• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Electrolytic Capacitor with no polarity

I Removed one cap from a Technics SUV85A amp from the pre Amp side. C311 capacitor has no polarity marking. But the replacement cap has Positive and negative marking on the new cap. How should I solder it?
 
Register to hide this ad
How should I solder it?
You shouldn't, - you have the wrong type of capacitor. I assume you bought a 'Capacitor Kit' from somewhere, this is a common mistake made by some sellers of such kits. (AK member, capacitor kit vendor "affinity for artifacts" is not one of those).

This is important, the original Bipolar type capacitor can tolerate voltages of either polarity, whereas the replacement you have is 'Polar' meaning that it can tolerate voltage applied to it of one polarity only.
 
Last edited:
Schematic has C311 as 47uf/16V N (= Non-Polar)
As above, you cannot use a polar(+/- marked) cap as replacement.

edit appears to be in the audio path, I'd go with a Nichicon UES or similiar
 
Last edited:
You could make one with a couple 100uf back to back in series, if they would fit. 50uf should be close enough.

I assume you don't want to buy one capacitor and pay for shipping? Is there one in each channel or just the one?

You could start a private conversation with me and provide an address (if in the lower 48) and I could send you what you need.

Rob
 
You shouldn't, - you have the wrong type of capacitor. I assume you bought a 'Capacitor Kit' from somewhere, this is a common mistake made by sellers of such kits.

This is important, the original Bipolar type capacitor can tolerate voltages of either polarity, whereas the replacement you have is 'Polar' meaning that it can tolerate voltage applied to it of one polarity only.
I bought the kit from Marblehead at Ebay. He is not an honest seller. All his full restoration kit is just capacitors. He put in wrong caps but I check carefully and did not install the non polarised caps but the values are still in spec so I solder back the old parts back. Thanks
 
You could make one with a couple 100uf back to back in series, if they would fit. 50uf should be close enough.

I assume you don't want to buy one capacitor and pay for shipping? Is there one in each channel or just the one?

You could start a private conversation with me and provide an address (if in the lower 48) and I could send you what you need.

Rob
There are two such caps but I measured the values and it's surprising still within spec after 35 years. Japan knows what they are making
 
There are two such caps but I measured the values and it's surprising still within spec

this is probably the next best thing to do. Put it on your list for your next project.
He put in wrong caps but I check carefully and did not install the non polarised caps but the values are still in spec so I solder back the old parts back.

it happens. I'm happy you posted the question.
 
Back
Top Bottom