• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Epicure 20 vs Genesis Model II?

Wes_in_VA

Super Member
I've been a fan of Epicure since I picked up a pair of 11's a couple of years ago.
The other day I stumbled into a pair of Genesis Model II's in good shape but needing a refoam, of course.
Today a pair of Epicure 20's has popped up nearby.

I'm curious about the sound qualities of the II's versus the 20's? I realize they've very, very different designs, and the specs say the II's go considerably lower, which makes sense.
I'm just looking for some opinions on the sound. I'm not sure if the 20's are worth it this point but I sure have loved my 11's and I'm looking very forward to the Model II's.
 
Register to hide this ad
I can't speak to the Epicures, but I am quite happy with my GIIs. Several speakers have come and gone including NLAs, stacked NLAs, ADS 570/2s, TF600s, NHT- 1a/SW1 combo. All obviously very different speakers with very different characteristics, but the GIIs have yet to be bumped.
I am currently running them with an Onkyo Integra A-809 integrated. The GIIs not only go lower, but go what I call deeper, meaning they seem to have more 'depth', if you will. The highs are sweet and clear with out being shrill, as the NLAs are to my ears. My only criticism would be the cheezy vinyl on the cabinets. If they continue to beat out the other contenders for that prized slot in my main system, I may re-do the cabs in some wood veneer.
I am surprised that they still fly so far under the radar as they do. Granted I don't have what some would call Hi-Fi, but I for one am quite happy with what I've got.
I'd like to hear your opinion once you've got yours up and kickin'.
 
Hmm. I have no idea why I typed Epicure Model 20 when what I meant was model 11...

At any rate, I finished refoaming the Model II's yesterday. I didn't do anything else to them yet: I wanted to see what they were like as they came to.
I'm really happy with them even though I haven't had much time with them nor have I been able to dial in placement. For now they're sitting on the stands that housed my DIY Aikos.
They go way low, for sure, and ronrico, I hear what you're saying about the "depth", too. A very full and rich sound. Overall very much like the Epicure 11's in all the good ways but with more room filling sound.
They're in my very small listening room for now and they're a bit much for the room. I'm looking forward to getting them in a bigger room and seeing what they do.
I also need to make sure they're sealed well, I'll recap them and hopefully get around to replacing that awful vinyl. They deserve better for sure.
 
Wes,
Glad you like 'em. I was beginning to think that I was the only one on the planet that did. I think that it's the cheap looking cabinets that make people think that they are junk. That is good for those who are looking for them, as they sell for short money.
I got new x-overs from Human Speakers for little more that what new parts would have cost. Hue eliminated the tweeter pot and uses 5-way binding posts on the x-overs for these. I also did a little bracing to the inside of the cabs.
Mine are on 12" stands and are tilted back slightly. As I said, they have yet to be bumped out of rotation. Let me know what you think after a re-cap.
'Ron'
 
Wes,
Glad you like 'em. I was beginning to think that I was the only one on the planet that did. I think that it's the cheap looking cabinets that make people think that they are junk. That is good for those who are looking for them, as they sell for short money.
I got new x-overs from Human Speakers for little more that what new parts would have cost. Hue eliminated the tweeter pot and uses 5-way binding posts on the x-overs for these. I also did a little bracing to the inside of the cabs.
Mine are on 12" stands and are tilted back slightly. As I said, they have yet to be bumped out of rotation. Let me know what you think after a re-cap.
'Ron'

You're definitely not alone; I've owned dozens of speakers, but the II's are, hands down, my favorites. Such a rich, smooth sounding speaker - they are fantastic at low volumes, too.
 
This morning I moved mine from my listening room into my family room system. That's a much larger room.
NOW we're really talking!
I really liked the Polk Monitor 10's I had in that setup but these Genesis speakers blew them away. Looks like the Polks will be doing duty at work.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • model II.jpg
    model II.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 912
  • model II 2.jpg
    model II 2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,034
  • model II 3.jpg
    model II 3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 40
OK, now we have 3 members of the 'I-love-G2s' club. I'd be curious to know if you hear a difference before/after re-cap. I didn't spend too much listening time before I re-did mine, but I know that I like what I've got now.
 
