• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 701 w/Grado ZC+

chicks

Lunatic Member
Just snagged this at a garage sale down the street. I've had 1019s and 1219s in the past, this is my first electronic Dual. Appears to be well regarded by some, not so much by others. :dunno:

Anyone have the Grado ZC+? Not familiar with it.

Love the Lencolamp!

IMG_20141004_151911.jpg


IMG_20141004_151625.jpg


IMG_20141004_151703.jpg


IMG_20141004_151747.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
The ZC+ is equiv to the Prestiege Green. If it behaves itself in that arm, the 8MZ stylus will transform it.
 
The ZC+ is equiv to the Prestiege Green. If it behaves itself in that arm, the 8MZ stylus will transform it.

Thanks!

How does this TT/arm rank relative to one of your supercharged ARs? Flip the Dual to cover the cost of updating my non-functional two-motor AR? Or can the Dual compete?
 
Not sure where you heard the Dual being slagged. The DD motor in the 701 is one of the best ever designed. Tonearm is no slouch either.
 
Not sure where you heard the Dual being slagged. The DD motor in the 701 is one of the best ever designed. Tonearm is no slouch either.

Reread the posts, mostly from one of the esteemed techs regarding the 701 being a PITA to work on.

This quote from bohhey (fixmydual.com) is reassuring.

"Versus ANY Dual, and I include the 1229Q, which I own two, I feel that the automatic controls on ther 701 leave all of the others in the DUST in smoothness. Functions are changed electronically, not dependent a mechanical trip switch to drop.

The 701 is all class - Dual's best.

Period."
 
I have a ZC+ that I probably bought new in the early '90s. I'm currently using it with an 8MZ stylus on an AR turntable that Marc Morin resto-modded for me, and it sounds fantastic! Curiously, my ZC+ has no date stamp anywhere on it, which is unusual for a Grado.

It should be a great match for the Dual arm.
 
Thanks!

How does this TT/arm rank relative to one of your supercharged ARs? Flip the Dual to cover the cost of updating my non-functional two-motor AR? Or can the Dual compete?

Dunno.....never had/heard a Dual. In regards to the thread topic, if the ZC+ behaves itself in the arm and tracks as it should, grado offers some very nice styli upgrades. :yes:
 
How does this TT/arm rank relative to one of your supercharged ARs? Flip the Dual to cover the cost of updating my non-functional two-motor AR? Or can the Dual compete?

Beatcomber had a thread with samples from a modded AR and a stock, restored Dual 1229 (or was it 1219, either way...) - even though the 701 is a different animal, I think that should give you some idea on the differences - apart from the drive system I think the rest of it is very comparable, tonearm etc. ... those Dual arms are actually pretty good IMO, they don't look that impressive, but it's a solid low mass design.
EDIT: and just read the opener again and realized you have owned a 1219 : )
 
EDIT: and just read the opener again and realized you have owned a 1219 : )

Yeah, but the arm mechanism kept binding, so it was never fully functional. I did have a 1019 with a Grado Black, which was a pretty good match. I wish this 701 had its solid wood base! If I keep the 701, I might have to look into replacement bases...

100_4526.JPG
 
A 701! That's the only Dual I would choose over a 1229. If I came upon a nice specimen for a reasonable price I'd have my wallet out faster than the speed of light.

Yes, they can be a PITA to work on but the fact is that one needing work is unlikely. Some from the production run had problems but you are not likely to find one of those still working.
 
Dunno What you are asking, if anything.
Listen to the thing .. and decide :-)

OK, but only after ensuring the stylus is good. Under a magnifying glass, there‘s no sign of dust, looks unused. Like he bought it then never played records. :dunno:

Pairing good solid German engineering with great German industrial design...

IMG_20141005_151056.jpg
 
When I was looking for a Dual, I thought about getting a 701. That is until Bill @ Fix My Dual told me the price was $750. That was more than I wanted to pay.

That is Bill's favorite turntable. :music:
 
Excellent TT/TA. Giving my Dual 701 to my grand-daughter as an upgrade to her system this Xmas. Every 12yr-old should have one (and get rid of their digital crap).

The "PITA to work on" likely comes from the fact that the output signal wiring is too short and one has to reach in/around to get them loose to remove from the base. Indeed, is a PITA. The heavy wood base would be an improvement, but the stock base is certainly adequate.
 
I have taken a few moments out of packing to log onto my favorite web group.

My 701 cannot come close to my 1219. The electronic drive is constantly correcting its speed, while the 'ancient' drive system of the 1219 actually locks into line frequency. Some ears will hear the difference. Furthermore, both turntables share the same basic design of the auto mechanism. You might have misquoted Bill. The only function on the 701 that is not mechanically worked is speed selection.
Did you know that the 701 platter had to be redesigned to prevent more of them from warping? The 1st design platter was nothing more than a 1229 platter with the idler contact rim cut off. This is why it would warp. The newer platter has more meat.
Also, the motor did go through several design changes to improve reliability.
Still not as temperature-stabilized as the 721. The 701 speed does drift with temperature.
The arm on the 701 is very very, light, and how it works with a particular cartridge is variable. The higher-mass 1219 arm sounds great with nearly every cartridge.
To change the subject for a moment, has anyone here felt the weight of the 1019 arm? The outer dearing ring may be on ball bearings, but weighs like 1/2 pound. I have one in my spare parts bin, and find it quite amazing that any stylus can drag this across the arc of a record. But great does that turntable sound.
Well, back to packing. Moving is not easy for someone who has 57 years of stuff collected.
 
He must have smoking the good stuff that day. Bill well knows that the turntable still all gears and levers. including a mechanical trip.
 
Back
Top Bottom