• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Entry level audio, just what is it?

Certainly we all think of something different when considering what is entry level.
I think this was what I was saying in a roundabout way when you use my entire sentence. 'I'm thinking, a definition that has yet to be defined and agreed upon I guess, is anyone's opinion.'
 
jj2, s1973: I think "entry-level" in the sense of "one's personal starting point/level" wouldn't really be of much use, as it would be all too relative. Hence I'd also highly doubt that Joe Average would usually understand "entry-level" in that sense - unless it would be a statement with explicitely that sense like for example: "My entry-level turntable was a Thorens TD320." Whereas if someone would post something like "I've got an entry-level Thorens", one would probably rather think of a TD104/105 (maybe also TD110/115), TD280 or even TD180 (or maybe also one of the more recent entry-level Thorens models that are slightly modified Dual CS4xx family models and made by Dual-Fehrenbacher).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
There are many brands that have both lofi and hifi offerings. It isn't just a price point, it is a level of performance.

Think about the All-in-One Rack systems that every mass manufacturer had in the 80s, that was Low Fi
Then look at gear in early 90s like B&K, Hafler and a few others. You could get decent sound and level of performance than above. I considered this Entry Level to High End.

Sony had Sony and ES, Onkyo Had Onkyo and Integra (later combined)

Today there is TEAC, which is low end, but also sell Very High End gear under the name of Esoteric

There are way too many variables but if you go out and listen to a bunch of stuff at varying levels of both performance, which sometimes relates to price, you will get a first hand understanding and answer to your question.

And 40 y/o recapped receivers are not High End in my book.
:rolleyes:
 
I liked this post, but it needs to be requoted anyhow.

I wouldn't concur that it's a BS term. However, I'd say that it turns into a BS term, if one automatically associates or respectively tries to imply bad/worse performance, functionality or whatever with that term.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I can't explain it , but I know it when I see it . My entry level system was a Fisher RS2002 receiver , Fisher ST730 speakers and a Technics SL-D2 turntable .
 
Although I had Heathkits, various Sony Receivers and HT units, my Entry Level system as stated earlier was Hafler 9180 and 945 with a Marants 67SE and Mirage M970s, everything before that was just entry level audio.
 
I have never understood why college costs are thrown on the shoulders of our children.

Again--getting off topic, but my big issue is why college costs are based on the parents income. Financial aid is available, but if you are a recent graduate (from high school), your eligibility is based on your parents income--and there is no guarantee that they will/can fork up that money. I went to college with a fraternity brother whose parents had a (combined) 7 figure income--dad was a vice president for an insurance company, mom was an ER nurse--but 4 kids in college at the same time and payments on the country club McMansiion, they were broke. Chris spent his last semester sleeping in the spare bedroom of my shitty apartment (with two pythons) because the only way they could get any financial aid was to take out high interest private loans that no one could afford. Just more stupid things we did back in the late 70's and early 80's--but we're still here. Chris woke up more than once with a snake in bed with him--body heat and the fact that it was a water-bed (heated)--God--now I feel really OLD.:)
 
I have never cared for the terms low fi, mid fi, (hi fi is fine because I grew up with it and I see it in broader terms) Low and Mid fi are simply ways to divide us up by class or status and a place for hurt feelings and arguments to fester. Entry level can have blurred lines to it but it is where we all get our start. Mine was a Marantz 1120, a Garrard tt, Teac 7" reel to reel and a pair of Bose 501 speakers. That was my entry in around 1972 while still living at home. I didn't buy that all at once but over a year or 2. Other friends had either nothing, Panasonic junk (not technics) JC Penny etc. This was not entry level, at least from my perspective, but there were obviously a lot better "starter" systems too.

I suppose entry level could be defined as the point when for the first time a music lover decides to take a more serious role in the playback of music he/she is passionate about and is willing to find and spend on better quality sound and better manufactured equipment than what could be had at the department store. .
 
The term "entry-level" - when not purposefully used to be either a) helpful (i.e. Yes you should buy that as your first TT, it's a solid machine, good entry level piece of equipment) or b) condescending (I.e. well, I consider that an entry level xxxx because mine cost 10x as much, so... it goes without saying that my junk is massive and women faint when I enter rooms) is simply the lowest model of a given Manufacturer's line.

Some brands (crosley, yorx, Colby, etc) only produce poor quality.

Others run the spectrum- Pioneer for example CANNOT be considered an entry level brand as a whole, but a cheap sound bar is, while an Elite component based system is not.

Ppl buy $10,000+ systems as their first system so the notion that what ever your first system was, is "entry-level" is garbage.

