• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ed Saunders Shure V15LT Stylus?

Decibel_116

AK Subscriber
Has anyone tried the Ed Saunders replacement stylus for the Shure V15LT? I just saw a listing for one on Ebay. Here is the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-from-ED...rd_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item2c72590da2

The listing said that each one is hand made by Ed himself. Compared to an NOS, the price isn't too bad. I have never seen another aftermarket stylus for the V15LT. Forgive me if I am a little skeptical. There are no specifications provided.
 
Register to hide this ad
I am more than a little skeptical. That lady is not credible. I would not buy from her.

Jon
 
The partial description of the V15 III stylus on Ebay :


SHURE V15/III STYLUS NEEDLE ED SAUNDERS V15 III 3 NEW

The beryllium cantilever which tended to "dry out" and break (even in a sealed package) was replaced with thin walled aluminum.

OK !!! :D
 
I have NEVER been impressed by the Ed Saunders stylus. I have had better performance by the Jico stylus and I don't mean the SAS stylus and by generic stylus on EBay. He may have had a good product at one time but not now.
 
I have NEVER been impressed by the Ed Saunders stylus. I have had better performance by the Jico stylus and I don't mean the SAS stylus and by generic stylus on EBay. He may have had a good product at one time but not now.

Considering the Red Ed they sell is nothing more than the MG29 available for half the price on ebay that they then mark up (hence their once a week only ship time) I would stay WELL away from the Ed Saunders site.
 
Several years ago I used to buy the Ed Saunders stylus for the V-15 III and had no problems with them. These days I don't us anything but the Jico SAS stylus.
 
That should be stickied because people here are still recommending his products with no knowledge of what's happened and this has to be explained over and over again.

Yep

as i fell for that too some years ago when I lost the cantilever from my V15-V
I purchaced the "ES" stylus, and then promply sold the cart due to it being below performace of a basic M95.
 

Well, that clears it up. Thanks folks. I had not seen that post before. There are quite a few mixed reviews on the net for products bearing his name. It makes me wonder where this product is being sourced from. I am not aware of any aftermarket replacements for this cartridge currently being produced. Does anyone know if Jico or Astatic ever make one of these? If so, maybe these are aftermarket NOS.
 
A great many of her products come from the Canadian Normah distributor who sells on Ebay under the name "needlestore" , also sells on Amazon as My Needle Store
 
A great many of her products come from the Canadian Normah distributor who sells on Ebay under the name "needlestore" , also sells on Amazon as My Needle Store

And I *think* that's the place (Needle Store) that stiffed me on a bad stylus and wouldn't even return an email - let alone give you a phone number to contact them. :nono:

D*mn shame too. I wanted to try a 'Red Ed' for 78's and get an extra conical for rougher albums, but not after what I experienced or read about from both of them.
 
From the add:

"These are individually hand made by Ed himself."

Pretty shameless if you ask me.
 

Yeah, well there's more:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6001200&postcount=11

and more:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6004524&postcount=14

These posts make it clear that a: Ed Saunders did indeed decide to retire but that b: he turned the business over to Trisha Horne. This would mean that the current business is operating with Ed's blessing (unless Trisha hacked his AK user account ;)).

I don't have much use for Ed Saunders' products and never have. Before there was no evidence to suggest that they were anything other than repackaged (or unpackaged) Pfanstiehls. Now, it's pretty obvious that customers are getting whatever Trisha is able to source, from Carole's or Canadian Normarh, to fill orders.

All that said, the AK post first linked here leaves the impression that any operation trading under Ed's name is doing so without his consent. The posts I kinked to above seem to indicate something else.

Now, who thinks Ed is really sitting around hand-making a small quantity of styli for what has to be considered an oddball cartridge?

John
 
Ed Saunders Sticky

That should be stickied because people here are still recommending his products with no knowledge of what's happened and this has to be explained over and over again.

I second that notion. These listings on Ebay are confusing because of all the conflicting reviews online. Not to mention that this particular listing is nothing short of false advertisement.
 
I second that notion. These listings on Ebay are confusing because of all the conflicting reviews online. Not to mention that this particular listing is nothing short of false advertisement.

If AK posted this as a "Sticky" and if Trisha is Ed's designated successor, as he said in the post I linked to, Ed and Trisha would probably be within their rights to sue AK for libel.

As I said before, the whole "Ed Saunders Stylus" thing has struck me as fishy from day one but all I have are suspicions. Really, that's all anyone can have since no conclusive negative factual information has ever come to light. (Some customers not liking the styli doesn't count.)

John
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom