• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Entry level audio, just what is it?

Listen to this, on another forum, a guy with Fluance Towers was claiming his speaks/system sounded every bit as good as a B&W 803 diamonds with McIntosh amps supplying the power. I am sure we both agree that this is ridiculous and measurable verifiable.

Is preference subject to verification?

Or is the control sufficient on the many possible aspects of such a comparison?

We seldom get the whole story. Even here, you've added more detail (post #20) after this post with the blanket statement.

IMO, classification/categorization is often just a means of easy/convenient dismissal.
 
Last edited:
Entry-level to me includes the notion that the consumer is concerned about sound quality, not just buying a mass market item to fulfill a role. Thus a home-theatre-in-a-box or a $39 disc player are not even entry-level, but a Topping chip amp or a Bose Acoustimass set is. The Topping buyer may well proceed deeper into the hobby, but the Bose buyer may be satisfied and never want more.

I know, confusing, even to me. :)
Some of my favorite components were considered entry level. As in at or near the bottom of the offered line of equipment. It doesn't have to mean cheap or just so-so sounding. Just lower powered or fewer functions. One tuner I have has the same tuner section as the two models above it. I acually like the "cheaper" one. Some of the functions the other tuners have I never use anyway.
 
People who you define with today's sound are not audio folks. They want modulated sound that resembles some variation of music. Today's level of quality of sound is not significantly different than what yesteryear offered for the typical family. The nature and size of the delivery system may have changed. Computer versus rack system, table top radio versus blue tooth speaker...but the intent, functionality, and sound quality level are not significantly different. Although the point could be made that the cheaper systems of today offer better sound quality than the cheapest systems of yesteryear, and there would be merit to that concept. Form has changed, but not the function.

Regards
Mister Pig

Very valid points. That is another way to look at it. I like the table top radio to bluetooth speaker comparison.

I guess I need to re-evaluate now. :)
 
What do you consider to be entry level audio?

That would depend on the context and perspective. For example, entry-level could simply refer to the lowest ranking tuners/receivers/tape decks/speakers/whatevers from a particular manufacturer (possibly limited to a certain time-span). And understood in a wider sense it would depend on whether one would be looking from a hifi perspective or rather from the perspective of Joe Average, 'cause from the former perspective anything that would rather be consumer stereo level than hifi would pretty likely already be regarded as entry-level, whereas entry-level audio for Joe Average may rather mean something like a small, portable transistor radio.

Or in other words, to me such terms/attributes always are pretty relative - an in the context of my hifi forum usage my own definitions or categorisations usually aren't as important as trying my best to have a good guess what the advice-seeking poster may associate with a certain term/attribute.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
To me personally there are three criteria. First SQ has to be of an acceptable level. Then price comes into play, and there is some stuff out there that works better than its price would suggest. Schiit for example makes some stuff that plays to a much higher price point. Third, the build quality should be, while not fantastic, at least not total junk. Preferably it would be something that would last a good long while. Concerning digital features in amps, speakers, turntables etc, it isn't a deal killer if it has it, but I don't require it or seek it out and wonder how much I am paying for it and what else that is more important (to me) is being sacrificed in my 3 criteria.

I am not up on the latest, but an integrated amp I have had my eye on for a separate system I've been thinking about is the Yamaha AS 501 and I would probably consider this entry level. For speakers I would like to try the JBL "Studio" series as a place to start for a entry level speaker.

Brand name is much less of a factor in anything entry level to me.
 
Last edited:
So, given all the "scroe" threads, the person who buys a complete Leak stereo is in the same entry-level boat as the person who bought the Yorx?

I was referring to in general terms what most entry level vintage equipment in my area sells for and I don't think anybody in their right mind would pay anywhere close to $300 for a Yorx outfit. I even stated that a person could do well if they spent their money wisely but that would probably take more time. As far as "scroes" go there are thousands upon thousands of people all over the world on this site and sure some are going to find good, great and super deals but that isn't the norm.

Example of what I've got that I would consider entry level. Teac BX-300 integrated amp, Teac TX-300 tuner. I bought them at an estate sale for $35.00. I have a Pioneer direct drive turntable that I bought on Craigslist for $20.00. I don't remember the model number but it's really not that bad. I've got a pair of Polk Monitor 7's with a couple screw holes in one where they had it mounted to the wall that I bought off of Craigslist for $30.00. One of them had a blown tweeter and I bought one off Ebay for $20.00. I don't use any of this stuff except for the Polks and they're in my work room. For a $105 plus a little gas and time this to me makes an entry level system. I'm sure there are some around here that have bought a lot better for about the same amount of money but I know I haven't and don't think most people have.

