• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Excellent article on the "Loudness Wars"

Register to hide this ad
Thanks for the link, very interesting.

I wonder when labels will start appearing on CDs that designate whether they're part of the loudness wars or not. Or maybe flippable CDs, one side for tv/mp3s and the other side for critical listening. Radio stations will probably start touting their "Turn Me Up" status like they did in the 80s with the "All CD" stations.

I sure hope so.
 
What I wonder is that when this gets out to the general public, and all the Joe Shmoes out there realise that they've been paying good money for crappy music, I wonder what then this will do to the music industry???

Class action suit against RIAA??? :banana:

PS: It says in that article to turn up the volume (on the music mixed at normal levels). Problem is there is no volume to turn up on todays gear...
 
...I wonder when labels will start appearing on CDs that designate whether they're part of the loudness wars or not...

What a great idea. Maybe a label that says: "Natural Dynamics" or something similar, as opposed to the manipulated sounds that we're hearing today.

I was impressed with the article as well. It seems that so many articles that appear in the "popular media" are written by whoever got stuck with the assignment, and it shows.
 
I couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed in this article.

Oh, and if you've never listened to Death Cab for Cutie before, you owe it to yourself to check out one of their recordings!
 
Brian, YourMusic has "Plans", a 2005 release. Are you familiar with it? Is it a good example of their music? Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Clay
 
Brian, YourMusic has "Plans", a 2005 release. Are you familiar with it? Is it a good example of their music? Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Clay

"Plans" is nice, but it's not my favorite DCFC release. A better place to start would be their 2003 album "Transatlanticism."
 
turnmeup.org <-- fixed link

Turn Me Up!™ is a non-profit music industry organization campaigning to give artists back the choice to release more dynamic records. To be clear, it's not our goal to discourage loud records; they are, of course, a valid choice for many artists. We simply want to make the choice for a more dynamic record an option for artists.

Today, artists generally feel they have to master their records to be as loud as everybody else's. This certainly works for many artists. However, there are many other artists who feel their music would be better served by a more dynamic record, but who don't feel like that option is available to them.

This all comes down to the moment a consumer hears a record, and the fear that if the record is more dynamic, the consumer won't know to just turn up the volume. This is an understandable concern, and one Turn Me Up! is working to resolve.
 
There is no doubt that my old cd's have more dynamics, nuances and feel than the ones of today. More warmth if that's at all possible with digital. I pull out a first release of say Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd or any early Steely Dan and it's a world better than the way things are being recorded or produced today.
 
Yes, a very good article.

I've been arguing in favor of reduced compression to restore dynamics to pop music for the past 10 years. Yet, it always falls on deaf ears (pun intended).

Perceived volume levels these days on super-compressed digital media are ridiculously high. Many, MANY times, I'll receive albums to master that are already so viciously compressed, I simply cannot do anything with them due to the complete lack of any headroom.

I've even asked engineers and producers if their material had a pass through a 20 ton press before I received it. Of course, this generally gets me canned as the mastering engineer; but I'd rather master something I can actually improve, as opposed to receiving something that already looks like a southwestern desert plateau with valleys that have less variance than 3dB.

I really don't want my name on something like that, even if that means getting $200K more business per year.

. . Falcon
 
Yes, a very good article.

I've been arguing in favor of reduced compression to restore dynamics to pop music for the past 10 years. Yet, it always falls on deaf ears (pun intended).

Perceived volume levels these days on super-compressed digital media are ridiculously high. Many, MANY times, I'll receive albums to master that are already so viciously compressed, I simply cannot do anything with them due to the complete lack of any headroom.

I've even asked engineers and producers if their material had a pass through a 20 ton press before I received it. Of course, this generally gets me canned as the mastering engineer; but I'd rather master something I can actually improve, as opposed to receiving something that already looks like a southwestern desert plateau with valleys that have less variance than 3dB.

I really don't want my name on something like that, even if that means getting $200K more business per year.

. . Falcon

We go out and buy gear that has all the dynamics, headroom, etc., but we have to listen to cd's or other media that defeats it all, go figure!
 
Guys, if this sort of discussion interests you please do yourselves a favor and check out www.stevehoffman.tv

There are some really great people over there and they are as knowlegable about music as many here are about equipment... and when you match the two you are in Heaven!
 
Yes, a very good article.

I've been arguing in favor of reduced compression to restore dynamics to pop music for the past 10 years. Yet, it always falls on deaf ears (pun intended).
In your experience with dealing with the deaf ear folks, how do they justify not wanting to restore dynamics and do you think they have a point?
 
Me too!!:thmbsp:
Me three! :thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

Part of their platform should also address folks who have software that rips with dynamic compression always on and receivers that always play with max compression... triple compressed, yikes! :eek:

Also, though "Turn Me Up" is catchy, I just wish it had a more descriptive label. To me, your "Natural Dynamics" label makes more sense. People not knowing any better will wrongly think "the crap's already too loud, why make it louder???"
 
Back
Top Bottom