• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

End of the line for Pontiac

JerryM

Active Member
Even though I haven't bought an American brand in almost 30 years, I have a soft spot for Pontiac. My last American car was a red '77 Firebird Esprit. Still one their best-looking models, IMO. I only had it 3 years (due to an accident), and the V8 was kind of a gas-guzzler, but I loved that car. (My first car with a factory cassette player, BTW.) It was a total babe magnet. One morning, a week after I got it, I found a note on the windshield. It read something like, "I love this Firebird. And if you are male and single, I love you too." It had a phone # and was signed Julie, if I remember. I wasn't seeing anybody at the time, and I admit I was tempted to call her. But then I thought any girl who would leave her phone # on a stranger's car is probably not someone I'd want to get involved with.

Still sad to see an American icon bite the dust.

53218347_pr.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I always thought Buick would go before Pontiac. 'Tis a sad day for Pontiac enthusiasts indeed. :tears:
 
Sign of the times I am afraid!
I remember when my dad bought a brand new 1963 Pontiac Bonneville from the J.O. Williams dealer in Longview Texas. Mind you, I was only six, but still remember him putting me on his lap letting me steer.

May the memories linger always.

Rome
 
Even though I haven't bought an American brand in almost 30 years, I have a soft spot for Pontiac. My last American car was a red '77 Firebird Esprit. Still one their best-looking models, IMO. I only had it 3 years (due to an accident), and the V8 was kind of a gas-guzzler, but I loved that car. (My first car with a factory cassette player, BTW.) It was a total babe magnet. One morning, a week after I got it, I found a note on the windshield. It read something like, "I love this Firebird. And if you are male and single, I love you too." It had a phone # and was signed Julie, if I remember. I wasn't seeing anybody at the time, and I admit I was tempted to call her. But then I thought any girl who would leave her phone # on a stranger's car is probably not someone I'd want to get involved with.

Still sad to see an American icon bite the dust.

53218347_pr.jpg



This reminded me of a scene from Animal House - the one where pinto has the Mayor's daughter drunk and passed out on Hoover's bed. You know the one? Its where the little red devil pops up over his shoulder... nuff said.
 
I always lusted after those 70's T/A's & Formula's....

74ta.png


I finally pacified my want with a 1990 Formula Firebird 350. I lost her in a wreck exactly 11 years ago today. Got T-boned by a 55mph Mercury Topez that fit conveniently between my two axles. :tears:

1990firebirddeceased4.jpg


1990firebirddeceased6.jpg


1990firebirddeceased5.jpg


1990firebirddeceased3.jpg


1990firebirddeceased2.jpg


1990firebirddeceased.jpg
 
Last edited:
I helped a good friend of mine drop his rebuilt, 11:1 compression, numbers
matching, 3 deuce 389 into his 65 GTO about five years ago.

He had the car since he was 17 (it was his first car) and he's now on the
downward slope to being 50 this year.

Factory four speed and a rare blue on blue color scheme.

It's very tough to let the clutch out without chirping the tires with the posi
traction rear end.

Sad to see Pontiac go...

Scott
 
My Dad owned five when he was a young lad: a '48, a '51, I was brought home from the hospital in a '57, I grew up in a '60, and then he had a '56 as a go-to-work commuter. He loved every one of them.
 
I only had one Pontiac. That was a 69 Grand Prix that was a metallic root beer color with cream color rolled and pleated interior. I loved that car but that 400 C.I. quadrajet fed engine was a little too much of a gas guzzler for me.
 
Well; I suppose Pontiac can keep Plymouth company in the auto-afterlife.....

Be nice to see Goats and Runners drag-racing in heaven eh?


;)


Matt
 
My family has five PONTIACS, with the crown Jewel being a 66 GTO, hardtop, 4 speed. It is almost totally stock, other than 15" rally II wheels with BF Goodrich radial TA's, and the body color is VIPER RED, intead of the original martinique bronze. Also have a 95 trans am convertible, with many mods. the rest are two Grand Prix's, and a Grand Am,-all just daily drivers. I sincerly hope that "someone", or a group of some "BILLIONARE" PONTIAC enthuseists somehow end up owning the PONTIAC name, and re-forming the company at some point in the future. It may be a longshot, but I would sure love to see a new Firebird, or GTO again someday.
 
Color code VT

the crown Jewel being a 66 GTO, hardtop, 4 speed. It is almost totally stock, other than 15" rally II wheels with BF Goodrich radial TA's, and the body color is VIPER RED, intead of the original martinique bronze.

My 66 GTO, purchased from the original owner in 72, is a factory two-tone, Mission Beige on the bottom and Martinique Bronze on the top. It is an all-original car with the exception of the rims. It's a factory air car.
 
AFAIK the Pontiac G8 was manufactured in Adelaide, South Australia. I think it's the same as our Holden Commodore.
 
Sounds nice 70'ssales guy. This one dose not have air, and has the Carter 4 barrel, insted of TriPower. My Chiltons manual says you could also get it with a Rochester carb as well. It dose have the rally gauge package, and factory Hurst shifter. And of course, being an audio fan, It has a vintage sound radio, with Mp3 hookup, dual speakers under the dash in the location of the original "one", and two Boston Acuostic 6 by 9's hidden under the rear baggage tray. It's all totally hidden, with no modifications to the car itself, other that the reciever is a kind of "replica" of the origional,-with modern features, and performance.
 
Mission Beige baby!

I grew up in Charleston SC and I was NOT going to buy a car that WASN'T air-conditioned! The original owners had ordered the car which probably accounts for the rare color combination. It is an automatic with console, PS and PB car with the Carter.

The original owners were a middle-aged couple with no kids. The car was dead stock when I bought it and all I have changed on it was the rims. It came with the factory wheel covers, which I kept.

It was the car I drove all through college and obviously, the car I drove when I was the 70salesguy! After I graduated and got a "real" job, I bought a smaller car that got better gas mileage, but kept the GTO. By that time, GTOs were out of production and I knew that I would never sell or trade it!
 
It read something like, "I love this Firebird. And if you are male and single, I love you too." It had a phone # and was signed Julie, if I remember. I wasn't seeing anybody at the time, and I admit I was tempted to call her. But then I thought any girl who would leave her phone # on a stranger's car is probably not someone I'd want to get involved with.

Why not? I would have. Maybe she had some nice girfriends, too. My wife, Julie, gave me her phone number before I even knew her name.
Oh. I inherited my late father's Pontiac 6000 years ago. A very comfortable riding car.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom