• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EL-84 Recommendations

Gigantic

A big, big love
I've had a Glow Audio Amp 2 for the past 6 months and immediately rolled the tubes to JJ Gold Pin EC-83S and EL-84s. I like them, but I'm starting to get curious about other power tube options, what other non-Russian tubes are recommended by the AK brain trust? I'm open to both NOS and current production, but I'd like to keep them under $50 each. I've used both the stock Shugang tubes and EHX and didn't particularly like either, finding them dull and boxy sounding.

TIA,

Lance
 
Register to hide this ad
6P14P-EV made before the collapse.
I've been trying the Reflektor 6P14P-P's in a push pull amp and a single ended amp.
I bought the cheaper "P" versions just to see how these tubes sounded.
So far I like them a lot. I plan on ordering a quad of the 6P14P-EV's for my Dynaco ST-35 clone. Right now I'm using a quad of Sovtek EL-84M's in my ST-35 and like them also. I've bought various Reflector octal driver and power tubes and liked them all as well.
 
I've had a Glow Audio Amp 2 for the past 6 months and immediately rolled the tubes to JJ Gold Pin EC-83S and EL-84s. I like them, but I'm starting to get curious about other power tube options, what other non-Russian tubes are recommended by the AK brain trust? I'm open to both NOS and current production, but I'd like to keep them under $50 each. I've used both the stock Shugang tubes and EHX and didn't particularly like either, finding them dull and boxy sounding.

TIA,

Lance
You want ideas for non-Russian made EL84 tubes, right?

For modern, have you tried the JJ EL84?

There are a lot of good NOS EL84 tubes.

I like black plate Sylvania 6BQ5 (especially the red lettered ones). GE and RCA made very good 6BQ5.

Philips Miniwatt and Mullard EL84, for good examples of European-made tubes. Telefunken EL84.
 
I've been trying the Reflektor 6P14P-P's in a push pull amp and a single ended amp.
I bought the cheaper "P" versions just to see how these tubes sounded.
So far I like them a lot. I plan on ordering a quad of the 6P14P-EV's for my Dynaco ST-35 clone. Right now I'm using a quad of Sovtek EL-84M's in my ST-35 and like them also.
Do you mean -K version? That’s what I remember from you earlier posts.
 
Do you mean -K version? That’s what I remember from you earlier posts.
There are various versions. The 6P14P, rated for 3000 hours. The 6P14P-P, a ruggedized version rated for 3000 hours. The 6P14P-EV's, a ruggedized version rated for 5000 or more hours. I've seen the K and EB and ER versions mentioned, but don't know the particulars of them. They're basically all the Russian versions of the 7189.
 
Last edited:
I tried only the basic 6P14P and the EB (EV) versions, and while I hear what the EB does, I prefer the basic one, which I use most as I have a few sets bought years ago, to save hours from my NOS EL84's.
Favorite EL84's , Mullard (CV2975),Brimar,Siemens (E84L/7320). Surely many more . RFT can still be found at reasonable prices.
 
Last edited:
60's Telefunken 7189's are the best I've heard so far from the el84 family, but also usually very expensive. I lucked into a quad in almost perfect shape when purchasing an old HH Scott for restoration. I really liked the Reflektor 6P14P-EV before hearing the Telefunkens, but now I'm ruined.
 
I tried only the basic 6P14P and the EB (EV) versions, and while I hear what the EB does, I prefer the basic one, which I use most as I have a few sets bought years ago, to save hours from my NOS EL84's.
Favorite EL84's , Mullard (CV2975),Brimar,Siemens (E84L/7320). Surely many more . RFT can still be found at reasonable prices.
I've read posts in other forums claiming the basic 6P14P and the 6P14P-P to be the better sounding of the various 6P14P's. I bought a couple tested quads of used 6P14P-P's just to see how they sounded in a couple amps I built. They do sound good. I'll have to look further, all I remember seeing really were lots of used P versions. The Russians must have used them somewhere that had them replacing them pretty regularly while still good.
 
View attachment 2942648
These are very good, too!

I have an amplifier that sounds excellent with its original quad of Pilot labeled Tungsram EL84's. 60 year old amp design so might not be a valid comparison. I have one newish production tube amplifier that takes EL84's. My preference is for a pair of 6P14P-K's for their anti-vibration characteristics. I have enjoyed the 6P14P-EV's in my Fisher 7189 powered integrated.
 
Last edited:
I like the Tungsram's treble response versus the 6P14P-EV. Reflectors are darker sounding, to me. Both are great tubes.

GE 7189A are also nice, powerful tubes.

I use those Russian mil specs in my Matchless amp. They sound so wonderful, Class "A," push-pull.

matchless_335A.jpg

matchless-hurricane-4.jpg
 
Last edited:
Bought these NOS 7189s last summer for my Scott 222c (the 7868 are for my Fisher 400). Haven’t tried them out as the 6P14P-EB in there now are doing fine.IMG_1740.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom