• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Early Linn LP12

@cre009 The thing about the early numbers that perplexes me is that 40 decks would barely be enough to stock demo units into participating dealers never mind decks that were for sale.
I worked in a Dealer way back then and we did have RD11's and did get sales stock.
I have read that 50 decks was the minimum size production run that Jack Tiefenbrun would consider.

I will speculate there would have been risks for Hamish Robertson in trying to shift an upmarket deck with 33 rpm only so he probably looked to test the waters first so he went with the 40 and the balance going to employees. There is no indication of any advertising prior to Harrogate in September 71 and he only advertised in his own dealership after Harrogate. Hamish did strike up a distribution deal with Colin Walker that summer but initially Hamish was his own and only dealer.

Did you sell the later Dunlop-Westayr single button decks? There are only 2 limited batches of twin button decks showing up with strong indications that at least some of the second batch were factory sold.

Patent hearings require comprehensive written submissions from each party. Each side has to identify what they will be contesting in their opponents submission prior to the hearing. The hearing officers are required to be even handed in how they run the hearing. The background as provided in the articles will have been culled from the uncontested content of the submissions and I have no doubt the initial 40 decks will be accurate.
 
I moved on to work in theatre sound from about late 74 for a couple of years.
After that the whole story had rolled out.
I did see the first of the red switch Linns at that time and then later on when I went back to the hi fi biz occasional twin switch 'Linns' would appear as trade ins or for service.
Of course there was no forensic number collecting or web but certainly everyone in the Biz in central Scotland had a good idea what had transpired. It was as plain as the nose on your face.
I wonder if there had been non numbered Aristons circa 1972.
 
0022 - claimed to exist - no images - xttps://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=6935
0034 - claimed to exist - no images - xttps://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=6935
0088 - 0088 on inspection label - yellow label torn- no images

Here's 0022;
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/199782-linn_lp12_serial_number_22/
0034;
It exists, that's all I'm going to say ;)
0088 pic;
https://www.review33.com/avforum/index.php?topic=25070425115520&item=&page=93

And 0019, pics & chat I think start here;
https://www.review33.com/avforum/index.php?topic=25070425115520&item=&page=78

My 1st AK post!
Thanks for the info, haven't looked at old LP12 stuff in a few years.
 
Here's 0022;
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/199782-linn_lp12_serial_number_22/
0034;
It exists, that's all I'm going to say ;)
0088 pic;
https://www.review33.com/avforum/index.php?topic=25070425115520&item=&page=93

And 0019, pics & chat I think start here;
https://www.review33.com/avforum/index.php?topic=25070425115520&item=&page=78

My 1st AK post!
Thanks for the info, haven't looked at old LP12 stuff in a few years.

Thanks - getting the images is very helpful
 
I have an Ariston RD11 s/n 229 and it has a recess in the spindle and ball bearing. Single red switch and foam in the springs. Made in Ayreshire. The LP12s shown have a pointed spindle. Did the Ariston change at some point or were they always made with that spindle type?
 
I assume the s/n 229 has a CDN suffix so reads RD11 000229 CDN.

There was a separate range of serials for exported decks that had the CDN suffix.

For decks produced by Dunlop-Westayr there were at least 3 bearings used on the RD11 and RD11s decks. There were a couple of hundred or so RD11 decks produced at Castle Engineering but these all had twin buttons.

There were probably a few hundred Dunlop-Westaye decks that had a point bearing though I have only seen these on UK decks. This was replaced with the bearing type you describe. Late on and mainly on RD11s decks they changed to a spindle that had a flat end.

I have been logging the RD11 decks and have posted details at the Wam site

Ariston | Page 3 | HiFi Wigwam
 
I have an Ariston RD11 s/n 229 and it has a recess in the spindle and ball bearing. Single red switch and foam in the springs. Made in Ayreshire. The LP12s shown have a pointed spindle. Did the Ariston change at some point or were they always made with that spindle type?

Yes Ariston lost the law suit and had to change design.

Nothing wrong with a ball point spindle.
 
I still have my early LP12 with spot welded sub chassis. It’s had a few upgrades over the years but I still have most of the original parts :) It had an LVX and P77 fitted in 1984 and later an Ittok and Asak which was how I bought it. The Asak kept dropping one channel so I bought a Benz and later replaced the Ittok with an Audiomods. If I’d had a crystal ball back then I’d probably have left it as it was.
 
Oi Oi!

LP12 serial 00091 has just turned up on the’Bay. Lack of back story suggests a deceased estate sale. Item number
126416868574
 
Oi Oi!

LP12 serial 00091 has just turned up on the’Bay. Lack of back story suggests a deceased estate sale. Item number
126416868574
Interesting that the button configuration is black/green which was the Ariston configuration. The other Linn twin button decks prior to this number I have seen (ie 0005, 0019, 0022, 0039, 0088) were reversed ie green/black eg 0088 attached.

What do you make of the plinth? The item description refers to "The plinth was made in Glasgow as a prototype." It does look similar to the plinth on 0088.
 

Attachments

  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 12
The WJR signature is the same as those on the early batch of RD11 turntables.

The ones that have shown up are in the range 00061 to 95. This seems an odd start for a new range so I would speculate that perhaps around 50 were built but only 40 sold to Hamish with the balance going to Castle employees who were involved with the development.

Ariston - ex Castle twin button
000001 - claimed to exist - no images but said to be obtained ex demo direct from Hamish - was this a Hamish prototype which would likely date it to mid 71?

none from 000002 to 000060. Would be useful to know if any of these exist!

Ariston RD11 Twin button decks
000061 - claimed to exist - no images
000073 - claimed to exist - no images
000082 - original top plate - WJR initials as signature - yellow label intact - various components replaced with LP12 parts
000095 - WJR initials/signature - yellow label intact
0000xx - deck with no yellow label or serial number label - WJR signature on inspection label - odd looking plinth that was probably not original - assumed to belong to this range
000021 known to exist - check this thread:


Also at the very start of that thread, some good historical info:

 
Back
Top Bottom