• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Elderly Dog troubles.......

dread31

Addicted Member
My male Dalmatian, Spot, is closing in on 14 years. The vet tells me he's in excellent shape----for his age. But, heres the deal. His behavior is getting strange, and I think his hearing is going. When he eats, he'll drag his nose across the floor and cry in from of the food bowl for a few minutes, eat some kibble for a few minutes, then repeat. He will NOT go outside to discharge waste if it is cold, raining or snowing. So, I can no longer keep him in the house. The dogs have a doggie door in the garage. It's insulated, heated and airconditioned, plus I have to large dog pillows out there for them, so it's not like they're stuck outside. But I am getting really tired of cleaning up his messes when the weather is inclement. He also no longer squats or lifts his leg, he just goes standing up,---like a horse.

I love him to pieces. He is still a very sweet, affectionate dog. He still goes for walks, plays, chases rabbits, etc. But, I'm worried that "the time" is coming. I dread this decision. It's going to be very, very tough. But I don't know if he'll last another year.

Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm no vet, but larger bread dogs often suffer from arthritis in their hips which could explain his no squatting behaviour. The vet that I use recommended some glucosamine chondroitin for my sister in law's white shepard. It made a night and day difference in him!
 
If you put his food on the floor or (a paper) does he still cry? Can you make due with the potty problem?
It sounds like he still has a happy life, enjoy it while you still can.

I lost my Dalmation in ’02 she was one hell of a great dog, I still miss her.
 
Third the recommendation to check for arthritis. His hip joints could be causing him enough pain that he simply cannot squat or kick any longer. A little medicine could make all the difference. It's worth trying at least.
 
It's hard letting them go, they are our children.

I went through the same thing with our two springer spaniels at 16 and 15 years of age. Blindness, loss of hearing, loss of appetite, and loss of bladder control. Both were arthritic and developed twists in their spines and had difficulty standing. I also tried vet recommended glucosamine and special diets to some good. I could only imagine about they're mental health.

It's about the quality of Spot's life now. Sometimes it's just time.

Best wishes.
Carl
 
You may help him by raising his food and water dish so that he doesn't have to bend down to the floor to eat and drink. A simple wooden box with holes cut large enough to hold his food and water bowl in place could alleviate the discomfort from bending down so much.

It sounds like Spot has had a loving home and family for quite a few years longer than most large breeds. That is something that you can be proud of and thankful for. I wish you both the best in many good days yet to come.
 
I don't have any real input about what's happening with Spot but I will say that I'm sorry to hear your friend is in pain.
 
Dread , have the vet check the old dogs thyroid level , My old dog Fancis ( same age ) also was feeling really bad and the vet perscibed thyroid pills , it helped a ton . hearing is very common to loose at his age and the dog can still live well without hearing .
 
I feel for you. I went through this with my 14 yr old lab Elvis. The elevated food dish was a big help as was the glucosmine. We had him on remadyl and although expensive, it made a night and day difference. The arthritis may not be in the hips. Our dog developed some hip problems and that led to him over using his front legs to get up and down, walk etc which led to arthritis in his shoulders. How are your dogs teeth? Dental issues could cause eating discomfort and problems.

I had a long talk with a fellow dog lover one night and I was asking her how can I tell when it was "time." She said when he no longer wants to do the three things he likes the most, it's probably time. In Elvis's case it was eat, go for walks/swims, and spend time outside while I do yard work (basically be my shadow anywhere at home).
 
I've owned Dals since 1990. I congratulate you, 14 is a very ripe old age for a Dalmatian. Also agree with checking for arthritis, the Doc will probably prescribe Rimadyl. Also agree to raise the water and food bowls. You will know when his and your quality of life is not worth it any more, the decision will be hard, but you will know it's the right thing to do.

My two current Dals don't like to go out in the rain and cold and they are 6 and 7. They have been doing it that for years. Luckily I've worked out of the house for the past 10 years and things haven't been and issue. If you are gone all day, you may want to consider a pet walker to coming sometime during the day and let Spot out or take him for a walk.