I could take $300 and probably within six months find a decent entry level system and maybe better than entry level if I got lucky.
 
31UHqAMByFL._AC_US218_.jpg
41Gf9YVFGwL._AC_US218_.jpg
418QB+HSU1L._AC_US218_.jpg
511ox63z6yL._AC_US218_.jpg
31Vn50baFNL._AC_US218_.jpg


On an audio web site ... I think in terms of well known audio manufactures (Pro-Ject, Yamaha, Elac.. etc) entry level products.
 
Decent flea watt receiver, deck, and speakers. Not a rack system, nor a Crosley, or equivalent.
 
I'm thinking, a definition that has yet to be defined and agreed upon I guess, is anyone's opinion. My opinion would be entry price point audio that gets you into HiFi territory. Such as my first little system from the '70s: A used Kenwood KA 2002, BSR TT with magnetic cartridge and whatever those acoustic suspension house speakers I bought before trading them in on OLAs. This replaced the all in one Titan stereo from the late '60s, that I wouldn't call entry level audio, but more of a toy.
 
I was referring to in general terms what most entry level vintage equipment in my area sells for and I don't think anybody in their right mind would pay anywhere close to $300 for a Yorx outfit. I even stated that a person could do well if they spent their money wisely but that would probably take more time. As far as "scroes" go there are thousands upon thousands of people all over the world on this site and sure some are going to find good, great and super deals but that isn't the norm.

Example of what I've got that I would consider entry level. Teac BX-300 integrated amp, Teac TX-300 tuner. I bought them at an estate sale for $35.00. I have a Pioneer direct drive turntable that I bought on Craigslist for $20.00. I don't remember the model number but it's really not that bad. I've got a pair of Polk Monitor 7's with a couple screw holes in one where they had it mounted to the wall that I bought off of Craigslist for $30.00. One of them had a blown tweeter and I bought one off Ebay for $20.00. I don't use any of this stuff except for the Polks and they're in my work room. For a $105 plus a little gas and time this to me makes an entry level system. I'm sure there are some around here that have bought a lot better for about the same amount of money but I know I haven't and don't think most people have.

I could take $300 and probably within six months find a decent entry level system and maybe better than entry level if I got lucky.
Ah, I see. Equipment worth a thousand of dollars, not entry-level, just bought at ridiculously low (scroe) prices.
 
Entry Level is a complete BS term most likely invented by the UK HiFi press and perpetuated by retailers in the 1980s. The term serves to class-separate purchasers and enables a sort of looking-down-the-nose by dealers and audiophiles. eg "Are you looking for Entry Level or something better?" or "Oh yes, he bought a nice little entry level system for his beach-house" etc...

Plenty of so-called High-End gear isn't, and plenty of stuff referred to as Entry Level performs well above its description.

It's what is inside the gear, how it is built, how it performs on the test bench and most importantly, in your lounge room that determines whether gear is a great entry into real HiFi, or just another overrated piece of poorly made and overpriced wannabe HiFi gear.
 
the pre mentioned by the op sounds like it could be emotiva basx
i have one and am quite pleased with it
it may be 300 in the US but getting one is ca is alot closer to
$600 -700
i have lots and lots of stuff, literally 3 rooms full of stacks of stuff
vintage hi end and entry level... i got tired of always fussing with vintage, [ tho some works absolutely perfect ]
i got a good deal on an emotiva 2 chan amp so wanted a pre/ dac to match
the basx pre does all i want
i dont use the fm [ i do but its streamed ]
but for the price i have a matching system
i have NAD [ that needs no fussing and is rebuilt] and carver and yammie
that i use every day and loud .. i make the stuff work... and for today i'm happy

Steve Guttenberg pronounced it ee-mo- tee-va
in that other thread
call it wut you want it works and sound good

but really i wanted an outlaw receiver, couldnt get one new or used
but it gets great reviews, and the name is bad ass! :D
 
Ah, I see. Equipment worth a thousand of dollars, not entry-level, just bought at ridiculously low (scroe) prices.

I'm just offering my opinion that you don't have to subscribe to so it's whatever you think it is. I don't know how much "Equipment worth a thousand of dollars" is worth but I guess it's a lot.
 
Back
Top Bottom