• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Entry level receiver recommendation for turntable

combatwaffle

New Member
Hey guys, I recently got a Pro-Ject Debut III and I'm looking for a good, entry level receiver for it. At first I bought an Insignia receiver from Best Buy, but I wasn't too thrilled with the quality, so I figured I might as well dish out a little more cash for decent receiver.

I was looking on Amazon for some cheapish, well reviewed units, and I found this: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8255B-TX-8255-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B001AMSPQI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Does anyone know about the quality of this particular receiver? I'm also going to use it to plug my TV into when I watch movies or to play video games, but my turntable is my highest priority for this. Or does anyone have any other suggestions? I would prefer to buy on Amazon, because I get free two day shipping, and they're usually the cheaper option, but I'm willing to look elsewhere. I've been looking on Craigslist for the past week or so for something else, but I don't see any that have phono inputs.
 
Register to hide this ad
If you're using an MM Cartridge. something like a Sansui Seven, or Sansui Eight-Eight Deluxe will rock the house. Mark
 
I'd love to know how this Onkyo receiver stacks up against the Yamaha A-S500, especially in the phono stage.
 
CombatWaffle- where are you located?

You never know- there may be an AKer local to you that has something nice up for grabs.

however, that Onkyo is an update of the 8211/8511 series, which was a respectable line, the 8511 being a very good and wise purchase. The 8211 was it's younger, less achieving brother.

The 8255 is good, but if you can stretch your budget to the 8555, I'd say it is a wise move. It's only $60 more, and a big step up in performance.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8555B-TX-8555-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B001AMUFMA/ref=pd_cp_e_2
 
Onkyo A-9555

Not a receiver, but a very well-recommended integrated amplifier. (The only difference is that a receiver has a built-in tuner section, an integrated amplifier does not.)
 
I have always been impressed with the sound of the Harmon Kardon units , even the AVR home theater ones , some might find them too warm though:scratch2:

You can snag a good deal on the used market , some of the older Pro logic (non AC-3 ) units go for next to nothing and most of them still have good phono stages in them .
 
Thanks for all the input guys.

@thedelihaus: I'm in Orlando, FL. Also I was hoping to spend under 200 for the receiver, because I still most likely have to buy new speakers, but if the Onkyo TX-8555 has that much better performance, I might just get that.

@jhoyt and Balifly: Those are a little more than I was looking to spend, thanks though.

@ARJohn: I found this: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3390-Performance/dp/B00198BOAM/ref=sr_1_2?

It's cheaper than the Onkyo thedelihaus suggested, so I might be interested in that as well.

@Frank Sol: Just a bit out of my price range.
 
I got a H/K AVR for my Mom, and it's way more than She needs...It sounds Great, and more AV Functions and Effects then you'd ever need..
PS...You can live without the Remote....It took me Months & $$ to find one for my Mom's...And we never use it..
 
Last edited:
Do you need modern multichannel stuff, or would a vintage 2 channel be OK? Theres a huge amount of nice vintage stuff out there that would be a better bang for your buck if your main concern is stereo at a good price. Those will do tv as a source, but you're limited to basic 2 channel sound and generally speaking no remote control.
 
Thanks for all the input guys.

@thedelihaus: I'm in Orlando, FL. Also I was hoping to spend under 200 for the receiver, because I still most likely have to buy new speakers, but if the Onkyo TX-8555 has that much better performance, I might just get that.

@jhoyt and Balifly: Those are a little more than I was looking to spend, thanks though.

@ARJohn: I found this: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3390-Performance/dp/B00198BOAM/ref=sr_1_2?

It's cheaper than the Onkyo thedelihaus suggested, so I might be interested in that as well.

@Frank Sol: Just a bit out of my price range.

If you check your local web sites you might turn up a deal ? The older non 5.1 receivers sell cheap but do good 2 channel duty , HK / Yamaha etc . I had an HK unit for a few weeks that was part of deal and was impressed with the sound and it was a lo powered unit , but HK seem to under rate their stuff . But if you can hang in something might come up local , cheap with no shipping .

happy hunting :thmbsp:
 
An AK member recommended me this receiver:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...iver/9693507.p?id=1218151628383&skuId=9693507

I bought it and love it.
I had to add a notch of treble and bass to make it sound the way I like it though, but that's just me. :)

What turntable do you have and what speakers? That's the receiver that I had, but I was having a problem with the quality of the audio. I'm not sure if it's coming from the TT, the receiver, or the speakers, so I'm just replacing/returning the stuff that I have one by one so I can find out what the actual problem is.

I don't think I need more than 2 channel but more would be nice, just because I would like to be able to use it for movies and video games.
 
Forgot to mention , I am not saying that HK is the best for you , just that unit was there , search out any other brand and you could find similar deals , just be sure they have a phono input and ask back here for opinions .
 
Back
Top Bottom