Wow. Checked out those x-overs at the Human Speakers site. That's pretty cheap! I'm assuming those are sold as "each" and not a pair? Do they come with binding posts??

My plan is to do the recap, then install some internal bracing, and then I'll get around to upgrading the internal wiring.
 
It's somewhat of an oranges and apples thing. As previously mentioned the Genesis 2 and Epicure 11 are similar with the major difference being that the Genesis goes deeper.

The Epicure 20 and EPI 201 (which I have) are more of an omni directional speaker with a upward facing woofer and tweeter in addition to a conventional forward facing woofer and tweeter. It has more of a 'live' sound due to the top drivers reflection off the ceiling. Winslow Burhoe (EPI founder) currently makes a very similar speaker called the Silent Speaker, the biggest difference is that it's ported and only has one set of drivers. That speaker has gotten good reviews in Stereophile and elsewhere.

I'd grab the Epicure 20 in a heartbeat.:thmbsp:
 
I own the Epicure Model 20's.

Simultaneously the most ragged, beatup pair I own, and also speakers that I will never let go.

They're just amazing.
 
Wes,
I believe the price is for each. With shipping I think I paid about $40 per. They come with 5-way binding posts and I think the wire was of better grade than original, but don't quote me, I'm at the need-to-remember stage of life. The x-overs even come with the necessary screws and felt sealant, pretty much plug and play. And as a bonus, the owner Hue, is a nice guy.
 
Wes,
I believe the price is for each. With shipping I think I paid about $40 per. They come with 5-way binding posts and I think the wire was of better grade than original, but don't quote me, I'm at the need-to-remember stage of life. The x-overs even come with the necessary screws and felt sealant, pretty much plug and play. And as a bonus, the owner Hue, is a nice guy.

That's a nice deal. You're right that by the time you guy all those parts you've gotta be *real* close to the price of the preassembled ones from him.
I'll give him a shout. Thanks!
 
o.k.-i'm sold-
an audio buddy has a pair on offer that need refoam. i think he told me
40 or 50 bucks and i passed at that time but after a run on Gen 1's
i'm convinced i 'need' them.
the smaller 1 and it's younger brother the 1+ are excellent bookshelf speakers.
i can't say enough good about them.
you guys are a bad influence...
 
Man, I tell you, these Model II's are just fantastic. Some of the more realistic bass I've heard from most any speaker. Truly a fantastic speaker. If these were the only speaker I could own, I could be happy.
 
I love my II's, even though they are relegated to the garage. My EPI A240's are my mains. I love the Burhoe decendants.
 
If you want to hear what they can do then listen to a good copy of The Planets by Gustav Holst with your eyes closed!!
 
Last night it was Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" on MOFI CD. The soundstage was at least 12" past each speaker. Simply fantastic.
 
Epicure 20s are very nice indeed. They sound fantastic with horn instruments but great all around.
Save the original drivers at all cost, they are special. The 8 inch woofers are run full range and really can't be substituted in my experience.
Humanspeakers.com has parts however.
 
I couldn't agree more.one of my 3 pairs of 1's has a "pioneer" brand woofer and they don't hold a candle to the originals.
 
Epicure 20s are very nice indeed. They sound fantastic with horn instruments but great all around.
Save the original drivers at all cost, they are special. The 8 inch woofers are run full range and really can't be substituted in my experience.
Humanspeakers.com has parts however.

My 20's will one day get some of that soak-thru epoxy used in the Biggles Altec thread, and resanded/painted. Need gaskets around the woofers (all recent refoams) and already recapped.

Someone here has a pair for sale, last I heard.

Enjoy your Epi's. :yes::thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom