Hello everyone. I'd just like to hear everybodies opinions on this topic. I have two acoustat woofers that will be subs for my room (I like a little extra bass personally), a 5 watt 6v6, and a pair of optimus 5bs I'd like to econowave. Id also like to invest in active crossovers to facilitate the econowave or to cut the bass from the tube amp if I decide full range. I'll split this question into a few parts.
1, everybody loves the econowave, but would good full range drivers be better if subs were used? I assume I could get more volume and better treble response out of them if I have dedicated subs in stereo (which will be ran with a higher powered amp).
2, there aren't many fans of dedicated subs for music production. The drivers I'll be using are relatively light and will be in stereo. I still need to apply new foam, but I have high expectations for them. If I used subwoofers in stereo (sealed cabinets as well) would i still get the boominess and 'bad timing?' that I've experienced in the past using single subs?
3, I am a big fan of treble and love the way it sounds through my amp. I dont like bright sounding treble, just accurate. In fact my current speakers are pretty laid back, but the way they pull it off is elegant. Would I be able to get accurate treble out of a full range driver? For context, accurate to my ears is usually on the sweeter side. I really like the way silk domes sound and I'm a big fan of the way the ar3 tweeters sound (got to listen to a pair at an audio shop).
I like my music loud, and that's why I'd like to make a more efficient speaker system for my tube amp. My other amp is a realistic sta-95 and slightly better sounding ps-audio delta 100 (currently out of commission). Neither really compare to the tube amp imo, but they're louder so
. I'm using a dac as my audio source and have bought a good quality volume knob that I'll use as a pre-amp along with the dac. I dont know what brand my dac is. I found it at a flea market and I'm pretty certain it's a kit build, but it sounded good enough to replace my smsl sanskrit 6th. My budget for the build is going to be around 1000 max, but cheaper is better. I can fab the boxes and whatnot myself as long as I dont need to do anything super complicated like transmission lines. Another thing to note is that I dont care too much about having a small sweet spot or beaming as long as its within reason.
Thanks everybody
1, everybody loves the econowave, but would good full range drivers be better if subs were used? I assume I could get more volume and better treble response out of them if I have dedicated subs in stereo (which will be ran with a higher powered amp).
2, there aren't many fans of dedicated subs for music production. The drivers I'll be using are relatively light and will be in stereo. I still need to apply new foam, but I have high expectations for them. If I used subwoofers in stereo (sealed cabinets as well) would i still get the boominess and 'bad timing?' that I've experienced in the past using single subs?
3, I am a big fan of treble and love the way it sounds through my amp. I dont like bright sounding treble, just accurate. In fact my current speakers are pretty laid back, but the way they pull it off is elegant. Would I be able to get accurate treble out of a full range driver? For context, accurate to my ears is usually on the sweeter side. I really like the way silk domes sound and I'm a big fan of the way the ar3 tweeters sound (got to listen to a pair at an audio shop).
I like my music loud, and that's why I'd like to make a more efficient speaker system for my tube amp. My other amp is a realistic sta-95 and slightly better sounding ps-audio delta 100 (currently out of commission). Neither really compare to the tube amp imo, but they're louder so
Thanks everybody