• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Energy Veritas 2.3i vs JBL L100T

Just from reading this thread it sounds like you've come to like the JBL L100T for some reason, and those reasons don't sound like they are sonic reasons. Have you heard the JBL L100T's?

Here's what I would do. Ask your friend to bring them over and do an A/B. Tell him that if you prefer the sound of the JBL L100T's, then you will do the swap. But quite honestly I'm with almost everyone else in saying those Energy's are going to be the better speaker. However, this will put to rest your thoughts and what you should do.
 
^^^

+1

You've been given some great input here, but canuckaudiodog is right.....the only right way for you to do this is get the JBLs over your house, in your room, with your gear, and decide for yourself based on what you hear.

About a year into this hobby I figured out that auditioning a speaker at some place other than my own only offered me two certainties....1) that the speaker works or doesn't work as it should and 2) that the speaker sounds good/bad/mediocre in the room where the audition is taking place and with the gear that is powering it during the audition....same for getting advice on the sound and character of a speaker from a discussion forum or user review.
 
Well.. I finally have heard both...

The JBL L100T seems to play louder without distorting..

The Energy Veritas 2.3i is more transparent and smoother on the top end.

Both are excellent but I think the 2.3i is more impressive.
 
Well.. I finally have heard both...

The JBL L100T seems to play louder without distorting..

The Energy Veritas 2.3i is more transparent and smoother on the top end.

Both are excellent but I think the 2.3i is more impressive.

This is exactly what I anticipated you'd find.
 
Well.. I finally have heard both...

The JBL L100T seems to play louder without distorting..

The Energy Veritas 2.3i is more transparent and smoother on the top end.

Both are excellent but I think the 2.3i is more impressive.

Now you have made the choice based on "Your" findings. Now you can make the proper choice for yourself!!:thmbsp:
 
I'm not now, nor have I ever in this thread, suggested the OP trade, I never said the JBL was better, but when someone says the L100t sucks, is cheap, and can be found anywhere, they simply are mistaken or flat out FOS!

It still amazes me how often people here confuse the L100 to the much newer, and much better L100t/t3. JBL really should have called the L100t something else, as I have seen the two confused at least 25 times in recent threads.

The Energy speaker probably is better, but it seems some need to get their facts straight on what the L100t actually is...and no, it's not some version of a L100, L100 century or whatever.
I have to agree with the naming convention. After enough posts read I personally wouldn't make the mistake of confusing them, but to many L100 is L100 no matter what the suffix. Bad move on JBL's part, but they aren't the only guilty party for this. More likely, than anything else, it's all about "milking" a name, or in this case a model.

Companies really should avoid this practice, it's deceptive, and in the case of this particular model not flattering since so many have more praise for the "t" models than the non "t" model. Just my 2 cents.
 
back when I went to college in '77 I bought my stereo system with a pair of polk monitor 5 maybe 7's (it's been so long i really don't remember) When I joined the Army and was stationed in Germany in the mid 80's L-100Ts in the PX drew me right away. From an appearance standpoint the all veneer look just was striking to me and the wall of sound they projected just blew me away. Went the payment plan on them and they were my main speakers for 20+ years

However they eventually got sold. For what they are, they are. Would I trade the Energy's for them? I haven't heard the Energy's but even so I probably would not just from a cost standpoint. If A is worth $300 and B is worth $800 it's just a stupid trade in my opinion. Now i could say A sounds better than B then OK I'd buy A and sell B and pocket $500

Personally I appreciate the sound of the L-100T's and if the right deal came along I'd probably snap them up again and same with the Energy's. If the right deal came along, I'd get them as well. But to do a totally unequal trade from a monetary standpoint just seems foolish

sort of like I just snapped these up. They are what they are Having personally gone through maybe 150-200 pairs of speakers since joining AK, I've found a lot that I could live with and be happy and some that sounded like crap. But I like playing around, so they come and go so it really becomes about the deal whether they get bought or not. A dumb deal is a dumb deal

p6130220.jpg
 
Last edited:
Just to clarify I wouldn't be trading the Energy Veritas 2.3i for the JBL L100T with the same person. I'd sell the 2.3i and save around $300. I don't need this money right now but I was wondering if the L100T wouldn't be better for my music tastes.

After hearing it I think yes, sometimes it is, specially with bad recordings the JBL L100T is more forgiving and fun to listen to.
 
