have cut some minor corners on the gimbal, and in other places, more plastic parts than the 1229. The 1219 has the least plastic of all, and is said to sound the best by many. Any of these can compete with the best when mantained. I love my 1229, and is all the table I will probably ever need. Just gave her new cables today. I have also changed the counterweight and plinth.
 
The 1229Q uses the much better arm from the Dual 701 as the old fashioned 1229. So no fair comparison are possible.
 
The quote below was taken from a Dual reference page,

"The difference between the
standard 1229 and the 1229Q is the
headshell design, and acceptable
cartridge weights. The 1229Q is also
wired for Quadrophonic (CD-4) sound."

When I was talking to Bill "bohhey" about choosing between the 1229 or 1229Q he told me that they were basically the same table. Fewer Q's made and different tonearm wiring. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them. I'll never part with my 701 or 1019 either. Both great turntables in their own way.
 
Last edited:
An absolute great machine ! Too bad that this version was selled ONLY in the US market !! So be proud to own one.....

Dual 701:

Dual-701-Direct-Drive-Turntable.jpg


Dual 1229Q :

Dual_1229Q_002.jpg
 
Last edited:
Maybe I can answer my own question. I talked to Bill at FixMyDual.com

Since Bill works only on Duals, I posed the question to him regarding the difference between the 1229 and 1229Q. Here is his response:

"Mostly styling – the Q changed the gimbal look to mirror the other tables Dual was selling at the time. Essentially, the same machine."

Bill pointed out that Dual produced 6 times more 1229s than 1229Qs, making the Q more collectable and therefore selling at higher prices.
 
I let go of my 1229Q and kept a 1229 and 1219. The machines I kept seemed a little more solid and quieter (motor noise, rumble, etc). That may have absolutely nothing to do the model though. Probably just motor, platter bearings, and idler wheel with better tolerances. I'd bet that some were better than others right out of the box. In general, I think those three models are neck and neck.
 
I just finished a 1229Q and I'm about to start on a 1229. As already mentioned, the main difference on top is the gimbal assembly.

The Q:

attachment.php


attachment.php


1229:

attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 321
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
The head shells are different and are wired differently. The Q grounds to the tone arm via a short wire that goes to a blob of solder that is shoved into the tube. The 1229 has a brass tab on the head shell itself that contacts the tube.

I discovered this because the Q had a wiring issue so I ended up replacing the head shell and wires with one from a 1229.

I have no idea what "wired for quadraphonic" means. Seems to be the same circuit to me.

I haven't been underneath the 1229 yet so I don't know of any differences there.

Swapped head shells. The one on the left was originally on the Q:

attachment.php


Part from the Q head shell with the solder blob:

attachment.php


Finished 1229Q:

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 1229Q r2r 008.jpg
    1229Q r2r 008.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
They're all gorgeous to those of us who like the more classic, industrial turntable look instead of a lot of the goofy looking modern stuff.

:D

Doug
 
While we're on the subject, I'm finishing up a 1229 and have one small issue. The manual tone arm lift lever won't stay on the up position. When I let go of it, it returns to the down position. I looked at one on my Q and everything looks correct. Any ideas?

EDIT: Got it. There was some lubricant where it shouldn't be. Gotta' watch that. :yes:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom