• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Empire TT/E III Cartridge Info Needed

mabrow

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi All,

I picked up a JVC TT this past weekend and it came with an Empire cart/stylus that I have tried to research and haven't had any luck finding info on it.

See attached pics.

Plays and sound pretty good.

Cart is labeled Empire TT/E III. Stylus is labeled Empire I on the front and is translucent purple-ish color. When I google it, all that comes up is the 2000 E-III.

Appreciate the help!
 

Attachments

  • 20221110_080453.jpg
    20221110_080453.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221110_080510.jpg
    20221110_080510.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 24
Register to hide this ad
You could post your query there. More likely to get responses while you're slogging through all the posts.
It's not umpteen pages long for no good reason. :thumbsup:
 
Strange name for an Empire, with that stylus it could be a top end 66 series , which is a great cartridge . It could also be a 2000 E series with the wrong stylus. You'll have to test it with a multimeter to find out and post it here, get a Ohm's reading.
 
Thanks ctjetta and ig88. Not much of an electronics guy here. I do have a multimeter. If I receive instructions on the how/what/where to measure I'll sure give it a try.
 
OK-
iu

white/blue (Hannakuh) and red/green (Christmas): put your multi-meter probes on one pair, then the other. Report back with Ohm (resistance) readings. Preferably at the other site. Others more knowledgeable than I will be be able to aid you further.
Good luck.
 
Can do. "Report back with Ohm (resistance) readings. Preferably at the other site". What other site?
 
There's the big Empire thread and then there's another devoted to the resistance and inductance of Empire carts like yours.
 
white/blue 509.3, 503.6, 506.6

red/green 514.5, 507.3, 509.1
The measurement result indicates that this is the 66th series (possibly 66QE/X). Or the 2000E series ( also about 500 ohms ), but with a different stylus ..... But it's definitely not 2000 E/I, 2000E/II or 2000E/III - there the value of the winding resistances is about 1100 ohms.
 
Last edited:
As the others have said, it's a 66 series body, and in the photos it appears to have the top 66 stylus, the clear-purple S912E, already fitted, making the TT/E III another of the many clones of the 66QE/X. Let us know if a specifications sheet will be useful. The TT/E III was completely unknown to me, so thanks for the photos! EDIT: I'm obligated to say that the AK search function makes it unnecessary to peruse 500 posts.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Bill, salamander and wualta. I appreciate the info. Main reason for my post was to know what stylus would be needed when it comes time to replace it. This cart/stylus was on the JVC JL-F50 TT I bought a few days ago.
 
Hi All,

I picked up a JVC TT this past weekend and it came with an Empire cart/stylus that I have tried to research and haven't had any luck finding info on it.

See attached pics.

Plays and sound pretty good.

Cart is labeled Empire TT/E III. Stylus is labeled Empire I on the front and is translucent purple-ish color. When I google it, all that comes up is the 2000 E-III.

Appreciate the help!

“What we have here, is failure to communicate.”

Well at least Empire failed to communicate to the world that they only made two basic models of that “blob” style cart you purchased. The 66 and the 2000. (They had 2 other special high end model lines for cd-4 like 4000d and another special model line 2000z for the flattest hifi phono output).

You have there my favorite one of those models (the 66 model with the totl clear purple stylus) that will perform beautifully if the stylus is in good shape with respect to diamond wear and suspension condition. So well done!
Only way to find out if it is good isto set it up and try it out. Chances are it will perform well.

Empire made literally hundreds of different model numbers for each of their same cartridge bodies to sell to private vendors or overseas. Yes. Hundreds of different models all boiling down to two different models of blob cart.

It doesn’t matter what model numbers are on it. You have to measure the resistance or inductance to see what empire cart it really is, if they are marked with one of empires famous clone model number like yours.

Choices: One of the two regular line models 66 or 2000, or one of the two high end speciality models, 2000z or 4000d. The 2000z and its clones have a special smaller shanked stylus that you can’t use in any other blob empire cart. It is its own dog. Can’t be confused with the other gold blob bodied carts. So that model is easy to identify without a measurement.
The 4000d was a special low inductance body designed for cd-4 (4 channel quadraphonic albums). It has a special cut diamond and low induction to produce the high frequency carrier signal for cd-4.

So there you have it.

Disclaimer: Empire would do something weird to create sales and rename a cart with some new fancy looking stylus like the 2000X. It was not a brand new model but rather a 4000d bodied cart with a fancy gripped metallic red stylus that wasn’t the cd-4 cut.

I hope this clears up everything Empire.

Welcome to the Empire cool kids club. ECKC for short.
 
desertrat748,
Thanks for clearing up Empire's muddled model numbers. I bought the TT to setup a small system for my wife to listen to classical music and acoustic guitar LP's. She likes the full auto TT ease of operation. System now setup and sounding nice! I paired the TT up with a NAD 3130 integrated amp and Monitor Audio Gold 10 bookshelves.
 
desertrat748,
Thanks for clearing up Empire's muddled model numbers. I bought the TT to setup a small system for my wife to listen to classical music and acoustic guitar LP's. She likes the full auto TT ease of operation. System now setup and sounding nice! I paired the TT up with a NAD 3130 integrated amp and Monitor Audio Gold 10 bookshelves.

That’s a great setup. You can still find good aftermarket styli for your Empire. I just picked up a conical $16 online shopping from RiverTone for my empire blob carts. Sounds great and I actually using it right now for some used albums that I don’t trust with mc.

The beauty of the empires and especially the 66 & clones. Great performance with tracking, sound performance, and the availability of aftermarkets.

Cheers
 
I'll look at that RiverTone. Good idea to have a spare stylus. I haven't gone down that MC road yet. Afraid I will like them.....LOL
 
I'll look at that RiverTone. Good idea to have a spare stylus. I haven't gone down that MC road yet. Afraid I will like them.....LOL

No truer words w MC. But MC is picky (imho and experience) physical setup, component matching and setup. It’s expensive at best, and very expensive if you get involved with it and don’t build diy preamp/SUTs. Permutations are endless.

Empire is one of the better alternatives before going mc. Much easier to set up and play nicely with a wide variety of components.

The Empire 2000z is a lower output (not like my 7mV Rex 66 e/x or other 66 but ~ 4 mV), low effective mass tipped carts that imo head towards mc like performance. Very flat output, not dynamic, but balanced and detailed. I like to use it for comparison with my mc endeavors (just started recently).

If you can find one (2000z or a clone model like 2008 or 2000t) I would give it a try. PS. Use an original empire stylus like s2000z or s915e to achieve the best results. RiverTone made some conical aftermarket for the 2000z that performed quite well and were inexpensive like $12 ! Ha. Well built too!
 
Being on a retired budget imagine I will stick with MM unless an MC falls into my lap. I've looked at MC's off and on but I see the prices (yikes) on the good ones and cost if re-tipping is needed down the road.

I have a few different MM's here to choose from. Shure's - v15 type III, m75e type 2, super track plus (2), Hi-track, n97he (2), m91e and a premium. Also have a couple of Stantons & AT's & Grado & ADC.

If you have a link to the $16 RiverTone it would be appreciated.

Back to my spreadsheet to catalog a number of LP's I was given. It's really time consuming.
 
Back
Top Bottom