• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Empire 108 for Early Mono Records

Leftie

New Member
Hi all,
I have a NOS Empire 108 stereo cartridge on my Pickering 190D tonearm. Is that ok to play early Mono records pre1965?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Not sure what you mean by “is it ok”.....

I’ll play a mono album occasionally with a stereo cartridge, including a 108 at times, not as good as a dedicated mono cart, but hey I’m lazy, it’s a lot of trouble to walk to the table with the mono setup :cool:

VR
Andy
 
Yes, infact that's one of my go to mono cartridge. I use empire 108, empire 880p, shure m3d, pickering u38 with 1 mil mono stylus, pickering v-15 d1510 1 mil mono stylus. All are fabulous w/ mono switch.
 
Not sure what you mean by “is it ok”.....

I’ll play a mono album occasionally with a stereo cartridge, including a 108 at times, not as good as a dedicated mono cart, but hey I’m lazy, it’s a lot of trouble to walk to the table with the mono setup :cool:

VR
Andy
Hi Andy,
What I mean by if it’s ok is will using the original stylus that came with the Empire 108 damage early mono records or is it fine? I believe it is a .7mil stylus. I know pre 1965 most mono stylus were 1mil and then later stereo and mono records were both cut for .7mil. Thanks!
 
Hi Andy,
What I mean by if it’s ok is will using the original stylus that came with the Empire 108 damage early mono records or is it fine? I believe it is a .7mil stylus. I know pre 1965 most mono stylus were 1mil and then later stereo and mono records were both cut for .7mil. Thanks!

Ok, in my opinion no issues, some my disagree, but I’ll do it without reservations. As @schon8624 mentioned, you could add a mono switch....

VR
Andy
 
The Empire 108 was a nice surprise when I picked one up. Sounds far better with stereo or mono LP's than I ever thought it would. Have one on a ROK 120 arm.
 
Great early stereo cart offering. Some 108 and 88 styli were actually .5 mil wide, which usually sounds too chattery/splashy and tizzy in original mono microgrooves. However, with the .5 mil usually riding below any previous groove wear, some transcriptions can sound better with .5 or .7 mil spherical tips.
Alas, our arsenals of carts and styli might need to get built up.

The most surprising early stereo carts concerning high frequency delineation, were the Empire 108, Elac 222 "green monster" and the original, early '60s ADC XLM, IMHO...

I was always pleasantly surprised with every early stereo cart. Sure, some improved quickly, too. But, why didn't more cart makers offer 1 mil/25 micron styli for mono listening ? I consider a .7 mil conical spherical stylus tip a compromise for early mono discs. These days, finding 1 mil wide conical or elliptical tips is still tough...

If your mono discs are mostly pre-mid 1960s, a 1 mil tip is recommended. Finding one may require a retipping adventure, though...
 
Hi all,
I have a NOS Empire 108 stereo cartridge on my Pickering 190D tonearm. Is that ok to play early Mono records pre1965?

Thanks!

OK, but not best. No 1 mil stylus if needed, no real stylus choices. Pickering V 15 or Stanton 500 is much better for mono, especially 1948-1955 LP and 45 RPM discs, and those which need stylus options in terms of tip size choices.
 
I agree with you, Kent. Pickering V15 and Stanton 500 carts are most versatile. Shure did not offer as many styli choices, either.

The overall sonic signature of each cartridge is different, though. I can understand the "draw" of certain early stereo carts, though...Wasn't the 108 advertised as a "Stereo-monic" cartridge ?

Perhaps, over time, we might be offered some "nude diamond" stylus tips, which can help some magnetic carts' response and inner detail retrieval. Maybe, the newer styli aftermarket suppliers will eventually offer 1 mil diamond tips, as well...Wouldn't that help the vintage mono spinners ?
 
Back
Top Bottom