• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Equalizer with Spectrum analyzer. Silly, but I want one.

Yay a new toy. Honestly I had to research wtf REW is.
Are there a buttload of caps in the GE-60 & the EQ-1100U? My research suggests those 2 pieces are the best bank for the buck...per audiogon.

(Buttload=more than 30)
 
Yay a new toy. Honestly I had to research wtf REW is.
Are there a buttload of caps in the GE-60 & the EQ-1100U? My research suggests those 2 pieces are the best bank for the buck...per audiogon.

(Buttload=more than 30)
You just want them so you can re cap them ;)

LOL

Nashou
 
You just want them so you can re cap them ;)

LOL

Nashou
I'm not a capaholic seriously man...But, I feel it's my duty to rescue Yamaorphans via re-capping before more serious things fail.

Nippon Gakki's gotta get cap'd though!
I'm thinking the GE-60 would pair well with my C-60/M-60 stack...and the GE1100U would pair well with my RX-1100U...:hug:

:banana:
 
Last edited:
Yay a new toy. Honestly I had to research wtf REW is.
Are there a buttload of caps in the GE-60 & the EQ-1100U? My research suggests those 2 pieces are the best bank for the buck...per audiogon.

(Buttload=more than 30)
Received the EQ-1100U. Mostly air inside.

Buttload of caps = True (but they are all pretty small, so probably not too expensive to replace if you want)

1780955500548.png

Super caps for memory retention.
1780955848794.png
 
Last edited:
I'll bet that GE-60 has a service panel...but I don't know. This could be the deciding factor. :idea:

Him haw Jones
 
Being a Yamaha fan I really want an EQ-630 or EQ-1100 or something. Admittedly because I enjoy hunting components.

Seems like these are toys from yesteryear and the modern opinion is that they are not serious gear that only add noise. Or, can a decent one have any sonic benefit?
The heart wants what the heart wants.
 
Can anyone tell me if there is any noticeable difference in the 630 vs 1100 schematics?
I have an 1100 and I'm thinking about upgrading the capacitors, mainly in the power supply. However, they are decades old.

The 630 schematic can be found online but the 1100 is not, (behind a paywall)

EDIT: Uh! comparing the interior pictures, the 1100 is a totally different animal!
Much more stuff.
 
Last edited:
I only wish I could hook up my older EQ-1100 to my R-N2000!! Anyway, I know it will never happen, I wish Yamaha would include a Processor/Coupler Loop in their next generation of A-S amplifiers… For “us” who are still in love with our black boxes and other add-ons, even if it goes against the purist!! Being in my 60s and retired from two careers that were hard on the ears… My eyes are more forgiving than my ears since the eyes still enjoys the little light shows!!
 
i had an eq-630 for a while. i paid alot for it but i was able to get my money back out of it.

it is great for eye candy, especially if you have a yamaha stack and an amp with red meters.

the problems that i had with it:

--no meter level adjustment. so unless you adjusted every freq. to 'cut' , the display was slammed when listening to cd....... with vinyl, only certain freq. were slammed but it was enough for me to find extremely annoying.

--adjustment resolution is in 2dB steps. there is no fine adjustment. some may not care but i did.

--it is extremely overpriced.

gutshot. recapped and a new battery. . . the original battery came soldered to the pcb upright. at the time the only replacements were overseas and incredibly expensive(for a battery) so i went with the hardwired battery you see here. (comes with dbl sided tape)

yammie eq 001.jpg

yammie eq finished 005.jpg

yammie eq finished 004.jpg

harmony has the remote codes.
 
Ooh I wasn't aware it had a battery. I had a different piece with a similar set up...IIRC it was a common battery soldered in. Like a CR2025 or similar. I actually tried to solder it in and...well...it wasn't fun. The solder didn't wanna stick, lol.
 
Ooh I wasn't aware it had a battery. I had a different piece with a similar set up...IIRC it was a common battery soldered in. Like a CR2025 or similar. I actually tried to solder it in and...well...it wasn't fun. The solder didn't wanna stick, lol.
it was nothing special. just a cr2032 hardwired for a laptop cmos backup.

there is a tech bulletin in the back of the service manual that hifiengine has that describes a memory backup mod/replacement that involved cutting traces and other things for early production models.

the bulletin describes how to tell if your unit requires this mod or if it has been done from the factory. mine was already done.

actually, here...if this wire is present, it has already been modded

Annotation 2026-06-21 213742.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom