• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Equality for quality equalizers...

audioagape7

Active Member
Are all equalizers created equal ? What are some of the best and why? Picked up an ADC sound shaper 525x at the thrift store today and in my opinion it sounds great and has some nice features as well!! o yeah price was $9.50 but it was 1/2 price today.. yippee !! total ;damages $4.75.. sorry this should be in general discussions.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Most equalizers fall into one of two categories, op amp and coil wound.

Op amp EQs have higher distortion levels but generally cost less.

Conversely, coil wound units generally have very low distortion but cost more.

I believe that a good coil wound EQ can help correct acoustic problems in your listening room.

This is where the AK purists begin heaping abuse on me. :D
 
I don't run an EQ but I have run one in a car only and always by Audio Control. also some Pro Audio ones such as Rane. I am sure the room correction type work well but I do not know much about them.
 
Then there's the graphics vs parametric thing ... trying to dial a graphics eq in to an aberrant frequency can be right painful, if it is indeed possible. A good parametric is infinitely adjustable for both bandwidth and frequency for the perfect "Q".

I bought my last eq a few months back ...

technics%20sh-9010.jpg


Hands down, best I ever had. Way more convenient than my McIntosh MQ104. Both allow me to stack frequencies for problem areas I have, but I don't need to fiddle around with swapping capacitors on the Technics. I still use the MQ104, but only to preload the bass curve on the speakers.

Now all I got to do is flip the several others I have laying about, collecting dust.
 
Then there's the graphics vs parametric thing ... trying to dial a graphics eq in to an aberrant frequency can be right painful, if it is indeed possible. A good parametric is infinitely adjustable for both bandwidth and frequency for the perfect "Q".

I bought my last eq a few months back ...

technics%20sh-9010.jpg


Hands down, best I ever had. Way more convenient than my McIntosh MQ104. Both allow me to stack frequencies for problem areas I have, but I don't need to fiddle around with swapping capacitors on the Technics. I still use the MQ104, but only to preload the bass curve on the speakers.

Now all I got to do is flip the several others I have laying about, collecting dust.

I have the same one, and agree that it's a really nice unit. Distances itself from 2,3,5,7 band EQs and possibly even 30 band EQs because of it's infinite adjustment possibilities.

Can select frequency and bandwidth of said frequency. Shifts so you can get +-24dB on a single point or a wide area. Not that anyone needs +-24dB but hey - it's possible.
 
Microphone was missing unfortunately, still enjoying the find regardless. Will be keeping my eyes open for one of those Technics though!!
 
Probably no piece of equipment is more polarizing than the equalizer; I doubt the argument for and against usng one will ever be settled. I happen to like equalizers -- sometimes. I use a 10-band eq in two systems, and no eq in three others. It depends on the type and placement of speakers in play. Oh, and I would have grabbed that ADC unit for $5, too.
 
Probably no piece of equipment is more polarizing than the equalizer; I doubt the argument for and against using one will ever be settled.

How COULD you use an EQ in your system?
Don't you know that the music was recorded to sound best with YOUR equipment in YOUR room and to match YOUR tastes?
You are destroying the music!

Or not :)
 
Last edited:
I use EQ's constantly, but only when recording and in PA systems. They are absolutely a godsend there.

The comment on coil vs op amp are absolutely spot on. As are the comments on price.

A parametric EQ is the greatest thing in the world when mixing. I don't have one anymore but it's one of the few things I think of in "if I only had..." tones.

I do use a (probably cheap) Radio Shack EQ when playing guitar live if I am going straight into the board rather than using an amp. I run a vAmp (a $30 used clone of a Line 6 Pod) and take the stereo outs (line level) into the eq- one side smiley and the other a big frown. It takes what is often a rather thin signal and makes it much easier for the guy in the soundbooth to mix.

I always figured that if I could use an eq to make my home system sound better I either needed to change some thing in the system or something in the room. Usually something in the room.

But I could definitely be wrong about that. :scratch2:
 
Most of the mixes on cds that I listen to are to rich in the bass and lean in high end;I think its all up to what appeals to an individuals ears. Thats why i seem to like having the eq; it allows for some adjustment.
 
I have the same one, and agree that it's a really nice unit. Distances itself from 2,3,5,7 band EQs and possibly even 30 band EQs because of it's infinite adjustment possibilities.

Can select frequency and bandwidth of said frequency. Shifts so you can get +-24dB on a single point or a wide area. Not that anyone needs +-24dB but hey - it's possible.

Mine's a lot better now that I had the chance to raid your stash of spare parts. Let's here it for the man ... :rockon:

You showing up here made me feel guilty about not getting the thing where it belongs in the rack, so I went ahead and did the shuffle. I'd been holding off till I get my new amp built, but what da hey, eh. Here it is in it's permanent home.

sh9010-done.jpg


Slider and lights replaced, and she's ready to rock. Only complaint, not that I got it set properly, I got all them controls to play with, and no reason to play with them ... :cry:
 
Most equalizers fall into one of two categories, op amp and coil wound.

Op amp EQs have higher distortion levels but generally cost less.

Conversely, coil wound units generally have very low distortion but cost more.

I believe that a good coil wound EQ can help correct acoustic problems in your listening room.

This is where the AK purists begin heaping abuse on me. :D


I have a question. Some of my EQs are op amp based and some of mine are coil wound units, but I also have some that use discreet parts - transistors along with the electrolytic capacitors. Is that a third kind, or am I missing something...
 
If you need information on an ADC equalizer...good luck. I can barely find anything on my Sound Shaper Eleven.
 
I have a question. Some of my EQs are op amp based and some of mine are coil wound units, but I also have some that use discreet parts - transistors along with the electrolytic capacitors. Is that a third kind, or am I missing something...

The correct answer is ... all of the above.

Any of a number of ways to achieve the same objective, as with most electronics. The winner usually has the cleanest signal path and analog controls, as well as minimal bells and whistles.

Here's the inside of the SH9010 parametric ...

bild


Think that looks bad? Here's the inside of the 31 band Yamaha graphic it replaced.

yamaha-q2031.jpg


There's definitely a lot more going on than just a couple sliders though ... yeah ... definitely ...
 
Thanks sKiZo! I like the insides of both of those EQs. Some of the lower end Technics EQs I've had in the past were pretty much empty space inside.
 
The best EQ usable easily at home would be the Cello Audio Palette. Which is also in very high demand in the recording industry. The Coil wound EQ is superior to the Op amp types.
 
Back
Top Bottom