The L100t3s that I have don't lack for bass at all. (amp is a Adcom GFA 555, 200watts per channel) They do have a 12" LF driver for what it's worth. My tastes in music run to mostly rock so bass is important to me. I also have the L80t3 and the difference is substantial to my ears compared to the L100t3s. I can't speak to the Energy as I've never heard them. You're really best served if you can compare side by side as others have said.:yes:
 
Just to clarify I wouldn't be trading the Energy Veritas 2.3i for the JBL L100T with the same person. I'd sell the 2.3i and save around $300. I don't need this money right now but I was wondering if the L100T wouldn't be better for my music tastes.

After hearing it I think yes, sometimes it is, specially with bad recordings the JBL L100T is more forgiving and fun to listen to.

I haven't heard the Energy's.....although I really like the Canadian speakers i.e. Paradigm, PSB, etc. My L100t3's are respectable speakers and I enjoy listening to them (powered them with tubes for the first time recently and really enjoyed the results).....but they are not my best performers. I have several that I feel offer better overall fidelity and sonic character....but none are in the sub-$400 range that the JBLs are in. The only speakers I have that can do a live hard rock recording better than the JBL's would be Infinity QLS-1's...which are in a totally different class of loudspeaker. My Electro Voice Interface C II's come very close, but I prefer the bass from that 2214 driver (the 100t/t3's greatest strength IMO). If you've identified your own personal needs and it's looking like the JBL's are the better fit for you then by all means...get 'em. I think someone suggested having both for at least a little while so you can live with each model simultaneously, A/B them with different material, then unload a set if you feel you no longer have a need for them.
 
People routinely dismiss the L100T as being a L100. They are vastly different but people see L100 and just make assumptions.

I missed a chance a while back to pick up a pair for only $65.:sigh:

I did eventually find a pair of L80t's though, and at least with those, I don't have to explain that they aren't something else every single time I bring them up.:thmbsp:
 
I currently have a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2i and center channel 2.0i. The top end sounds a little too hot to me, a bit on the shrill side. Overall I find them fatiguing, and I would like to make them sound better. I haven't gotten rid of them yet because they are such an expensive speaker and I would prefer to make them work for me - somehow.

That said, in the same room I also have a pair of L110s and ADS L810s. To my ears the L810s sound the best, particularly on jazz. Rock sounds better on the JBLs. Home theater sounds better on the Veritas. Sorry, but that's what I hear.

Still, I would not get rid of the 2.3is so easily. In the demo rooms they sounded head and shoulders above the rest, with the exception of the 2.4i.

Seems that rock sounds best on the JBLs because JBL was the studio monitor of choice back in the day and most classic rock was mixed on JBL.

FWIW, Klipsch (which bought Energy parent company API) tech support tells me that even though new Veritas and other Energy-branded speakers are being built, that API actually went out of business and the older parts are no longer being produced. He said Klipsch bought the name and the old stock.

Not sure how accurate that is. My 2.0s were warranty upgraded by Energy (just pre-Klipsch) into a pair of 2.2is which were made in China. The drivers looked to be absolutely identical to the old, the difference being that the defective plastic clad boxes (which often peeled) were now gloss-painted MDF. I would guess that the Canadian plant's equipment went to China, where the current crop of Energy speakers are built.

But if you keep the Veritas, you might want to check with Energy for parts availability in the event you might need a tweeter/midrange module.

I still would not trade for the JBL but sell and convert to something else. OR if you did trade for the JBL the 250 (T/ Ti?) series (triangular) would be in a similar $$ class and would have that presence that only a large woofer gives.
 
I currently have a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2i and center channel 2.0i. The top end sounds a little too hot to me, a bit on the shrill side. Overall I find them fatiguing, and I would like to make them sound better. I haven't gotten rid of them yet because they are such an expensive speaker and I would prefer to make them work for me - somehow.

How are your room's acoustics? Any treatments?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but if you haven't looked into that then start there.

To keep it relevant I'll submit that before I treated my room I found the 100t3's to have a shrill top end and unpleasant midrange. After treatements they were surprisingly refined and accurate and much, much more enjoyable to listen to. I'll add that they had kind of fallen out of favor after I got my Vandersteen 2ci's and I pulled them out of rotation for quite some time. While the Vandersteens were in the game I did much of the acoustic treatments. After I got my tube amp I decided to give the high sensitivity JBL's another go. Man, what a sweet transformation the acoustic treatments and ST-70 amp made to the 100t3's.
 