Entry Level is the lowest rung on the ladder of a manufacturers product line. Classifying someone's system as "Entry-Level" is more often than not a judgement based on feelings of superiority, but sometimes it is helpful advice to a newcomer to the world of quality audio equipment.
 
As others have noted so eloquently, a big part is brand, cost, and model line positioning. It is the first rung on the ladder to audio satisfaction. Most BOTL from most brands would be entry level. Entry level and audiophile are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to prefer low powered gear over high powered gear. It is possible to prefer less expensive gear over more expensive gear.
 
Entry level? Whatever you think it is. I guess the manufacturer makes a difference. For example, entry an level McIntosh system wouldn't be cheap.
 
Entry Level is the lowest rung on the ladder of a manufacturers product line. Classifying someone's system as "Entry-Level" is more often than not a judgement based on feelings of superiority, but sometimes it is helpful advice to a newcomer to the world of quality audio equipment.

Interestingly enough, this kind of behavior is often from people who feel inferior not superior.

They attempt to appear superior to compensate.

also, (I think I already spoke to this) many times it's how we hear. It is normal for people to be proud and show you a pick of their kid or new car or dog or audio....stamp collection, bar in the basement, new wine cellar.....

Do we look at them as just happy people wanting to share something that makes them happy (very normal human trait) or do we view them as showing off?

If so, it may be more telling about ourselves.
 
"Entry level" and 'mid-fi' as audio terms are so relative that they're really meaningless. But I'll try to give it some meaning, from my point of view. Entry level(mid-fi, usually) is what you buy when you specifically want better sound, and is good enough that you can live with it long-term if you decide you don't need to indulge the hobby any further. In other words, it's more than just something you bought because it was on sale, but it's not the last word in anything.

And when an 'audiophile' says that I have a nice entry level system, I don't take it as condescending, necessarily. In this instance, I think that 'entry level' is a way of acknowledging that a noticeably less expensive system can still sound good enough to deserve some respect. The GEAR is mid-fi, the SOUND is hi-fi. It's pretty simple, really.

You, of course, are free to interpret or respond in any manner you see fit. But I don't let 'entry level' or 'mid-fi' bother me.
 
Interestingly enough, this kind of behavior is often from people who feel inferior not superior.
Absolutely! I think I have heard owners describe their own systems as "mid" or even low fi more often than someone else with a better system pointing their finger down at those beneath. There are all sorts of reasons for buying lessor systems, and most are financial. I personally have more respect for those who have a lessor system that he bought knowing it's what he could afford than someone who blew out the limits of his credit charging something he had no financial business buying.
 
Entry level audio has different meanings such as your first experience or exposure to music or to others it could mean the build quality of a stereo component and then there is sound quality.... So what is entry mean for you?
 
Some interesting perspectives In this thread.

For me it doesnt say anything about absolute quality, only that it is the most affordable component(s) in a manufacturers range.

Usually designed to wet the appetite of someone interested in the brand but not sure they really should spend the money.
 
"Entry level" means exactly what it infers; The opening price point in whatever somebody is selling. There is no deeper esoteric meaning, at least to someone like me with an objectivist point of view. Things are what they are no matter what people perceive them to be.

EDIT! When talking about items that are bought and sold, like we are talking about, the term Entry Level is the Opening Price Point.
 
Last edited:
"Entry level" means exactly what it infers; The opening price point in whatever somebody is selling. There is no deeper esoteric meaning, at least to someone like me with an objectivist point of view. Things are what they are no matter what people perceive them to be.


LOL, slow down, Cowboy.

I see no "esoteric" posts here.

Fact is, you are wrong.

entry level defined: "(of a product) suitable for a beginner or first-time user; basic."

hence, saying it's the opening price point in whatever someone is sell" is not correct, many companies do not sell entry level items.

and also, you can take the whole "no matter what people perceive them to be" too far.

Consider quantum theory.

A strict objectivist will allow for what he does not understand. He does not talk in absolutes.

Something to think about.
 
"Entry level" means exactly what it infers; The opening price point in whatever somebody is selling. There is no deeper esoteric meaning, at least to someone like me with an objectivist point of view. Things are what they are no matter what people perceive them to be.


Wait up a sec....

Here is one of the Entry Level (lowest price point in MFG offerings) items from TEAC that costs $372
HR-S101-SC_Angled_R640x320_1024x1024.png


And here is the "Esoteric" level of TEAC that costs $20K
main.jpg
 
What a thread?! Entry level is now one of most misunderstood catch phrases of the modern era. It seemed so much simpler when it just implied a beginner's entrance to something.
 
Back
Top Bottom