• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dynaco Stereo 35 replacement output transformers

guitargrump

Active Member
Musicalpowersupplies.com has a set of new Dynaco Stereo 35 output transformers for sale on Ebay.

I have not heard of the company before and don't really know anything about them...

Has anyone here tried these Dynaco st35 replacement transformers or any of their other transformer products??? they really seem reasonably priced for a new set of USA made output transformers... Opinions?

Screenshot_eBay_20220627-102935.png Screenshot_eBay_20220627-103012.png

Thanks
Don
 
Register to hide this ad
It might be a really good set of transformers, but they keep saying "Dynaco type" instead of saying they're wound to the exact spec of the Z-565. I don't know if this is legal double-speak to avoid getting sued, or if it's because they are wound differently than the Dynacos. I'd be interested to hear about anyone's experiences with a pair.
 
Musicalpowersupplies.com has a set of new Dynaco Stereo 35 output transformers for sale on Ebay.

I have not heard of the company before and don't really know anything about them...

Has anyone here tried these Dynaco st35 replacement transformers or any of their other transformer products??? they really seem reasonably priced for a new set of USA made output transformers... Opinions?

View attachment 2603246 View attachment 2603247

Thanks
Don
Why not ask them if the transformera are exact replicas measuring the same ? If they don't answer you know.
If they answer "yes" you have a case if they do not work as expected.

Whatever answer let us know. It's an interesting source for transformers.
 
Ya, I would hold out for the real deal, or the "real" replicas from Dynakit.
I built a ST-35 clone from Dynakit. The reproduction output transformers Dynakit uses sound very good and are make to the original specs. Unfortunately Dynakit is out of stock at the moment. You can drop them an email and find out whe. They will get more.
 
I located the PDF for the transformer...

It says that it is 5x interleaved 3x perfect layer output winding and 30hz to 20khz and a 25% UL tap

OT19PP.png
 
I was on the dynakit website trying to find the z565 specs... I didn't locate them.

I did find out their a updated design from the z565 product page... So their not a 1:1 match

There's a very significant price difference between Dynakit $145 ea and Musical Power Supplies $192 a pair with shipping

Approximately $100.00 difference plus whatever shipping costs from dynakit

Screenshot_Samsung_Internet_20220628-184915.png
 
Musicalpowersupplies.com has a set of new Dynaco Stereo 35 output transformers for sale on Ebay.

I have not heard of the company before and don't really know anything about them...

Has anyone here tried these Dynaco st35 replacement transformers or any of their other transformer products??? they really seem reasonably priced for a new set of USA made output transformers... Opinions?
I have no experience with their ST-35 OTs but they have been in business for quite a while. All their earlier efforts have been focused on the DIY guitar amp market.

Some years back I built a SE guitar amp that uses a 1625 output tube. I'm currently using it as a bass amp. It uses one of their power transformers which works very well. I also tried one of their output transformers, which also sounded good but I ended up using one made by Classic Tone, which has since gone out of business. I also have one of their chokes, which I've used in a few breadboard experiments. They are all well made.

Not long ago I ordered a pair of their "Hi-Fi" OTs, which are a newer design and apparently custom order only, meaning that they don't normally stock them in their eBay store. They are 7K primary with 4 and 8 ohm secondaries, rated at 10w and 50mA. I'm planning on trying them with 47 outputs in some upcoming breadboarding. They look to be well made and cost about $105 shipped for the pair.

Some of his OTs are made in Mexico but I think most of what he's selling now is made in Tennessee.

@drteming uses them in an amp he posted about in the Flea Power thread and he said he was pleased with them.

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/i...-flea-watts-amps.545147/page-27#post-15285750
 
Last edited:
Dynakit gets them made somewhere, though I don't know that its ever been entirely clear where that somewhere is. Not impossible these are the same thing, just direct from the source. Thats pure speculation of course, someone would have to buy them and do some testing to compare these to the Dyna ones.
 
If they are built on the same production line, a person should be able to visually tell prior to "testing" they should have some sort of witness Marks or a clue that they either were or were not...
I'm out of fun money at the moment but if a person wanted to know what they will do, I can certainly test a pair and free us from our collective ignorance...
I guess I'm saying I'd be willing to do that for the good of the group if theres sufficient interest, then pass them on to whoever bought them...
 
Dynakitparts has been out of stock for quite some time. Just looked and the now have a couple of power transformers that I don't think they had a few weeks ago so maybe some things are beginning to arrive. Triode Electronics say they will have some in a few weeks or they will take a preorder on others. The MK3 opts are available but quite expensive. I would try a pair of the MPS if I didn't already have more than 6 pair of various EL84 OPT's waiting their turn for a build.
 
I am looking at these transformers and others with several different possible projects in mind...

Nailing down who has what parts and how to get them has been a learning experience for me...

I'm mostly a scavenger and rummage sales, Facebook marketplace, craigslist and Ebay have supplied me with plenty of fun.

But at some point I want to do a new big amplifier and these larger output transformers aren't just readily available for cheap even when their on junk...

I hadn't heard Of MPS before... I'm now definitely reassured that MPS isn't a just fly by night operation...

Dynakit seems like their always out of stock... Hammond has transformers. Edcor is always pay and wait...

I haven't looked at triode electronics yet... And magnequest is another new company name to me... I will be checking them out...

I think that mostly covers what is readily available transformer wise outside of china and nothing is wrong with china. I just don't want to buy transformers from China if I can avoid it.

I really appreciate you all taking time to share your knowledge about MPS with me...

It's funny how important a company's reputation really is especially when considering buying something critical and expensive like output transformers for a once in a lifetime dream amplifier build...

Don
 
Triode isn't showing the Z565 equivalent any more, just the bigger ones. Magnequest once made an 8-16 Ohm clone of the Z565; all the others I've seen have been 4-8 Ohm.
I can't remember who took over producing all the Dynaco transformers for Dynakit and Tubes4HiFi, but there seems to be a supply problem with mostly several of the OPT's.
 
I am looking at these transformers and others with several different possible projects in mind...

Nailing down who has what parts and how to get them has been a learning experience for me...

I'm mostly a scavenger and rummage sales, Facebook marketplace, craigslist and Ebay have supplied me with plenty of fun.

But at some point I want to do a new big amplifier and these larger output transformers aren't just readily available for cheap even when their on junk...

I hadn't heard Of MPS before... I'm now definitely reassured that MPS isn't a just fly by night operation...

Dynakit seems like their always out of stock... Hammond has transformers. Edcor is always pay and wait...

I haven't looked at triode electronics yet... And magnequest is another new company name to me... I will be checking them out...

I think that mostly covers what is readily available transformer wise outside of china and nothing is wrong with china. I just don't want to buy transformers from China if I can avoid it.

I really appreciate you all taking time to share your knowledge about MPS with me...

It's funny how important a company's reputation really is especially when considering buying something critical and expensive like output transformers for a once in a lifetime dream amplifier build...

Don

Toi my knowledge Magnequest no longer sells OPTs retail. To be honest, I don't know what Mike LaFevre is up to these days, does anyone know?

Sourcing quality OPTs is becoming a big problem. I have a large order in to Heyboer for a batch of their Peerless copies, but man they are slow, I need to call them. My next step would ElectraPrint. Not cheap but I think the quality is assured.
 
Back
Top Bottom