• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Enclosures for my TD15Ms Build thread (aka build this years AKfest MDF monstrosity)

Made a little progress this afternoon.

I cut the front baffle to allow the shelf bracing to slide in and did a little test fitting. Alignment seems very good, better than I expect without a doubt.

photo-7.jpg


Then I cut the shelf bracing which still needs to be opened up and on the top one, recessed for the driver. Which is about 9" deep. I also need to work out the vertical bracing scheme and get that added, then it will be time to start thinking about assembly.


photo-8.jpg


photo-9.jpg
 
Those look massive Dave.....I like massive. If I put my TT on one of those, between the two, I bet we could deflect the floor at AKfest an inch or two.
 
Got the lower shelf brace pattern cut out, I'll use my router to copy the pattern into the second speakers piece. I'll also be using a roundover bit to smooth any sharp edges within the cabinet.

The upper portion still needs to be designed as well as the vertical braces mentioned earlier.

I used a few bar clamps to tight everything up and the seams turned out way better than I could have hoped. Almost like I have a clue with what I'm doing, which is obviously not the case.

photo-10.jpg

photo-11.jpg

photo-12.jpg

photo-13.jpg

photo-14.jpg
 
You're gonna have Ed carry those to the fest room before I get there, right?
 
Great design Dave. Will look awesome with that big 15" driver in there.

How big are the Unity's?
 
Terry,

I have a bunch of ribbon sapele veneer I'll probably use. It looks a lot like mahogany but more stripey. I've always kind of liked the woody wagon look with mahogany and ash and I happen to have a lot of Ash lumber laying around. Because of that, it may end up as trim pieces.
 
Terry,

I have a bunch of ribbon sapele veneer I'll probably use. It looks a lot like mahogany but more stripey. I've always kind of liked the woody wagon look with mahogany and ash and I happen to have a lot of Ash lumber laying around. Because of that, it may end up as trim pieces.

Woody Wagon?
If Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon were in the picture with their surf boards, it would make a classic photo of your speakers.
(don' need no stinkin' Eric Von Zipper)

All kidding aside, that sounds like a nice combination of wood species. Looking forward to seeing the finished cabinets.

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
How big are these physically?
I have three potential designs for my 15X's; two are 80 x 60 x 40cm (~31 x 24 x 16"), with and without the 45° chamfers beginning just past the driver and the third shaped like so

tlsub30tzmodified.gif

(image pinched from a Visaton design for illustration of basic shape)

I'm only looking for about 100L net as I have 2/channel and will be sealed and EQ'd.

Was hoping to use your images to help choose what might be aesthetically better.

I like the wood inlay for the baffle in one of your drawings.
 
Back
Top Bottom