• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Equalizer with Spectrum analyzer. Silly, but I want one.

Guess I'm silly too then. If only for the old school light show I want one with my Yamaha 85 trifecta stack.

EQ-1100 or EQ-550? Recommendations/thoughts/advice/experiences in regard to those two only would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 
Guess I'm silly too then. If only for the old school light show I want one with my Yamaha 85 trifecta stack.

EQ-1100 or EQ-550? Recommendations/thoughts/advice/experiences in regard to those two only would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Hello, sorry to see nobody replied and now, two years later, it surely waaaay too late but anyway…

the EQ-1100 is, by far, a much better gear than the EQ-550; I know very well because I have the both of them; the 1100 is in use in my main system, here it is:
it is doing room correction and, believe me, it does it very well.
The 550 is in use in a secondary system and works great but it lacks many features compared with the 1100.
Hope this helps
 
I've wanted an EQ-630 for a few years now,
but couldn't justify the cost since I only wanted
to use the display. In the meantime, the Kenwood
GE-5010 doesn't look too out of place on my
AX-900/TX-900 stack.
 
Are there any videos of these actually being used as a spectrum analyzer with a mic? I looked at a bunch of videos, and all have the mic unplugged.

Are these actually useful as a RTA tool?
 
Are there any videos of these actually being used as a spectrum analyzer with a mic? I looked at a bunch of videos, and all have the mic unplugged.

Are these actually useful as a RTA tool?
You only plug the mic in while you are measuring and adjusting. Once adjusted you remove the mic. These are useful, but the technology is quite primitive compared to modern computer based analysis like dirac and others.
 
Most EQ's are just visual disco but the ones with pink noise generators caught my attention but... I don't use them so I won't bloviate.
 
I've got an EQ-630 and like the spectrum analyzer. Separate for each channel. The red matches my MX 1000 and TX 1000.
 
Are there any videos of these actually being used as a spectrum analyzer with a mic? I looked at a bunch of videos, and all have the mic unplugged.

Are these actually useful as a RTA tool?
Yes, they can be used for room correction and all in the analog field. Ok, they are limited in capabilities and the low end brands induce distortion but that is not the case of the Yamaha EQ-1100; it adjusts everything by itself and, from there, you can create other custom curves.
I got rid of an awful saturation at the 125hz band thanks to the analysis made by the EQ.
 
Being a Yamaha fan I really want an EQ-630 or EQ-1100 or something. Admittedly because I enjoy hunting components.

Seems like these are toys from yesteryear and the modern opinion is that they are not serious gear that only add noise. Or, can a decent one have any sonic benefit?
I think they are cool to watch.
 
Keep in mind my post institutes a lower end spectrum EQ. I owned a TEAC (don't remember model) w/spec, passive capability and I loved it for many years. I got an itch to remove it from my audio chain and when I did it opened up my entire system. I used it ONLY for the display, always passive, but it's still connectors and wire, which obviously effected overall sound quality. Just my 2 cents.
 
Yeah it's a "zombie" thread but I'm thinking about adding an EQ to my stash. In the past I've been against them cuz I'm signal path anal...butt, now I'm interested in the EQ's with the pink noise generators ONLY & wondered what ya'll recommend in Yamaha EQ's? I'm leaning towards the GE-60 at the moment.

Pink noise Jones

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Yeah, i think the GE-60 is a great unit. Seems like it sold pretty well so they can be found for reasonable prices. Getting the microphone (MM-60 electret condenser microphone) is important if you want to use the pink noise generator function.
 
Yeah it's a "zombie" thread but I'm thinking about adding an EQ to my stash. In the past I've been against them cuz I'm signal path anal...butt, now I'm interested in the EQ's with the pink noise generators ONLY & wondered what ya'll recommend in Yamaha EQ's? I'm leaning towards the GE-60 at the moment.

Pink noise Jones

Thanks
Thanks, now you made me make an impulse buy and purchase an EQ-1100U...
 
Thanks, now you made me make an impulse buy and purchase an EQ-1100U...
Glad I could help...:biggrin: Only took 7 years, lol. I gotta narrow down between the EQ-1100U and GE-60 now. For me it comes right down to that Nippon Gakki logo on the back. GE-60 has it I believe but only cost 380 beers new in 1985. That 1100 beast was 600 beers new in 1987. Both are pink noise Jones. Awww heck, decisions :idea:.
Garsh, I lean toward Nippon Gakki due to solder pad experiences in the past, but my soldering has become much better. Saying this cuz I gotta recap everything for some reason.
Enjoy the piece man, lemme know how it goes.
 
Last edited:
Glad I could help...:biggrin: Only took 7 years, lol. I gotta narrow down between the EQ-1100U and GE-60 now. For me it comes right down to that Nippon Gakki logo on the back. GE-60 has it I believe but only cost 380 beers new in 1985. That 1100 beast was 600 beers new in 1987. Both are pink noise Jones. Awww heck, decisions :idea:.
Garsh, I lean toward Nippon Gakki due to solder pad experiences in the past, but my soldering has become much better. Saying this cuz I gotta recap everything for some reason.
Enjoy the piece man, lemme know how it goes.
My answer was to get both. :p I have some other ones too, like an EQ-630 that is pretty to look at.
 
It would be fun to do room correction with REW, then compare that with the results of these older EQ's with pink noise... or maybe measure the room with REW without the EQ, then with the EQ and flat settings from using the pink noise.
 
Back
Top Bottom