Best of luck
 
Thanks, Guys.
He is able to let himself in and out, and has a good sized yard to run around in. I think the urge just comes up too quick these days and he just doesn't make it out the door in time. I have some glucosamine, that I have started giving him. I hope it helps. Gonna make a platform to set the bowls up higher. I'm not ready to let go yet, so I'm gonna take every reasonable measure.

Dave
 
Dave, my wife and I come from a combined long line of dog-loving families. You need to have a vet look at Spot, and give you his/her assessment. You need to do this before you make any decisions.

You may find out that there is a regimen of medications that will make a huge difference in Spot's quality of life. Please don't give the dog any medications that are not prescribed by a veterinarian. While elevating his food and water might make it easier for him to eat, it is not a substitute for a medical exam by a vet. Find out what the vet can tell you.

If the news is not good, then you have to make the right decision for the dog, and not for you. It's difficult, but frequently a dog's owner will hang on longer than is prudent and the dog will end up suffering unnecessarily because the owner simply can't bear to say goodbye.

I hope the vet will be able to prescribe some meds that will make a big difference for Spot. Don't wait.
 
Exactly right. It may seem that nothing can be done, or that the vet will be so expensive that treatment will be prohibitively expensive. That may well be true, but only a vet can say for sure.
 
Sorry to hear of his troubles, Dave.

I have a Bassett mix that is going on 11 and I think he is starting to have trouble with arthritus etc....

He just recently had a trip to the vet due to a herniated disc :no:

Give him extra luvins during these tough times!!

BTW...Thats Chester's mug up there!! ^^
 
Originally posted by Ultra-Hog: You may help him by raising his food and water dish so that he doesn't have to bend down to the floor to eat and drink. A simple wooden box with holes cut large enough to hold his food and water bowl in place could alleviate the discomfort from bending down so much.
+1 on this and the Arthritis! My 16year old Mix (golden and wheaton terrier) responded well to the Glucosamine and chrondoiton as well as raising his Bowls a lot to make it easier for him to eat. The Final decision will be tough but sometimes it`s better for them.
 
My vet told me years ago that dogs, especially big ones, tolerate aspirin very well. Administration of two aspirin in the morning and two in the evening was enough to make my old golden retriever's life much more comfortable. She was pill o phobic so we put the pills inside a piece of hot dog and made "fun time" out of the event. She lived to 16+, which is is very old for a retriever. My vet was a real common sense type doctor and always gave advice that was simple, practical and inexpensive.

As far as the inclement weather, try getting a coat for your dog, to keep him warm and dry. He, like my dalmatian, and also many dobermans, may just be a weather wimp.
 
If the news is not good, then you have to make the right decision for the dog, and not for you. It's difficult, but frequently a dog's owner will hang on longer than is prudent and the dog will end up suffering unnecessarily because the owner simply can't bear to say goodbye.

I hope the vet will be able to prescribe some meds that will make a big difference for Spot. Don't wait.

I'm glad you said this, I was trying to think of a way and couldn't come up with something that didn't sound cold-hearted.

I watched a friend of mine hold on to his Golden way too long and it pained me greatly to see the dog when I visited him. I honestly believe he didn't intend for the dog to suffer, but he couldn't let go.
 
I've made that long hard drive more than once, and it's one of the hardest things to do I know of.

I just try to keep in mind what my dogs have given me, which is no less than their all. The very least I can do is help them to find peace and rest, and be there with them as they leave a world that has grown unlivable. I owe them that much. It doesn't make losing them any easier, but it does make it possible to say goodbye.
 
We lost our spitz/shelty mix just a month before his 17th birthday, a rapid growing tumor. We were going to be at the vets when he was going to sleep, but he died during the night. I have never let any cat or dog go alone else they might not be at the Rainbow Bridge when it is my turn.
 
Back
Top Bottom