• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Epi 100's or KLH Model 6

I think in this case, go for the KLH speakers. I have owned the EPIs and they are wonderful - incredible sound quality for almost no money, but with the work done to the KLHs I think they are the better bargain here. You can plug them in and start enjoying right away. Plus, I think the KLH speakers are less common.

Either way though you really can't go wrong. I think if I had to pick from a sound quality point of view, a lot of it would depend on the highs. The EPIs will probably have a more detailed treble than the KLH, as that inverted tweeter really is something else. But I say this without having heard the KLH speakers so I could be completely wrong. Just an observation.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
 
I'll put my vote on the EPI speakers- all the parts are still readily available through Human Speakers! And a "recap" of the "crossover" is just replacing the 10uf cap in the wire going to the tweeter. I have many EPI speakers and love them all. Clear and pleasant.
 
Well, I went with the Model 6's.
Just brought 'em home and hooked 'em up. They auditioned great when I went to look at them, needless to say, I couldn't leave without them.
I'm now giving them their maiden voyage with The Clash, and moving on to a little Bob Mould.
The low end they bring sounds amazing with the highs of the Genesis' I have them paired with!
Good lord, I may never leave the house again!
The Klipsch's will be moving upstairs to the bedroom system.
I'm running them through a 35 WPC Technics SA 300, and I just may be holding off on that Marantz I've been undressing with my eyes. For a while anyway.
This system really sounds great together. ESPECIALLY the phono!
(of course, any vinyl junkie will always say just that...)
Thank you to everyone who gave me input and guidance! I can still clearly see a set of Epi 100's in my future, however I'm glad to hold out for a pair with wood veneer. (the one's I was scoping at the same time as the 6's, were vinyl. As were the 6's, but still...)
Peep these... home-5.jpg home-1.jpg home-4.jpg home-2.jpg KLH_model6-vinyl4.jpg KLH_model6-vinyl3.jpg
 
Well, I went with the Model 6's.
Just brought 'em home and hooked 'em up. They auditioned great when I went to look at them, needless to say, I couldn't leave without them.
I'm now giving them their maiden voyage with The Clash, and moving on to a little Bob Mould.
The low end they bring sounds amazing with the highs of the Genesis' I have them paired with!
Good lord, I may never leave the house again!
The Klipsch's will be moving upstairs to the bedroom system.
I'm running them through a 35 WPC Technics SA 300, and I just may be holding off on that Marantz I've been undressing with my eyes. For a while anyway.
This system really sounds great together. ESPECIALLY the phono!
(of course, any vinyl junkie will always say just that...)
Thank you to everyone who gave me input and guidance! I can still clearly see a set of Epi 100's in my future, however I'm glad to hold out for a pair with wood veneer. (the one's I was scoping at the same time as the 6's, were vinyl. As were the 6's, but still...)
Peep these... View attachment 745059 View attachment 745060 View attachment 745061 View attachment 745062 View attachment 745063 View attachment 745064

Congrats on the decision. And that is a very nice sounding receiver -- I had one once but let it go because I had too much gear.
 
Congrats on the Sixes. Very fine speakers. Are those Advents in the background? I had some NLA's but gave them to my son after acquiring various KLH speakers.
Enjoy your Sixes!
No c5corvette, they're not.
Actually, their a custom job. Genesis speakers in some old JBL cabinets. The guy I bought them from did an amazing job re-finishing the wood, and actually, he's responsible for the whole project.
They sound amazing. 2 way with those awesome Genesis inverted tweets, all new caps, new foam, I'm not quite sure what model Genesis the parts were lifted from, but he said the boxes were beyond repair. (hence the beautiful JBL cabs)
I could post some pics if you like...
 
Congrats! My first Six's were vinyl clad as well. They are responsible for putting the KLH bug in my head! They were my first recap and woofer reseal project. They were not as nice as yours, but they sounded great! Mine were from 1972, the end of the production run. My current pair are from 1963, and are great with tubes!
Glenn
 
Congrats! My first Six's were vinyl clad as well. They are responsible for putting the KLH bug in my head! They were my first recap and woofer reseal project. They were not as nice as yours, but they sounded great! Mine were from 1972, the end of the production run. My current pair are from 1963, and are great with tubes!
Glenn

Thanks, GD70! I've been glued into my music seat for four hours now (with the occasional pause to flip the l.p. I love 'em.
Definitely planted a "bug"!
The guy I bought them from was all about everything Kloss...
Listened to a nice pair of AR 6's.
I'll be keeping my eyes peeled...
 
Congrats on the 6's! Yes there are better speakers out there including my KLH 5's but the 6's are just magical when it comes to long term non-fatigue hours on end listening. They naturally play what I like to call the "lounge" sound. Laid back, warm, feel the bass with some jazz or vocals playing and of course a fireplace with a low crackling fire. Most likely a lounge setting from the 50's, 60's, or 70's. Yea, it was a hot steamy day here in NW Arkansas so that setting is a bit distant right now.
 
I was just looking at your pics again and GWAD! they look practically new! You lucked out with these. Obviously the previous owners took great care of them.
 
If the EPIs were vinyl, I would have done the same as you.

I really like my Twenty Threes... they're currently in a guest bedroom, and every time I clean in there I turn on the system. That's when I think I'm truly blessed as my guest bedroom system sounds so much better than what most people have period :)

Those really are great looking Sixes, congrats!
 
I was just looking at your pics again and GWAD! they look practically new! You lucked out with these. Obviously the previous owners took great care of them.
Yes! They definitely look new in person as well. Virtually flawless. And with the recap, and re-seal on the surrounds, hell, they practically ARE new!
...and yes, N8Nagel, blessed are those with Good Taste!
 
Congrats! My first Six's were vinyl clad as well. They are responsible for putting the KLH bug in my head! They were my first recap and woofer reseal project. They were not as nice as yours, but they sounded great! Mine were from 1972, the end of the production run. My current pair are from 1963, and are great with tubes!
Glenn
Hey GD70, Is there a way to date these? (and as much as I want to, I don't mean go to the prom), like, via the serial number perhaps? I've done some preliminary investigation, thought I'd ask before digging all day...
 
Hey GD70, Is there a way to date these? (and as much as I want to, I don't mean go to the prom), like, via the serial number perhaps? I've done some preliminary investigation, thought I'd ask before digging all day...
I did some online digging but came up empty, sorry. Serial number on mine was ASV6 06275, built 1972 I was told. Your numbers are higher, I would guess yours are also towards the end of production.
 
I just grabbed a pair of klh model 6. I have EPI 100w. I am going to test the KLH speakers this evening...

I refoamed and recapped the EPIs. I like how they sound. We will see if the KLHs can compete. Either way I have another cap job to do.
 
I just grabbed a pair of klh model 6. I have EPI 100w. I am going to test the KLH speakers this evening...

I refoamed and recapped the EPIs. I like how they sound. We will see if the KLHs can compete. Either way I have another cap job to do.

So far these KLH speakers are pretty impressive. Don't know if they are superior to the epis but they are not inferior...
 
Back
Top Bottom