• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Dynaco A25 vs. Klipsch KG4... value

KingJT

Well-Known Member
So how do these two classics compare from a value standpoint?
I have a nice pair of A25s that just aren't the right sound for me.
The KG4s are another venerable speaker I'd like to give a shot and a pair is available locally with trades a possibility.
I'm just wondering if A25s for KG4s is a sensible trade from either/both views.

Thanks as always.

Mike
 
Register to hide this ad
They're not as crisp as I like.
They seem to put more emphasis on the mids.
I have not recapped them and that might change things, but I have ads L520s and Canton Karat 200s that have a great crisp high end bite to them that I love.
I'm interested in seeing if the horns on the KG4s provide that crispness I seek.
 
In my market, Dynaco A25 go for about one-half of KG 4 variants. I have two pair of A25s that I acquired for $100 and $120 each pair. I have a KG 4.5 that I have $230 in. I have seen Dynacos go for about $150 and I have seen KG 4's advertised between $200 and 300 locally.

If the owner of the KG 4 is willing to accept the Dynacos in trade, I say jump on it.

I also have a pair of KG 1.5 that I bought for $80. I would consider these to be about the same as the A25, both for size and SQ. The A25 has a better low end, but the KG 1.5 has a better high end. The KG 1.5 is my daily driver in one system, the Dynaco is not.

I like my A25 speakers, but not as much as my KG 4.5 speakers. I imagine there is not that much difference between the KG 4 and 4.5. The bigger KGs do things so much better than the venerable A25, although with a much larger cabinet.
 
Interesting! I am somewhat over sensitive to brightness so the A25 may be what I am looking for.

Many do not like horns because of the high end. It could be my ears. :D I do not find the Klipsch horns to be any brighter than my KLH Sixes, which I consider much better than my Dynaco A25s. I am listening to my KLH Sixes right now (The Bar-Kays, Shake Your Rump to the Funk), while my KG 4.5 sit idle next to them.
 
I actually think a25 market is stronger than kg market. Dynaco are easier to ship which opens up eBay option. Kg4 will have more bass. They are horns so likely brighter sounding than a25. Harder to place in a room due to rear firing passive if that’s an issue for u.
 
I actually think a25 market is stronger than kg market. Dynaco are easier to ship which opens up eBay option. Kg4 will have more bass. They are horns so likely brighter sounding than a25. Harder to place in a room due to rear firing passive if that’s an issue for u.
It seems like there are always KG4s available but you don't see A25s come up as much around here.
I live in a cape in New England so placement is pretty much an issue with all aspects of life.
 
A25s are around $200-250 around here.

Edit: if they are in good shape. I got $100 for mine with a roached cabinet for one. I’ve also had Klh 17s and EPI M100s. The EPIs are still here.
 
Might help to take the A25 to the KG4 and listen to both in the same room.
Happens a lot here at the house when people come to test and buy speakers. I've now heard more speakers from other people in my house than my own speakers.
 
A25s are around $200-250 around here.

Edit: if they are in good shape. I got $100 for mine with a roached cabinet for one. I’ve also had Klh 17s and EPI M100s. The EPIs are still here.
I did some cosmetic work on them.
I think they look great now.
 

Attachments

  • PhotoGrid_1560127452682.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1560127452682.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 62
Many do not like horns because of the high end. It could be my ears. :D I do not find the Klipsch horns to be any brighter than my KLH Sixes, which I consider much better than my Dynaco A25s. I am listening to my KLH Sixes right now (The Bar-Kays, Shake Your Rump to the Funk), while my KG 4.5 sit idle next to them.

Yes, I am one of those who do not like the high end of horns - but my ears do appear to be overly sensitive to high end. That said, I am also sure there are horns I have not heard that I may like.
 
Just stumbled across this and thought I'd update for future generations.
After I recapped the A25s they are not going anywhere. Love them. It brought the high end right back. Run them daily with a Sansui 4000.
I still haven't picked up a pair of KG4s because I really don't have anywhere to put them. Maybe some day.
 
They're not as crisp as I like.
They seem to put more emphasis on the mids.
I have not recapped them and that might change things, but I have ads L520s and Canton Karat 200s that have a great crisp high end bite to them that I love.
I'm interested in seeing if the horns on the KG4s provide that crispness I seek.

Re cap them. They should be very well balanced.
 
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your A25's @KingJT! Just an FYI, never judge an old speaker with original capacitors, it has been my ritual for a long time now. Never heard a pair of A25's in all these years, but would grab a pair if the opportunity arose. Thanks for the update! :music:
 
Glad I caught this thread. I was contemplating some KG4s but have a pair of EPI-180s and a pair of EPI-200Cs waiting for caps and Human Speaker tweets. All the good words about the EPIs have reminded me to see what they sound like after a little work. The 180s seem to get a love or leave it reaction. Not sure what to expect, and they take 4 tweeters. Good reading, thanks!
 
Forgot to comment on the A25s; have a pair in my office and keep being impressed with them. So simple yet such great well balanced sound, simply amazing and timeless.
 
Back
Top Bottom