• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

EL86 / C6W5 tube question

Seemed like a bad idea to me also. Maybe the previous owner only had 6BQ5 tubes and no resistors. I have know way of knowing how long this thing sat before I got it.
Anyway I've been listening to it for over a hour hooked up to a pair of restored KLH Six,s and it really sounds good, great bass and detailed mids.and highs. The 6CW5 are running hotter temp. wise then the 6BQ5 were I expect that is normal. I haven't tried the phono stage yet. And again thanks for your input. Curt
</html>
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Shadowdog. Yes I believe it has improved but not by a lot. Mainly in the bass at higher volume. Also the volume seems a little louder at the same setting and I think louder before distortion
 
Yes if 6CW5 tubes weren't so readily available and inexpensive. I know I could make this amp work with 6BQ5 just by dropping the bias voltage. I wonder what would be optimal for this amp? Could it be 8.2 volts. I'm sure having fun with this stuff. Curt
 
DeWald amp

So now that the amp is working, and sense I like to screw with stuff. Do you think I could improve on the Amperex 6CW5 any recommendations? I have a assortment of 12AX7 to try
 
The big thing is the Primary Impedance of the OPT's (output transformers) is about 3.2K on your amp where as EL84/6BQ5 like around 8K, so you may have issues no matter what like tube life.

Some have found 12AT7 types can sub in place for a sonic improvement on some amps in all or a few of the positions where it is used. It has a bit less drive and so does the 5751 a toned down 12AX7.

Here is good chart I found:

http://cydathria.com/fdm/12AX7_sub.html
 
Thanks for the 12AX7 link. I do plan on staying with the 6CW5 type tube. I was just thinking of getting a set of backups to try, maybe the Russian 6P43P-E ?
 
Today I brought the amp in the house so I could check the magnetic phono input circuit. I hooked up to my Technques Q2 and my favorite speakers, KLH Model Fives. Lately I've been listening to a lot of jazz, but I put on a album I've heard hundreds of times. Beatles Abbey Road, side two. Man this little amp sounds so good. I don't remember, Carry That Weight, sounding that good,especially Ringo's drum solo. Anyway, those 6CW5 / EL86 tubes can really sound good in this amp, with great bass when paired with good speaker. I don't think I would change a thing. It was a fun and rewording inexpensive project. Thanks to all for all the help. Now what to do.:music:
Curt
 
Last edited:
I wanted to chime in and say that I'll bet you that the original owner just wired that bias cap backwards accidently. I did. I didn't even notice that it was a "common positive" can cap at first.
 
thats an easy mistake to make. I rebuilt the bias supply cap in my Sherwood and installed the replacement cap backwards.
 
Back
Top Bottom