• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual Yamaha C-80 with Loudness Hum

Kane4040

New Member
I have 2 c80s with hum that is magnified by the loudness control. The following have been performed:
1-Electrolytic caps replaced
2-Pots cleaned
3-Cold solder reflowed
The issue is on headphone jack and output.

Any recommendations on where to look would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Did you replace all capacitors?

You have two C 80's and they both hum? Highly unlikely they both have the same problem at the same time.

What is your level of expertise because you are probably going to have to go a little deeper to assess the problem.
 
Yes all electrolytic replaced including filter caps.

My expertise is newbie but I am highly motivated. If you have a recommendation I would like to hear it.
 
Is there a dimmer switch in the same room ? Noise on both channels ?

Thanks for the recommendation. I was certain there was no ground loop because I had gone through all the typical culprits. However, I found one. The metal roof in the house was connected to a ground rod. Once disconnected the ground loop disappeared in one of the C-80s. Unfortunately it remains in the other unit. They have both journeyed to multiple locations now to confirm it is not a ground loop. Let me summarize the status of the two units to give you all the information I have.

1- both units were fully recapped, however, different brands were used.
2- multiple cold solder joints were touched up
3- on the unit with remains trouble the rca jacks were all replaced
4- all pots and switches were thoroughly cleaned (the volume/loudness in particular)
5- TR149 and 150 were removed, tested, new thermal paste and bolted to the board

- When testing the hum occurs both on the headphones or connected amp.
- The hum is lower when selecting the phono stage (100 ohms) as opposed to the other inputs
- Touching the volume/loudness control reduces the hum

I can provide a photo if it would help.
 
There are several circuit board fasteners that are need to be torqued down pretty snug. They complete the ground scheme for the C-60/65 , C-80/85 control amplifiers.
 
Last edited:
Photos of the installation and soldered connections.

Tightened every screw to no change. Maybe I missed one. Here are the images.

.
 
8A4B4E60-7376-40B1-B59E-FF501F668BA0.jpeg

Sometimes one needs to freshen up the solder on the PCB's under these screws. To make a good electrical connection with the metal chassis parts.
 
View attachment 2728131

Sometimes one needs to freshen up the solder on the PCB's under these screws. To make a good electrical connection with the metal chassis parts.

Today I went ahead and removed the center strap underneath the boards and touched up the solder pads you mentioned. However, it made the sound worse which makes me believe you are on the right path. Where would you point me next?
 
With the covers removed.. That center strap needs to be grounded to the front metal panel. I use and alligator clipped jumper wire. The front panel/ center strap is grounded with the bottom cover secured into place.
 
Back
Top Bottom