• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Entry level receiver recommendation for turntable

Thanks for all the input guys.

@thedelihaus: I'm in Orlando, FL. Also I was hoping to spend under 200 for the receiver, because I still most likely have to buy new speakers, but if the Onkyo TX-8555 has that much better performance, I might just get that.

@jhoyt and Balifly: Those are a little more than I was looking to spend, thanks though.

@ARJohn: I found this: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3390-Performance/dp/B00198BOAM/ref=sr_1_2?

It's cheaper than the Onkyo thedelihaus suggested, so I might be interested in that as well.

@Frank Sol: Just a bit out of my price range.



hey combat, for whatever it's worth, i just in the last couple of days got a brand new Sherwood receiver RX-4109 on the Bay. The price was $105 shipped. Nice unit. Basic two-channel receiver...not a bad looking unit....spartan...not a lot of flash/bling, but good innards, including PHONO STAGE. Pretty good sound...105 watts per channel. may be worth checking into. steve
 
Hmm, I missed that when I looked. Probablly because I didn't know what Harman Kardon was. I'm going to e-mail the guy now, hopefully he still has it.
 
Hi,
Do you really need a tuner if not go with a good used integrated amp like a Creek 4330R with phono amp board or Nad like this one
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1302291108&/NAD-314

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1302328490&/NAD-3240pe-integrated
They are a lot better than any crappy new receiver. I had a Creek 4330R integrated amp with MC phono board for almost 11 years and it sill sounds great I may soon be moving up the Creek line to the Evolution 5350 integrated amp if I can put the money together.:thmbsp:
 
What's the difference between an integrated amp and a receiver?
The receiver has a tuner in it . Int amps are usually better like the creek as mentioned , but they sell for a lot more , but you can find deals and a tuner is like $10 or $20 anywhere used . You never know what might turn up used in your area .But that HK will sound pretty good for 50 bones as a 1 box solution . If you don't need or want radio , maybe search out int amps . But prices of receivers are hard to beat .
 
I don't know who makes H-K these days (for some reason I'm thinking they were part of the Sparkomatic merger) but there old stuff was outstanding. I think that HK (the new one) looks like the new one to go with. The NAD on Audiogon looks good too. I had one very similar and loved it.

That Yamaha is pretty, but well past your stated budget.

There is a Vector Research (not mine) on the bay right now for a song. Those are nice under the radar units.
 
I just got an e-mail back from the guy with the Harman Kardon AVR20. He still has it. I asked for pictures, and if it looks good, I might go with that. Is it a keeper?
 
Ah...Check around...What else can you find for $50??.. Go for it..Fast!! Take a chance on it, and you might end up Lucky...
 
You may want verify that any receiver/Integrated you buy has built-in phono stage. A lot of new products don't (my Onkyo 606 does not). Unless you already have a phono-preamp - if you said you did and I must have missed it (not fully caffeinated yet).
 
I don't have a preamp at the moment, that'll probably come much later. I'm 99% sure that the Harman Kardon has a phono input; the pictures on eBay show that it does. If I don't see it in the pictures he sends me, I'll ask to make sure.
 
I just got an e-mail from him asking if we could meet up Sunday morning. When he gives me a time and an address I'll head over there.
 
I just picked it up and hooked it up. It's in fantastic condition, sounds a ton better than the receiver I bought at Best Buy, and fifty bucks cheaper. I'm very satisfied with this. I still need to get my cartridge aligned though, and then I'll be set.
 
Back
Top Bottom