• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Empire 4000 XLIII - Any info on this cartridge?

jazzwolf

Super Member
I was given an Empire 4000 XL III cartridge that definitely needs a new stylus but I don't know if it's worth buying one. Does anyone know anything about this cartridge? I can't seem to find out anything about it. The Cartridge database has a pix of it but no information. Is it worth buying a new stylus for this cartridge? Does anyone have any info on tracking force etc.?
 
Register to hide this ad
EDIT: oooo thread necro. Thought I was replying to a fresh posting. Grrrr.

I bought one new in 1980 - it was about $40 at that time. Well worth a new stylus. I have tracked it at 1.5g since new.

Here's a thread on it

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=596059

I picked up an EVG stylus for a good price, I'll check the part # when I get home. 237DET or EVG PM2388DE

If you have a digital multimeter you can check the cart to see if it's bad before you spend the $ on a stylus. Check across the two left channel pins and across the two right channel pins - they should both have a very similar, low resistance.
 
Last edited:
Just to pick nits for fun, the 237s are for the high-inductance 2000E series.
Again, not that far off, but assuming for the moment that the EVG is identical to the 2000E stylus, it would be bright, a little, in the 4000XLIII. Aftermarket styli tend toward brightness as well. But the important consideration is, of course, how it all sounds in your system. Many, maybe most people can tolerate a slight treble response-curve error, and some speakers/rooms need it.

And there's always the treble tone control if you need it. We're AKers; we're tough. We can cope.
 
I'll verify that that's the aftermarket stylus I ended up with. It looks like a Jico in EVG packaging, with clear plastic surround. I love the sound of it on my (currently broken, grrr) SL-1700.
 
Good to hear you like the stylus, bad to hear the 1700 ("Mk 1"?) is down. Lots of speed pots in that one, if it's anything like my old SL-1500.
 
Lost left channel last night, looks like RCA cable shorted internally. 1700 Mk1 yes, very nice table. After 50 years of motorcycles, snowmobiles, power tools, and loud music, "a little bright" is just fine.

Verified - clear 237-DET from Carole's Needles. No more in stock there.... it replaced the original purple S912E
 
Last edited:
Excellent. But you'll have to change your screen name now. MacNoLongerANoob or some such.
 
Back
Top Bottom