• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Dynaco Pas2 and HK Citation V questions

DennisK2021

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've had the PAS 2 for a little while, bought from Barter Town. The PO had started a refurb but didn't finish (pic below). I'm not sure if there is anything missing from the original.

I just bought a Citation V that isn't here yet, but that makes getting the PAS 2 going a bit more urgent. The Citation will also need work.

There is a pdf floating around of an upgraded capacitor board for the Citation. Looks like DIY with a pattern for the board. Also been looking at a HiFi Audio kit

Included in this kit:​
  • High quality, authentic electrolytic and film caps
  • Detailed instruction with colorful images, schematics, manuals (all of these are in electronic form (can be printed), much better than printed versions due to zoom availability)
  • Diodes, bridge rectifier, thermistor, lamps (if shown in the picture)
  • Fuse/s
  • Instructions on how to clean the chassis, faceplate, knobs
  • Support/help to a reasonable extent
  • The kit is compatible with all power grids (110-240v)
They appear to use MPT film caps and Rubycon electrolytics. Cost is $157 for the Cit 5. I wonder if you anybody here has heard of them or had experience with kits from those guys? They may also have one for the PAS 2. I've been reading a lot about mods to the PAS 2 but the threads are old with obsolete links.

Pics of the PAS 2.

current state 1.jpgcurrent state 2.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Jim McShane tends to be the guy for Citation stuff. He's retired from the tube selling business but I believe he still supports Cit II and Cit V restorations.

Personally I wouldn't immediately start with mods to the PAS, get it working in stock form first and see how you like it or not. It looks like its all there, just with some fresh caps and a rebuilt power supply.
 
If you mean a restore kit from HiFiAudio on the auction site, search this site for threads warning about that seller. I can't speak from experience, but like the brown acid at woodstock, they are reported to be specifically not too good.

For Dynaco, you can't go wrong with parts from dynakitparts dot com. (no affiliation.) Personally, agree with gadget73, I would get the original circuit working and not get too carried away with mods.
 
The PAS might be ok, the volume pot is changed - make sure it is 250k.
If caps are replaced to similar values it should be ok.
 
I've had the PAS 2 for a little while, bought from Barter Town. The PO had started a refurb but didn't finish (pic below). I'm not sure if there is anything missing from the original.

I just bought a Citation V that isn't here yet, but that makes getting the PAS 2 going a bit more urgent. The Citation will also need work.

There is a pdf floating around of an upgraded capacitor board for the Citation. Looks like DIY with a pattern for the board. Also been looking at a HiFi Audio kit

Included in this kit:​
  • High quality, authentic electrolytic and film caps
  • Detailed instruction with colorful images, schematics, manuals (all of these are in electronic form (can be printed), much better than printed versions due to zoom availability)
  • Diodes, bridge rectifier, thermistor, lamps (if shown in the picture)
  • Fuse/s
  • Instructions on how to clean the chassis, faceplate, knobs
  • Support/help to a reasonable extent
  • The kit is compatible with all power grids (110-240v)
They appear to use MPT film caps and Rubycon electrolytics. Cost is $157 for the Cit 5. I wonder if you anybody here has heard of them or had experience with kits from those guys? They may also have one for the PAS 2. I've been reading a lot about mods to the PAS 2 but the threads are old with obsolete links.

Pics of the PAS 2.

View attachment 3841033View attachment 3841035
I echo what was said about HiFi Audio; run, don't walk away.
I just finished a total restoration of two Citation V amplifiers using what I think is the upgraded capacitor board you are referencing. Those boards were from SDS (Sheldon Stokes).
Please see this thread: https://audiokarma.org/forums/threads/citation-v-mcshane-mod-questions.1108488/#post-18379355
 
Jim McShane tends to be the guy for Citation stuff. He's retired from the tube selling business but I believe he still supports Cit II and Cit V restorations.

Personally I wouldn't immediately start with mods to the PAS, get it working in stock form first and see how you like it or not. It looks like its all there, just with some fresh caps and a rebuilt power supply.

The PAS might be ok, the volume pot is changed - make sure it is 250k.
If caps are replaced to similar values it should be ok.
Plugged it into my Pilot (EL 84 PP) with no source there is a pretty audible hum starting at half volume. Moved the signal cables a bit and the hum was a lot less but it had a real issue with my phone---caused static if the phone was near and it was on. Putting the top cover back fixed that, duh.

So it seems to work. I'll try it with a TT next.

The CE can capacitor looks good although the part number doesn't match the current CE part number. Would you guys replace those gray Gen Ind caps? I'm going to look up the seller and ask what he thought was left.
CE can.jpg
 
I echo what was said about HiFi Audio; run, don't walk away.
I just finished a total restoration of two Citation V amplifiers using what I think is the upgraded capacitor board you are referencing. Those boards were from SDS (Sheldon Stokes).
Please see this thread: https://audiokarma.org/forums/threads/citation-v-mcshane-mod-questions.1108488/#post-18379355
Thank you that link. I'm looking forward to the amp getting here. The seller said he had an engineer check out the transformers and they are good. It is coming with lower power power tubes as test tubes? Anyway, should be fun.
 
Would you guys replace those gray Gen Ind caps?
The ones on the tone control pots? I believe those are a di-film that don't tend to age horribly, and they aren't in a spot that deals with any DC anyway so probably not a big issue.

Might want to go through the assembly manual and confirm things are connected properly. The heater supply will be slightly different since its not the old selenium rectifier but you should be able to figure it out. Still 2 diodes and 2 caps, just arranged slightly different. Make sure its wired right though.
 
The Stokes boards are nice but you don't really need them. Here's a clone Cit V I built a few years ago and the Z channel works just fine.
View attachment 3841457
nerdorama, I could probably use some help on the Citation. Did you post a thread on that. I ran into one of the long green (Mallory) resistors in my little Pilot. It was the wrong value someone had stuck in and I removed it. But it looks like you used some exotic parts in your build.

I see you are in Spokane. That's not too far from Boise. Do you know of any competent techs in southern Idaho?
 
Hi Dennis,
Nothing really too exotic. Just good industrial quality stuff mostly from Mouser. Two changes I made: used an auto bias board and added a Triad C-7X choke replacing the 270ohm 10W resistor in the power supply.

This is where my project began:

And this is my build/rebuild thread:

John
 
Back
Top Bottom