Last edited:
I currently have a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2i and center channel 2.0i. The top end sounds a little too hot to me, a bit on the shrill side. Overall I find them fatiguing, and I would like to make them sound better. I haven't gotten rid of them yet because they are such an expensive speaker and I would prefer to make them work for me - somehow.

That said, in the same room I also have a pair of L110s and ADS L810s. To my ears the L810s sound the best, particularly on jazz. Rock sounds better on the JBLs. Home theater sounds better on the Veritas. Sorry, but that's what I hear.

Still, I would not get rid of the 2.3is so easily. In the demo rooms they sounded head and shoulders above the rest, with the exception of the 2.4i.

Seems that rock sounds best on the JBLs because JBL was the studio monitor of choice back in the day and most classic rock was mixed on JBL.

FWIW, Klipsch (which bought Energy parent company API) tech support tells me that even though new Veritas and other Energy-branded speakers are being built, that API actually went out of business and the older parts are no longer being produced. He said Klipsch bought the name and the old stock.

Not sure how accurate that is. My 2.0s were warranty upgraded by Energy (just pre-Klipsch) into a pair of 2.2is which were made in China. The drivers looked to be absolutely identical to the old, the difference being that the defective plastic clad boxes (which often peeled) were now gloss-painted MDF. I would guess that the Canadian plant's equipment went to China, where the current crop of Energy speakers are built.

But if you keep the Veritas, you might want to check with Energy for parts availability in the event you might need a tweeter/midrange module.

I still would not trade for the JBL but sell and convert to something else. OR if you did trade for the JBL the 250 (T/ Ti?) series (triangular) would be in a similar $$ class and would have that presence that only a large woofer gives.
It may not be the speakers. What are your ancillaries?
 
It may not be the speakers. What are your ancillaries?

I would also look elsewhere for upgrades. Not to the speakers but to what they're being fed. Two speakers of varying quality might sound the same on some gear. But at some point, the better speaker will leave the other behind when you get to a point where it can show improvements lost on the other one.
 
I would also look elsewhere for upgrades. Not to the speakers but to what they're being fed. Two speakers of varying quality might sound the same on some gear. But at some point, the better speaker will leave the other behind when you get to a point where it can show improvements lost on the other one.


Don't want to be threadcrapping on the OP here.
This part of the discussion has been reproduced in Listening Spaces

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=5800533#post5800533
 
Well, finally I have compared thoroughly these speakers:

Energy Veritas 2.3i x JBL L100T
Energy Veritas 2.3i x JBL L100T w/ T3 crossovers

The L100T with original crossover has a transparent sound, much like the Veritas. They are probably in the same league and to my taste. The L100T played better in loud volumes but with very hot highs.

The L100T w/ T3 crossovers made me remember of the McIntosh sound. Rolled-off highs and veiled mids. I didn't like it.

I guess I will probably stick to the L100T, but I need to tame a bit the shrillness. Does anyone have an idea as how to do that?

Maybe the tweeter "foam" is the problem? If I tune down the cabinet, this will tame the highs?
 
Well, finally I have compared thoroughly these speakers:

Energy Veritas 2.3i x JBL L100T
Energy Veritas 2.3i x JBL L100T w/ T3 crossovers

The L100T with original crossover has a transparent sound, much like the Veritas. They are probably in the same league and to my taste. The L100T played better in loud volumes but with very hot highs.

The L100T w/ T3 crossovers made me remember of the McIntosh sound. Rolled-off highs and veiled mids. I didn't like it.

I guess I will probably stick to the L100T, but I need to tame a bit the shrillness. Does anyone have an idea as how to do that?

Maybe the tweeter "foam" is the problem? If I tune down the cabinet, this will tame the highs?

Wow, that's pretty much exactly the opposite my experience when I swapped t3 xovers into my t's. But, you heard what you heard and found a preference and that's all that matters. As far as your shrill top end question I'd say, for me at least, going to the t3 xover and treating my room took care of that. I never once felt like the highs were rolled off when I went to the t3 xover, but instead were tamed, refined, and smoothed out. So, for you, I'd say look at your room's acoustics and if it has no treatments or lots of reflective surfaces I'd certainly address that issue. That Ti tweeter can get out of control in a reflective room and getting it treated will pay back far more benefits than just taming your highs. Concerns over issues with the cabinets or tweeter foam would be lower on my troubleshooting list.
 
Back
Top Bottom