• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EL-84 Recommendations

Do they have the etched Mullard/Philips code near the base?

Not sure Mullard UK ever made the 7189A.

Thanks!
 
My faves are the Electro Harmonix but you said you were not a fan. I prefer them to the JJ in my little Cayin EL84 amp. Good thing EL84s are not expensive compared to other tube types.
 
Whatever brands of EL84 used, using matched tubes is important in push-pull amps. Reasonable matching at typical usage conditions needs a lot of tubes in order to get matched pairs.
 
As far as I know EH EL84 are relabeled 6P14P tubes. They are good tubes.

The Sovtek EL84M are built to the old 6P14P-EV mil specs. Solid tubes.
 
Whatever brands of EL84 used, using matched tubes is important in push-pull amps. Reasonable matching at typical usage conditions needs a lot of tubes in order to get matched pairs.
Important for reducing output stage hum, too. I like hum pots in the output of p-p amps. ;)
 
Get those smokey mullards. So good.

But it's fun looking at this thread. There are tons of great sounding el84/6bq5's.

Second this. Smokey Hole Mullards are great tube. I've got a pair of the 7189's Mullards. Hopefully I'll come across another pair.
 
As far as I know EH EL84 are relabeled 6P14P tubes. They are good tubes.

The Sovtek EL84M are built to the old 6P14P-EV mil specs. Solid tubes.
Thats probably why I like the So tek EL84M's then.
I really like the 6P14P-P's. I wonder what the real difference between the 6P14P and 6P14P-P is. Both are rated for 3000 hours.
 
As far as I know, the 6P14P-P have been constant vibration tested for industrial use --- 3000 hours life.

The 6P14P-ER have the longest mean time between failure rate of 10,000 hours.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 2943006
They say Mullard, International, Made in Great Britain
Mullards ( UK ) had a round hole on the plates.
Yours don't seem to be made in UK, as they have seams on top of the glass, and only Mullard made in UK tubes had the seams.
My guess is that they are probably Japanese (Matsushita) , PHILIPS , EI, or BEL (India).

MULLARD-EL84.jpg
 
Last edited:
As far as I know, the 6P14P-P have been constant vibration tested for industrial use --- 3000 hours life.

The 6P14P-ER have the longest mean time between failure rate of 10,000 hours.
These tubes remind me of Mullards the way they get those blotchy spots on the glass.
 
Mullards ( UK ) had a round hole on the plates.
Yours don't seem to be made in UK, as they have seams on top of the glass, and only Mullard made in UK tubes had the seams.
My guess is that they are probably Japanese (Matsushita) , PHILIPS , EI, or BEL (India).

View attachment 2944026
Gotta check for Philips/Mullard etched codes. :idea:

I know India and Japan did have country codes. V = India. N, 5, 7 for Matsushita, Toshiba, and Hitachi.
 
Gotta check for Philips/Mullard etched codes. :idea:

I know India and Japan did have country codes. V = India. N, 5, 7 for Matsushita, Toshiba, and Hitachi.
Yes, BEL India had the V , PHILIPS Heerlen had the Δ (delta) , EI had a dot in a circle (I think).
Matsushita,BEL,EI were using Mullard tools so they all had seams on top of the glass (like Mullard and Philips) .
 
I found this on the internet, but it is not the "A"

View attachment 2944196
Now that I think about it, I've only seen those blue and white IEC International Servicemaster boxes stamped 7189A. They are Mullard (UK) made, but not true 7189A (with the internal pin differences and uprated plate voltages).

Things got very confusing towards the end of tube production. Relabeling, re-boxing, all kinds of shenanigans.
 
Back
Top Bottom