• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Equalizer connection question

I have my eq between the amp and preamp to have the ability to eq many sources. Tape loop on my preamp is used for a headphone amp so even if I had only one source I couldn't use it anyway.

Well, if you'd like to have the equaliser hooked to the tape-loop, you could always use y-splitters on the record-outputs, one branch each for the headphone amp, the other for the equaliser.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I have sourced a 'as-new' replacement Kube and happy to go there if the rerouted set up is not the cause of the noise culprit. Worth a punt? Link to noise in thread above.
 
Well, if you'd like to have the equaliser hooked to the tape-loop, you could always use y-splitters on the record-outputs, one branch each for the headphone amp, the other for the equaliser.

Would splitting the signal degrade the sound further?
 
Hi Jetstream/joesp9, I think I have found the culprit. Have a look at the pictures below of the ac adapter, that surprised me! The inside of the Kube looks immaculate, I appreciate difficult to tell damage, but given the signal noise started after some time warming up, and got worse. Very quickly, I'm guessing this is the problem.

What do you think? Im hoping I could replace the adapter and try again.

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0055.JPG
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1
chodad: Usually it rather wouldn't, unless the y-adaptors/-adaptor-cables would be rather bad. But of course that would always also depend a bit on how much of a "golden ear" you are. And one could certainly also imagine problematic circumstances - like for example a source with very high output impedance that might hence show some reaction due to the lower load impedance (unless the pre-amp would sport buffered tape-loops, of course), in which case (or at least in case one would like the somewhat altered sound less...) it would indeed be wiser to use a switch instead of simple y-splitting, as jetstream has already suggested above.

That said, I guess I should point out that I've foremost mentioned that hook-up alternative for the record, so you'd be aware of it. So that shouldn't imply a strong suggestion to try it, because I would really expect a significant improvement compared to your current hook-up. But there might be at least a little improvement (or difference you might happen to prefer), and giving it a try wouldn't seem all too expensive - so if you're curious, you might want to try it nevertheless...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I think I've been a bit of a Twonk - the adapter markings are welds, not arcing!! And the noise on the speakers after connecting the EQ direct to DAC source is, I think, amp clipping as my current amp cannot cope with the active equalisation in lower range.

I thought the noise appeared after warming up, but it was more about the playlist, which progressed into music with a heavier mid and bottom section.

So, I have treated myself and bought a new amp, just like the old one but more - Audio Analogue Maestro Duecento (new old stock). And I also sourced an unused Kef Kube!

Fingers crossed.
 
Update: I replaced my graphic eq with a parametric eq in my system with many sources. The floor noise is considerably lower with the parametric unit. I placed my graphic eq in a system with a single source and ran it through the tape loop, the sound noticeably improved there too. Problem solved!
 
Hey guys I've been reading this thread and understand hooking EQ (SA-9500) in the tape loop and RTR in EQ input/output. I also want to try to add RG1 into the mix, were would it go? In tape loop before or after EQ? Receiver is an SX-580. Phono is in phono input, CD should go to AUX right? No pre-outs on receiver just 1 tape loop.
 
Back
Top Bottom